Reaction score
Hi Guys. First Time Post. I have a dilemma that I would love some expert opinions on.

I was flying my P3 around last week and on it's way back to me i clipped a small branch that flipped the drone into a (luckily) pile of leaves. Only damage was a broken prop. Also a cable that connects to the gimbal was unplugged, and the battery was thrown from the drone. After replacing the prop and plugging in the cable, I re-synced, re-calibrated, and was airborne again within minutes. The problems began after the current battery died and I tried to fly again with a new battery. The controller would not connect to the drone, but even stranger than that, the Gimbal started beeping as if it was trying to do a firmware upgrade. Pattern went like this:

BB-BB-BB-BB (several times)
B-B-B-B-B-B-B (Few Minutes)
1 long continuous beep (indefinitely)

When i checked the logs it looked like it was trying to check the version of multiple devices to determine if an upgrade was required. I got the "multiple devices not detected" error so the firmware upgrade failed. Since I'm already on the latest firmware, i decided to just remove the firmware file from the SD card. It would give me 2 Beeps non stop without syncing. Tried the same thing without the SD card entirely and got the same results.

My question is, is this the definition of a corrupt firmware and how could it be caused from a crash? I've created a ticket with DJI but i would REALLY prefer not sending it to California as their turnaround right now is 4-6 weeks. Any insight at all will be EXTREMELY helpful. Thanks for the help.

Everon drones is the place send my p3p there and it's on it's way back in two weeks for faster service mail it yourself

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Would you suggest Everon over Dronefly? If the drone is in fact bricked or corrupt, do you know if either of these places could fix this or will I inevitably need to ship it to DJI?

The controller would not connect to the drone, but even stranger than that, the Gimbal started beeping as if it was trying to do a firmware upgrade.

Who knows what can happen after a sudden jolt to the interior of the bird - I have heard and read before of issues like yours that sound like it's constantly trying to upgrade firmware immediately after a crash and sometimes a battery or two later.

Have you tried to re-bind the RC with the Phantom?

Sounds like maybe you have stopped the P3 a couple of more times when the beeping starts and turned back on again - if she was trying to update and that process is interrupted it can sometimes take up to an hour or more to complete - so, perhaps before anything else - charge up your battery start her up again and just leave it for an extended period of time - see if the pattern changes (beeps) after an hour or so - worth a shot.

is this the definition of a corrupt firmware and how could it be caused from a crash

Yes it is and possibly damage to the MCU after the cash - which would give you that result.

Perhaps try reformat the mini SD card - reload the firmware and then walk away so you don't have to listen to the beeping for the next 30 minutes (go into camera settings as soon as P3 powers up and format the sd card (may take a couple of attempts - then put the latest firmware update on the card and reinstall.

1 long continuous beep (indefinitely)

The long louder beeps sound like possible ESC errors - they can get out of sync. with a thump!

Check camera cables and make sure they all reseat firmly. The clip in cables damage easily - the pin-in on the board can get removed also after a crash -P3 communicates via this cable to the SD card - vip it is intact and connected.

Reactions: Dcmusik22
Thanks for the reply EagleGoalTender. Yesterday i did try letting it beep continuously (firmware update) for about an hour. By that point it was 1 long beep. I turned it off after a little over an hour cause the gimbal was getting pretty hot. I'll reformat the SD card and give it one last go tonight and see if ANY communication is happening with the RC and P3. Worse case i'll need to send it to DJI and wait for the dreaded 4-6 weeks...Biggest bummer is that i have a couple of recording "gigs" coming up... Bad timing... hopefully this works.

The last time I had the long beeps, I just reloaded the latest software and it cured it.

Yes they can fix it they fix my drone with no problems just give them a call and he'll explain everything to you

I swear by them they should be able to take care of you

Would you suggest Everon over Dronefly? If the drone is in fact bricked or corrupt, do you know if either of these places could fix this or will I inevitably need to ship it to DJI?
I have not had a good experience with Everone, they have kept mine for over a month and I can't get any good reason for it. All I get is the run around

Who did you talk to

I really don't remember his name, he was very accommodating at first, since then the communication has been thru email.To be honest, I'm beginning to think I've been a victim of some sort of scam. I'm just glad to hear that someone has actually dealt with them and they are, in fact, a real company

Well DJI sent me a shipping label and have been quick to respond so I ended up just shipping it to them. I didn't want to risk paying someone else a fee when they can't fix it, didn't want to risk it. They got it yesterday morning so we'll see how long it takes. I'll keep you guys posted.

My Dealership can help you with repairs if needed. PM me for info.

Reactions: Billy Russell
Well DJI sent me a shipping label and have been quick to respond so I ended up just shipping it to them. I didn't want to risk paying someone else a fee when they can't fix it, didn't want to risk it. They got it yesterday morning so we'll see how long it takes. I'll keep you guys posted.

I think you made the right decision. Yes, keep me posted

Well good for you I hope everything works out for you but I had a very good experience everon drone. When I called they didn't answer they got back to me within the hour I was kept up-to-date about what was going on with my drone and got it back within two weeks as good as new

I am very glad to hear this, I really was starting to get a little nervous about them. Who knows, maybe they will send it this week.

Update:

So far I am very surprised by how Quickly DJI has responded. Here are the sequence of events so far:

upload_2016-3-1_15-0-42.png

Now we will see how long it takes them to ship it back.

Well that was fast.... I don't have the Phantom yet but it is already on it's way, Tracking number provided. Very impressed with DJI, only a 1 week turnaround which was unexpected after all the horror stories I've heard:

upload_2016-3-2_12-2-50.png

The long louder beeps sound like possible ESC errors - they can get out of sync. with a thump!

Check camera cables and make sure they all reseat firmly. The clip in cables damage easily - the pin-in on the board can get removed also after a crash -P3 communicates via this cable to the SD card - vip it is intact and connected.

Eagle my battery shut down and it fell to concrete from maybe 20 feet. I had to have the EMU? (THE BLACK BOX) soldered back on. I booted up without the camera and it cycled the beeps correctly and turned on however all LEDS were red. I noticed the smallest plug was off which I think comes from the battery. I plugged that in and restarted and the darn beeps are back again. I am going to check all you have said above, but what is the "pin-in"?
Thanks
Steven

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic