Phantom Vision in Pelican 1510 Case -Airline Carry On Size

Re: Phantom Vision in Pelican 1510 Case -Airline Carry On Si

Wow that HPRC case is super nice. I'm considering buying that.

For carry-on, one does not really need the severe duty cases that lose almost 3" in
width (14" down to near 11") and the tote handle that loses an extra inch in thickness
(9" down to 7.5" instead of 9" down to 8.5").

Rigid outside, but not stand-on crush proof, with room for suitable foam
might be a better, and more light-weight solution for a carry-on case.

Any hard-side carry-on luggage available?

My P2V is in a 1560... Recently flew on Southwest Airlines... No issues carrying on... Fits long way in overhead...

Attachments

• P2V-in-1560.jpg
    P2V-in-1560.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 1,058

That 1560 has great space, but is substantially wider than the 14" width
normally allowed for carry-on luggage.

Sure, sometimes one gets an airline or flight where they do not actually verify the
luggage size. However, some airlines these days are much more strict, and they can
insist that your luggage be checked in, sometimes for an extra $100 fee, if your
"carry-on" does not fit into their 22x14x9 "size-check box" (that they usually have
available for quickly checking any potential carry-on baggage).

Other than size, what are the regulations on batteries, and how is one
supposed to transport them?

In hard-side luggage that is described as "carry-on", many are technically
oversize, like 15 inches wide instead of the 14" permitted, like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Travelers-Choice- ... 009O52A5U/

This one appears to be 13.5 inches, so it might be a candidate:
http://www.amazon.com/CalPak-KLUB-Hards ... 003XVG6BK/

This one is more expensive, but apparently slightly larger:
http://www.amazon.com/eBags-Hardside-Sp ... 00B0PDT9S/

Anybody tried using luggage like this, with foam, to hold the P2V for carry-on?

garygid said:

Sure, sometimes one gets an airline or flight where they do not actually verify the
luggage size. However, some airlines these days are much more strict, and they can
insist that your luggage be checked in, sometimes for an extra $100 fee, if your
"carry-on" does not fit into their 22x14x9 "size-check box" (that they usually have

I have ordered the Pelican 1550 via Amazon. Will let you know how it goes.... I went with yellow as I think it's sufficiently obnoxious and cheaper than the other colors....
John

Waterborne said:
garygid said:

I have ordered the Pelican 1550 via Amazon. Will let you know how it goes.... I went with yellow as I think it's sufficiently obnoxious and cheaper than the other colors....
John

I just came by an older 1550 (yesterday) and find that it's a bit tight for the Phantom's height, unless you have the feet on the bottom of the case and not on any width of foam... I'd love to hear how you make out with yours.

-slinger

garygid said:
In hard-side luggage that is described as "carry-on", many are technically
oversize, like 15 inches wide instead of the 14" permitted, like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Travelers-Choice- ... 009O52A5U/

This one appears to be 13.5 inches, so it might be a candidate:
http://www.amazon.com/CalPak-KLUB-Hards ... 003XVG6BK/

This one is more expensive, but apparently slightly larger:
http://www.amazon.com/eBags-Hardside-Sp ... 00B0PDT9S/

Anybody tried using luggage like this, with foam, to hold the P2V for carry-on?

You and I are on the same wave length. I looked into this while back to thinking the same exact thing. If you are going to have it with you and not in the cargo hold you don't really need a bomb proof outer shell. The issue I found is two fold. They can get expensive and aren't really made for this and all needed modification including some kind of padding or foam. In the end I abandoned the project. Im still curious about it too though. If an option came up it would be great.

Currently I am working on an idea with a couple family members who used to sew, do upholstery etc and have the machines and knowhow to build me a back pack specifically for the PV2. It needs to be light and semi protective and meet TSA regs. Im going to Hawaii in April and want to hike around with the PV. But who knows if or when that will work out.

James

I keep thinking about (easily) removable or foldable landing skids. I don't need them to retract in flight using a Tx channel. I just keep thinking this thing would be easier to transport in carry on sized things it it wasn't so tall.

krb said:
I keep thinking about (easily) removable or foldable landing skids. I don't need them to retract in flight using a Tx channel. I just keep thinking this thing would be easier to transport in carry on sized things it it wasn't so tall.

You just need to be kind of careful with the compass being on one of the legs...

-slinger

krb said:

Hmm A foldable option would be sweet. Could definitely have a more compact case.

gunslinger said:
krb said:

You just need to be kind of careful with the compass being on one of the legs...

-slinger

I have had an issue after returning home with my phantom, but recalibrating it has solved the problems. Im not sure if the problems were encountered by airline security scanning the Phantom, or the problem could have been caused by a Mass Corona Ejection, which occurred about the time I took the Phantom up after returning home. At any rate, being careful of that compass is a good idea.

gunslinger said:
Waterborne said:
garygid said:

John

I just came by an older 1550 (yesterday) and find that it's a bit tight for the Phantom's height, unless you have the feet on the bottom of the case and not on any width of foam... I'd love to hear how you make out with yours.

-slinger

Pelican 1550 arrived Friday. Love the obnoxious yellow color! (Plus, it's cheaper). Stopped at Hobby Lobby for a draft cutting set plus an additional 5" blade. This was key as they cut the foam like butter. It is a snug fit with little padding on top and below but plenty all around support. The bird does not move in the case. I wrap the motors in anti-static bubble wrap from Office Depot. I have no plans to check the case nor throw it around so my confidence is high that everything is safe inside. My goal was to have protection of the unit, safety from my 5 monkeys all under age 11, carry-on capable and easy/quick access from open to launch -meaning no reattaching the phone mount or wifi extender. The case carries:
Quad (without blades on)
RC unit with wifi and iPhone mount attached
Screwdriver
Small foil bag of original accessory items
4 dbl "A" batteries
2 full sets of propeller blades
Additional Colorado Sky stickers/labels
Charger block and cord
USB cable
Micro SD card container
iPhone anti glare adhesive layers (if needed)
IPhone slot (if needed)
Room to pluck an additional battery slot

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 620
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 570
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 631

Additional pics:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 753
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 554
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 545

Thanks for posting. Its goos to see it in the case. Seem just about right. I wish it were just an inch or so narrower to fit closer to the airline regs but its close (ish). I have read guys taking the 1560 on flights with no issues so you should be good (most of the time). Im still on the fence but this seems like a good option too.

Just did some browsing and found this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control ... &A=details
add this foam (same size)
http://www.casesbysource.com/product/na ... 21118-foam

and you have a nice rolling hard case that meets the spirit of the airline carry on size and is cheap (relatively)

I think I have found my case.

Attachments

• SBK case.png
    SBK case.png
    154.1 KB · Views: 513
  • Nanuk foam.png
    Nanuk foam.png
    155.6 KB · Views: 540
  • Screen Shot 2014-01-12 at 2.20.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-01-12 at 2.20.12 PM.png
    67.2 KB · Views: 446

JustJames said:
Thanks for posting. Its goos to see it in the case. Seem just about right. I wish it were just an inch or so narrower to fit closer to the airline regs but its close (ish). I have read guys taking the 1560 on flights with no issues so you should be good (most of the time). Im still on the fence but this seems like a good option too.

Just did some browsing and found this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control ... &A=details
add this foam (same size)
http://www.casesbysource.com/product/na ... 21118-foam

and you have a nice rolling hard case that meets the spirit of the airline carry on size and is cheap (relatively)

I think I have found my case.

Be careful on that height. The Pelican height is listed at 7.62 and just barely fits. Having the 1550, I would not go any lower on height.

Yeah it could be snug. But I figure if it fits in the 1510 (very snug) then it should fit in this just a wee bit better. Ideally I would love a smidge more room but the regs are the regs (airline) and it is what it is. For the price i think I can make it work. I think. I'll let ya know. Im going to order this week.

J

JustJames said:
Yeah it could be snug. But I figure if it fits in the 1510 (very snug) then it should fit in this just a wee bit better. Ideally I would love a smidge more room but the regs are the regs (airline) and it is what it is. For the price i think I can make it work. I think. I'll let ya know. Im going to order this week.

J

Greetings:

The 1510 is very snug but it makes it in there and nothing shifts around when you move the case. The 1550 case looks nice though.

Thanks,
Chuggie

Chuggie said:
JustJames said:

J

Greetings:

The 1510 is very snug but it makes it in there and nothing shifts around when you move the case. The 1550 case looks nice though.

Thanks,
Chuggie

I have a 1550 lying around. It looks too shallow to hold a P2V... It actually makes it???

-slinger

Yeah looks just right in a compact but usable sense. Wayerborne shows pics in here just check it out. The specs say its 7.65 in high. Chuggies 1510 is right at 7.6.

J

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20