Phantom P3 CE version - 13,000 feet FULL Signal Bars - THE LONG RANGE THREAD

Reaction score
OK another one of those R&D days.. too windy to fly but need to check range...

Powered up the phantom... put inside a car and drove it 4km away and took it out of the car. Immediately as it came out of the vehicle RC end locked onto the phantom and we had a link up. Took a screenshot just to show that it can be done.The only downside is as soon as soon as you power up the phantom the Home position is locked 13,000 feet away and you will now show 0 feet travelled.

The potential is great.. limiting factor is battery life. No need to panic about radio if you got LOS. No need for Amps and big bull antennas. Going to mod the controller for external antennas to see if I can take this 10 miles but hey at the moment I am happy.

image.jpg

Reactions: Jan Erik and TonG
Great experiment mohan, shows the CE model is not limited by any stretch of the imagination. LOL ;)

So was it the phantom you left behind driving away with the controller, or the controller left behind.

2 people involved - on PMR radios - I was on controller other person driving away. it is there jeans you can see in the video. Could have taken off and and bought it back but did not want to take the chance with the windy conditions in the mountains.

European version supposed to be less power than non european version (FCC) supplied elsewhere

European version is the same like the other versions.Today i fly with mine 4KM with full signal bars.

European version is the same like the other versions.Today i fly with mine 4KM with full signal bars.

Thats good to hear..

why would one want to mod with antennas etc when you get such great distance stock? wow !

Because like anything in life you have to push things further otherwise there will be no progress. Tested 2.4Ghz link at 10 miles and video was working (Not lightbridge). So technically the 2.4Ghz technology should get to around 10 miles with reasonable antenna technology. Yes the battery it won't get you there yet .... but working on solutions..

Reactions: dirkclod
I got 4.5km with my ce p3a:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Jimpic
I got 4.5km with my ce p3a:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Excellent - all very promising

I'm sorry???!!!! 10 miles!?!? On stock antenna!?!

Not on stock antenna but testing using an antenna system independently which is been tested for extreme range. Next step is to couple it to the LB Tx and see if it will translate to the same range. No amps were used so it was a nice surprise.

I did 5km in Poland today on stock antennas and CE mode (if such a thing exists). I could have gone further.. no particular reason for turning around except I was worried about losing my favourite toy in a foreign land :)

There and back in 13 mins with 39% battery remaining. It was a lovely calm evening. The only metallic interference was an old guy wobbling past on a squeaky bicycle, but the P3 took it in it's stride.

Reactions: Bebeone
I did 5km in Poland today on stock antennas and CE mode (if such a thing exists). I could have gone further.. no particular reason for turning around except I was worried about losing my favourite toy in a foreign land :)

There and back in 13 mins with 39% battery remaining. It was a lovely calm evening. The only metallic interference was an old guy wobbling past on a squeaky bicycle, but the P3 took it in it's stride.
Old guys wobbling could have lots of metal replacement parts in em too bro ;)
You guy's long runs is getting to me ! :D

3.5km. all but one bar. could have gone farther but there was a ridge .........well you can see :)

File May 24, 10 37 09 AM.png

If it were not for the much extended flight time, I may never fly my matrix-s with dragon link again!! :)

There is only one version of the Phantom 3, it sets output power based on your lacation via gps, so if your in CE location you get 16dbm and FCC you get 20dbm

it does not seem to be affecting range at all though so far

The phantom 3 uses the gps to locate if you in ce territory or fcc and sets the power accordingly

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31