phantom has been sitting for nearly 2 years....before flying again questions

Reaction score
Life got in the way and I want to get back into flying again.

Obviously I have a ton of updates pending. Firmware, software, etc. I dont know what all my updates are currently at but I am sure I can look. My question is should I do them?

I know in the past updates have typically made things more restritive on the capabilities of the drone. I haven't kept up with the industry news either. It has been over a year, probably close to 2 years. I seem to remember loads of complains back in the day when I was active that every update seemed to make things worse. Is this still the trend? Should i ignore all the pending updates and just go fly?

Should i ignore all the pending updates and just go fly?
That's what I would do - take your time, go slow, sift through it all first. And please write down all the current versions first. Also, you may need an older version of the GO app at first, which can be found at phantomhelp.com

Conversely,. the idea of updating firmware for the sake of updating firmware puts the wind up my sails. The number of threads that start "I did an update and...." is, to me, off putting

One thing I would suggest doing is testing your battery/ies in LOW and near-to-you flight several times, right the way through the voiltage range within which you normally fly. You don't want to be caught out at distance or height by a battery which is on its way out

Conversely,. the idea of updating firmware for the sake of updating firmware puts the wind up my sails. The number of threads that start "I did an update and...." is, to me, off putting

One thing I would suggest doing is testing your battery/ies in LOW and near-to-you flight several times, right the way through the voiltage range within which you normally fly. You don't want to be caught out at distance or height by a battery which is on its way out
updates may get you excited however i dont want to have less functionality and range. The purpose of me asking was to see if this was a trend with updates over the last year or two

Reactions: Shives
The purpose of me asking was to see if this was a trend with updates over the last year or two
I am still using 2 year old firmware. No issues with any APP updates, if that helps you choose. If she still flies good, ignore the firmware change. 1.8.8 to be exact.

updates may get you excited however i dont want to have less functionality and range. The purpose of me asking was to see if this was a trend with updates over the last year or two

I think this might be an English/American translation problem, "puts the wind up my sails " is NOT complimentry. Updates do not excite me, quite the opposite in fact.

"threads that start "I did an update and...." is, to me, off putting" applies to a bunch more stuff than just our drones too. Think about it.

:oops::oops: EXIT THIS WAY.....? ( I am following ).......

As has been said, ignore the updates for the time being but make a note of what version you are running where but cycle your batteries a couple of time to "wake them up". They don't like being idle for long periods so check their charge first per the manual. If still above 50% put them in, start the motors with props and let them go down to one LED. Recharge them and repeat and then check the "life left" per the manual. All OK, safe to fly with them.
Have look at what any "update" would offer you over what you have at the moment and go for it. I updated because I wanted the "POI" and "Follow me" facility otherwise no need.

Put your phone / tablet into Flight Mode ... (if you need WiFi for a Standard - then enable this only) .. go fly.

When in Flight Mode - as long as nothings connected and detected update - you'll be left alone to ignore updates.

Go fly and enjoy.

With regard to batterys ... as suggested - do a test flight on each - see how long they go before low level .... before committing to serious flights.

As has been said, ignore the updates for the time being but make a note of what version you are running where but cycle your batteries a couple of time to "wake them up". They don't like being idle for long periods so check their charge first per the manual. If still above 50% put them in, start the motors with props and let them go down to one LED. Recharge them and repeat and then check the "life left" per the manual. All OK, safe to fly with them.
Have look at what any "update" would offer you over what you have at the moment and go for it. I updated because I wanted the "POI" and "Follow me" facility otherwise no need.

LiPo's do not cycle !! That's a hangover from the old NiCd days !! The only advantage of 'cycling' as put - is to reset the mA counter ... it does nothing else.

Reactions: 3rdof5

Obviously I have a ton of updates pending. Firmware, software, etc. I dont know what all my updates are currently at but I am sure I can look. My question is should I do them?

I know in the past updates have typically made things more restritive on the capabilities of the drone. I haven't kept up with the industry news either. It has been over a year, probably close to 2 years. I seem to remember loads of complains back in the day when I was active that every update seemed to make things worse. Is this still the trend? Should i ignore all the pending updates and just go fly?

Was the bird flying well when you put it away? If so, I would NOT update the firmware OR the software. Ignore the reminders you have to endure every time you fire up the bird. If you have an iPad, turn OFF "Automatic Updates." That's what I do. I couldn't be happier about that decision.

D

I've done both. Update on one and not the other. I would chose not to update were I to do it again. Make sure you use the early GO app! Current ones force updates.

I've done both. Update on one and not the other. I would chose not to update were I to do it again. Make sure you use the early GO app! Current ones force updates.

Go only forces Updates if you power up with internet connection available and it can receive DJI's prompt to update. Flight mode / not connect to Internet and what version GO you have makes no difference at all - it will not ask you to update.

But if you connect to internet at any time and Go is active - then it will receive the prompt and keep prompting you after till you update ...

I have all latest Fw / Go etc. and I have no problems at all ...

Not going to comment on firmware, software updates. First and foremost brush up on the new rules and regulations so you can be safe for yourself and the rest of us. A lot has changed in two years and you need to get up to date whether part 107 or recreational flyer. Please be safe.

I am pro-updating firmware.

But I would still at first fly this thing without any updates, just so you don't add more to the complexity.

You have other things to think about now, like the health of the batteries (that's the biggest thing here). The other thing you need to do is remind yourself of all the other things, controller controls, magnetic interference, all of those things that might you go "oh yeah, forgot about that too" without the added differences of newer firmware.

After that, consider if you want fixes to bugs and added safety features, those other pesky things that come with updates, such as possibly more restrictive geofencing (not, not all of the changes to that are more restrictive).

Chris

I was in the same predicament. I hadn't flown in over a year. In fact, one of my batteries got fat literally over the winter and I ended up tossing it. I just took it out to the Mts of Colorado. I did 4 flights: Over East Vail, Over a lake, over Snowmass, and into the valley of Rocky Mt National Park. Flew out. Flew circles. And flew back. No problems. Works fine. I did a calibration before my first flight and never did another on the trip. Everything was great.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic