Phantom 5 ... Yes, this again...

Reaction score
It appears November 28th may reveal the much awaited and also doubted Phantom 5.

DJI Phantom 5: We zoom in on the expected specs and rumors - DroneDJ

The Phantom 5 is coming, will it be November 28th? - DroneDJ

I can't say I'm convinced by there story though I do think a new Phantom is likely and before the end of this year so...

If the report is true and there will be two new P5's, one with zoom and the other with interchangeable lenses and real 4K60 that would be quite nice. Other 'facts' which to me seem dubious is 35 minute flight time though that would be great if true. OTH, to do so and with what is likely to be a heavier bird almost certainly means new/different batteries so everything you have will need to be replaced. This one bit is interesting:
  • Video: better than Phantom 4 Pro V2.0, to include 4K@60fps, H.265, H.264, 10-bit Dlog-M color profile, and 4K 10-bit HDR video, Hyperlapse
I did not see any reference to the bitrate though I have to believe that had to be increased for true 4K60 and at a minimum to 125Mbps though 150Mbps would be the better choice. The downside is the increase to nearly 65-70GB/hour.

Well, we should know soon enough and then the question is: how long to wait for delivery, but I won't go there just now...

Brian

It appears November 28th may reveal the much awaited and also doubted Phantom 5.

I can't say I'm convinced by there story though I do think a new Phantom is likely and before the end of this year so...

If the report is true and there will be two new P5's, one with zoom and the other with interchangeable lenses and real 4K60 that would be quite nice. Other 'facts' which to me seem dubious is 35 minute flight time though that would be great if true. OTH, to do so and with what is likely to be a heavier bird almost certainly means new/different batteries so everything you have will need to be replaced. This one bit is interesting:
  • Video: better than Phantom 4 Pro V2.0, to include 4K@60fps, H.265, H.264, 10-bit Dlog-M color profile, and 4K 10-bit HDR video, Hyperlapse
I did not see any reference to the bitrate though I have to believe that had to be increased for true 4K60 and at a minimum to 125Mbps though 150Mbps would be the better choice. The downside is the increase to nearly 65-70GB/hour.

Well, we should know soon enough and then the question is: how long to wait for delivery, but I won't go there just now...

Brian
I can't imagine what more they can add to the p4 but the camera specs do make sense in terms of things they can improve upon.

DJI have been playing around with their P5 prototypes for months but don't seem to be in any rush to put them on the market.
The DroneDJ piece is nothing more than a wishlist.

The teaser for the Life is Big event doesn't show anything that suggests they will announcing a drone.
Look closely at the imagery and al you see is party stuff, nothing related to outdoor aerial photography.
There have been no new FCC approvals for any DJI drones .. but there has been one for the Osmo Pocket.
If you want to read something with a little more substance than DroneDJ, look at this:
BREAKING: DJI "Because Life Is Big" Launch Event November 28th

DJI have been playing around with their P5 prototypes for months but don't seem to be in any rush to put them on the market.
The DroneDJ piece is nothing more than a wishlist.

The teaser for the Life is Big event doesn't show anything that suggests they will announcing a drone.
Look closely at the imagery and al you see is party stuff, nothing related to outdoor aerial photography.
There have been no new FCC approvals for any DJI drones .. but there has been one for the Osmo Pocket.
If you want to read something with a little more substance than DroneDJ, look at this:
BREAKING: DJI "Because Life Is Big" Launch Event November 28th

Well, I did mention my skepticism about some of what DroneDJ published, OTH, the piece you linked contained very similar info including the belief a Phantom 5 would be announced and also gave some of the same tech specs for it.

Again, we're only a couple weeks away from the event so it won't be long before we know for sure.

If DJI is planning a new release this year with expectation for receipt this year they have little time to make that happen. So, even though we are more than 2 years since the P4P we may have to wait beyond the end of this year to get our hands on it if it is in fact a product in the works.

A zoom lens Phantom seems possible and without a huge increase in weight, but interchangeable would seem to me to be even heavier and a Phantom class drone doesn't have much room to add weight without becoming something other than a Phantom. If 35 minutes is real that's about 15-20% more time than current which means a battery 20% bigger. If all this is true then I think the P5 will wind up being overall about 15-20% heavier than the P4P so getting it to be quieter seems dubious to me.

Brian

Not sure , looks good but released after xmas,,that's crazy,

Yeah, if the P5 is about to be released they surely missed an opportunity to make a Christmas killing this year. I mean, even if the announcement is made on the 28th AND the P5 is available that same day, it's a sure bet that they will not be able to deliver even a fraction of the orders before Christmas. If they've been making them for a couple months so they have a stockpile on day one they might do better with delivery, but that seems unlikely as they would have been wise to have made the announcement and made it available a month ago to better capitalize on the season. The only wrinkle could be that they do have stock available but were waiting until the firmware was 'ready' and if so they could more easily update the existing stock.

Well, we should know in a couple weeks...

Brian

Mayby I should send them this pic,,my p5:),lol,,don't look to bad with a nose,,I wonder how it fly,,might get another 5kph out of it,,ha
20181117_180455.jpg

OTH, the piece you linked contained very similar info including the belief a Phantom 5 would be announced and also gave some of the same tech specs for it.
Sorry ... I should have specified that I meant the second part of the article.
The part after: What if the November 28th “Because Life Is Big” event isn’t about a drone at all?

If DJI is planning a new release this year with expectation for receipt this year they have little time to make that happen. So, even though we are more than 2 years since the P4P we may have to wait beyond the end of this year to get our hands on it if it is in fact a product in the works.
They haven't taken it to the FCC for approval so there's no P5 release coming up in the near future.
interchangeable would seem to me to be even heavier and a Phantom class drone doesn't have much room to add weight without becoming something other than a Phantom. Brian
From the photos of the prototypes DJI seems to have created interchangeable lenses without a significant bulk/weight problem.
DmSyOwyUcAA1TVN-e1536240758252.jpg

DmSsaFyU0AEerB7.jpg

Sorry ... I should have specified that I meant the second part of the article.
The part after: What if the November 28th “Because Life Is Big” event isn’t about a drone at all?

They haven't taken it to the FCC for approval so there's no P5 release coming up in the near future.

From the photos of the prototypes DJI seems to have created interchangeable lenses without a significant bulk/weight problem.
DmSyOwyUcAA1TVN-e1536240758252.jpg

DmSsaFyU0AEerB7.jpg

Interchangeable lens would be a game changer as that would be a phenomenal , monumental move by DJI and change the sales momentum drastically, not sure that would make sense now when the Mavic zoom had not had its first born xmas yet, maybe a latter release .

Well the FCC thing is interesting and as I assume Meta4 knows how to research that I'll take him at his word. If true then the reporting suggesting a P5 is imminent only points out how little actual research many media outlets actually do.

The timing for a new drone would not be good, but then again the timing of the P4P was mid November 2016 if I remember correctly so it is not out of the question timing wise.

How long is the FCC approval loop?

Brian

Something might be up as all P4 Vr 2 models are out of stock on the DJI site. Not sure about P4 advanced stock.

Would be a short run if they do disco the Vr 2.0. And sadly before they ever got it right as the stability issues in hover still persist.

Paul C

Lots of P4Pv2 in stock in EU.

Wishing for a release soon.. can’t wait for a zoom lens on a Phantom.

I hope they use a proper Ambarella chip this time around though.

Lots of stock in US also, at places like B&H and Adorama. But these places are rear end loaded for stock. It took months, 3 at least for B&H to get the Vr 2.0 mainly I guess because they were sitting on the P4 Pro Obsidian and Plus models. Now they have plenty of them, but DJI, who was shipping out the Vr 2.on day of announce is out of stock, totally on all models. I don't remember ever seeing them out of stock on any model before unless it's discontinued. At least back to the MPP and MP.

I had hoped that DJI would finally get some stability for the Vr 2.0 via firmware, as even the latest as of 10.24.18 still has yawing issues during hover. And some other strange issues, that seem to only happen once or twice in a 20 minute flight:

Inability to fly in a straight line,
Strange issue where Gimbal shoots hard left enough to see the front leg (mainly after a long climb up)
Backwards direction movement after a pan (in hover) where if you are panning left, and slowly stop the pan, after you let off stick pressure drone moves back to right and thus doesn't stay in place (tough for video editing)

I flew my P4 Pro the other day, and none of these issue present themselves.

I will for sure wait on the follow on even if it has interchange able lenses. DJI has not shown very good follow up on the Vr 2.0 at least IMO as folks are still posting about the yaw during hover with brand new units. I also want to see the amount of distortion in the wides for the new interchangeable lenses. The amount of distortion in the P4 and MP2 lenses is excessive. If you are only shooting jpgs, you won't see this as the lens corrections are applied to the jpg, and if you look at the raw in LR or ACR, you also see the image after lens correction applied. Problem is the amount of correction is massive towards the edge, enough that there is considerable softness created. You can easily test this by opening a P4 raw in a program like Capture One, by Phase One. This software allows you to turn off the built in lens corrections, and then you can see how much correction is actually being applied to the raws or jpgs.

I also wonder how easy it is to get dust specs off a video? Most folks flying are not using interchangeable lenses, so dust on the sensor is a non issue. I guess there is an easy way to remove dust on a series of video frames? like with the clone tool or healing tool on a photo?

Paul C

With all the unknowns... even the "hinted" or "suggested" improvements have been non-verified and unknown.

Leaves room for a little hopeful speculation.... not saying realistic... just hopeful!

I'd like to see the 2 major variables that the Phantom gets "digged"... reliability levels of fail safe and retractable gear for the Pro environment. Maintain the 4 arm configuration, but change it to Octal motor design... 4 up, 4 down. Reduce the prop noise... slower rpm, to almost whisper quite.

A small stable Octal UAV platform would be impressive, totally design trend setting and leave the negatives at the door for reliability.

To me the Phantom is due for a major revamp in design... why increment the model number for FW, camera, or a few features. Revamp design and retain a similar design at the same time.

Brian
Going almost a year with no Phantom 4 production and no Phantom 5, how much money has DJI lost? When I ask about the 4 and 5, their "sales" dept still gives me non-answers like, "we don't have that information at this time". smh

Reactions: quadrotor
It's pretty clear the Phantom series is dead and that going forward and advances in the consumer side will be with the Mavic series or perhaps a new model likely based on the Mavic series. For these smaller consumer drones the fold-ability aspect seems critical if for no other reason than marketing. I'm not opposed to this so long as they produce a model that's clearly superior to the P4P and so far the best of the Mavic series as perhaps even with the P4P so they would need to up the game to be clearly superior to the P4P. They are closing in on three years now so you'd think they would unveil something with true, usable, 4K60 and a bitrate in the 150Mbps or there abouts -- more than the 100Mbps of the P4P.

Perhaps they're spending there time working to implement some form of TCAS that would broadcast the drones location and other relevant information so that pilots in planes nearby would see them even though they are too small to be seen by eye.

Brian

Reactions: BigAl07

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.