Phantom Vision in Pelican 1510 Case -Airline Carry On Size

Re: Phantom Vision in Pelican 1510 Case -Airline Carry On Si

My 1510 showed up today and I agree it's a tight fit. The Phantom's arms are wide enough that they actually hang over the inside lip of the case. See pic.

So when I close the lid I almost wonder if the Phantom's shell is being squeezed/compressed/bent a little so that the lid shuts all the way.

Interested to hear from other 1510 owners on this.

Thanks.

tybesaby.jpg

Thinking about this, I could probably use a Dremel to remove just a bit of the case to accommodate the arms. I'm sure this would void the warranty but would remove the pressure/stress on the Phantom's shell and realistically wouldn't compromise the integrity of the case.

AresSK said:
My 1510 showed up today and I agree it's a tight fit. The Phantom's arms are wide enough that they actually hang over the inside lip of the case. See pic.

So when I close the lid I almost wonder if the Phantom's shell is being squeezed/compressed/bent a little so that the lid shuts all the way.

Thanks.

tybesaby.jpg

I flew with this case this weekend, no problems. I hear your concern, I think that it may be wiser to use a bar that slightly expands the case at the center to gain the clearance you're looking for?

When I bought this one, there is another case that Pelican has their name on- maybe a 'Storm' case? It actually allows the phantom to fit down into the case without touching the sides- and I opted for the 1510 because I thought tight is better **if it's in my care** as in carry on. If it was going to be thrown (as if the airlines might throw it), you probably want some clearance.

I like the 1510 better than the larger case that I had previously. Compact and less cumbersome. The DJI sticker on the case in the airport started 6 conversations for me during travel, fun chats for sure.

The sticker I used: http://www.signsoflife.net/phantom-case-logo.php

(and shameless self-promotion)

Final word: Pelican 1510 = good.

:cool:

I discovered that if I move my phantom to a far end where two of the arms are tucked in the corners of the case that it fits just right. I guess the walls of the case aren't exactly straight.

This is nice because the corners aren't flexible so the arms there are protected. The other two arms are in the middle of the case where you can apply pressure and get the sides to flex. I like your idea of putting a cross bar their for extra support.

While I plan on using this case for carry-on, there are times where I might be on a puddle jumper or commuter or a full flight where I'm forced to gate check. A little extra protection with a cross bar couldn't hurt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

airlines seem little more relaxed here bout carryons sizes weights etc .... but am paranoid of having it for carryon and then not being able too .... so have gone for the HPRC PHA case for full protection all round then if stowed wont be so jumpy about it getting damaged .... hopefully ... as never say never in this world LOL ;)

AresSK said:

Thanks.

tybesaby.jpg

I have packed the phantom into the 1510 case over a hundred times now, and everything still works well, even though the fit is very tight.

Hi guys,
I have been using pelican cases for work for a long time and I have to say they have the best customer service I have ever seen.
A friend of mine had a really old pelican case, they don't make that model any more, the wheel got knocked off. He drove to Pelican, in Torrance Ca I think, showed them the wheel he wanted to replace and they laughed and handed him a brand new case of about the same size and said thanks.
another time I was working in the jungle and we needed to keep audio gear out of the rain so we drilled holes in the side of a pelican case ran the cables in and sealed with silicon. the mixer and recorder stayed dry and sand free for days. when we got back the cases were sent to pelican to see about filling the holes, again they just mailed the company new cases, no questions.
I also use storm cases for my luggage because they are the same company as pelican and are a little lighter and have better latches.
by the way I do not work for pelican I am just a fan.

I also wanted to let you guys know about this place

http://www.mycasebuilder.com/

they do custom foam and you can design it your self for your case or buy one from them.

I am working on pick n pluck foam for my 1510 today, don't forget to spray it with super 77, it makes it last longer.

Jabtyler said:
Hi guys,
I have been using pelican cases for work for a long time and I have to say they have the best customer service I have ever seen.
A friend of mine had a really old pelican case, they don't make that model any more, the wheel got knocked off. He drove to Pelican, in Torrance Ca I think, showed them the wheel he wanted to replace and they laughed and handed him a brand new case of about the same size and said thanks.
another time I was working in the jungle and we needed to keep audio gear out of the rain so we drilled holes in the side of a pelican case ran the cables in and sealed with silicon. the mixer and recorder stayed dry and sand free for days. when we got back the cases were sent to pelican to see about filling the holes, again they just mailed the company new cases, no questions.
I also use storm cases for my luggage because they are the same company as pelican and are a little lighter and have better latches.
by the way I do not work for pelican I am just a fan.

I also wanted to let you guys know about this place

http://www.mycasebuilder.com/

they do custom foam and you can design it your self for your case or buy one from them.

I am working on pick n pluck foam for my 1510 today, don't forget to spray it with super 77, it makes it last longer.

Great post. But.....what the H is Super 77?

@waterborme any chance of seeing those videos of your phantom in your pelican 1550? I'm close to pulling the trigger on the 1550 for my p2! Cheers

JustJames said:
After all that I decided to go with a backpack set up for hiking around. A cinema bag made for camera equipment. It has worked out well AND will meet the TSA standard easily. I'll keep my 1560 Pelican for day to day use and the pack for hiking and travel. Oh and I found the bag used on Craigs list for $90...normally $200 new.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/8 ... kpack.html
:D
That looks like a nice backpack!

I took a trip to Hawaii with mine and was glad I had a backpack! The small regional airplanes were the concern for space. Those overhead bins just barely fit mine. It measures 21"x 13"x 8.5". GPC from B&H.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    972.4 KB · Views: 549

The carry on Pelican is well worth the investment. I just traveled down to the Texas Gulf cost, and the airlines lost our checked bags. If my Phantom was in a lost checked bag, I would have pulled the rest of my hair out. But I had the phantom in the pelican carry on, so I got to go out on the beach and fly (in my smelly cloths that I wore the day before). Check out my fun beach video from the trip.

[youtube]

Im searching for a case or backpack that I can bring as Carry On on almost if not all fly companies.. but neither the 1510 nor the EMS (1550EMS) is accepted on all.. the 1510 is pretty much it, but the ems (1550) is not.

check this page out --> http://www.pelican.com/airline_allowance_medium2_new.php

Im searching for a case or backpack that I can bring as Carry On on almost if not all fly companies.. but neither the 1510 nor the EMS (1550EMS) is accepted on all.. the 1510 is pretty much it, but the ems (1550) is not.

check this page out --> http://www.pelican.com/airline_allowance_medium2_new.php

I've got a B&W type 61 case for my phantom & later this year I'm off to the Caribbean via Miami. Would love to take my phantom with me but just don't know as yet if I can take my case on as "carry on" also I must think about the battery side of things too, do I chance it... I'm in two minds at the mo...:(

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj