Phantom 4 vs Typhoon H

I want/have the __________

• Typhoon H

Votes: 32 47.1%
  • Phantom 4

Votes: 41 60.3%

• Total voters
Awesome..... you can follow something travelling away from you for less than 30 sec before you loose video feed at 400m....
Ha ha, ya never know. I have not read the Typhoon H owner's manual, but my guess would be that Yuneec built in a distance limit just for that reason. The Wizard wand is pretty small. I could not see it having a great power source for range.

It seems the two big things in drones for 2016 are:

- 360 cameras
- Selfie mode features

I keep thinking that DJI is going to come out in the late summer or fall with the P4 PRO model which will incorporate the long overdue 360 camera & retractable landing gear... or a camera that drops below the landing gear after take off.

Last edited:
YIKES! This is the 3rd review that is out where the review states the Typhoon H is the better choice over the Phantom 4. I'm not so sure about that. I think they each have their pluses & minuses. But when it comes to photography, the Typhoon H is the clear winner due to the 360 continuous camera and undercarriage that lifts out of the way. It will be interesting to see what actual owners of both a Phantom 4 and Typhoon H have to say when they compare them. It's gonna be kinda like having a Phantom 4 and Inspire 1.

Flush with high-end features, Yuneec’s Typhoon H drone flies away from the competition

There are some good reviews on YouTube about the Typhoon H. You just have to sort through all of the spammers to find the original content.

The range of both the P4 and Typhoon H are overstated. One reviewer said that he got to 3000 feet when video lag and break ups began on Typhoon H.

The Typhoon H antennas can be unscrewed vs. having to tear apart your controller.

Flight times are overstated on the Typhoon H. 19-21 minutes of real world flying.

A plus is that everything is self contained. I don't think you'll see forced updates etc with their operating system. No additional devices to connect; plus it had hdmi.

Waypoints are handled the same way as DJI. You have to fly the point before being able to set them. You'll want extra batteries.

The P4 is quicker to deploy than Typhoon H.

You have to use your transmitter to see the charge state of your battery on the Typhoon H. I don't think their battery tech is as intelligent as DJI.

Both craft will have plus and minuses. The Typhoon H is probably a nice cross between the Inspire and P4 series.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: liketogethigh
I do have one on pre-order. There is tons to like about the Typhoon H, however, I am a DJI fan and have kinda become used to how DJI products work. For that reason I already know and accept that the following 3 items on the Typhoon H may not "WOW" me:

1 - Battery charge time (rather long at 2 hours for a full charge). The good news is that 3rd party battery quick chargers will appear later this year... but that's just an additional expense.

2 - Camera still and video quality. The camera on the Typhoon H is a slight upgrade from the Yuneec Q500+ 4K camera. But, that camera (in my opinion) has a problem with blowing out the highlights on a sunny day whereas the Phantom 3 and 4 cameras do not. I have my fingers crossed that the camera quality will be just as good, or better, than the Phantom 3 & 4. The good news is that the camera is removable. If Yuneec comes out with a better camera, one can easily upgrade in the future.

3 - Range. Out of the box, reviewers have been able to get to a mile max in areas with no (or very little) interference. The good news is that the ST16 Controller that comes with the Typhoon H uses standard screw on antennas so that one can easily increase the range with some inexpensive aftermarket antennas which install in seconds.

I have a YouTube channel, and I'll be sure to post some comparison vids.

This could have went bad. People standing too close. Drone landing gear touching curb on side. Tree branches overhead. Almost dead battery. Crazy pilot who gives full power.

In addition to all the above, what's the first thing the guy does once he's in the air? Flies it right behind a big tree losing line of sight.. I cringe watching vids like this. Some people should just not fly these things

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Do you agree or not agree?

TYPHOONINSPIRE1.jpg

The big thing with the Inspire is the ability to use a real camera. Using the X3 (??) doesn't really get you much more than a Phantom. The X5 on the other hand can give you a much better video file to post process with. And lenses. Real lenses - not the cell phone rejects that we're stuck with.

Yep, it's expensive - but it's cheaper than some of the professional (or at least near-professional) level competition.

Also, the Inspire is a couple of years old in a field that is rapidly advancing. Try comparing any three year old tech product with a new one (that actually hasn't been released yet).

They conveniently left out speed and distance capabilities.

Easy fix with Photoshop. The Inspire One is getting a bit old so it's easy for the competition to catch up. Even the Phantom 4 looks good next to the Inspire One. The Inspire Two (coming soon) will raise the bar. For now, I'm going with the Typhoon H!

TYPHOONINSPIRE2.jpg

There are videos showing the Yuneec Typhoon H keeping up with vehicles traveling at 40mph.

That's an ironic headline when the review goes on to say that: Generally speaking, the Typhoon’s video feed starts to get choppy at the half mile point
So that's 800 metres ... back in P2V+ wifi territory

And you have to wonder about the reviewer that says:You can actually link the drone up to two different controllers at the same time, then use one to control the drone and another to control the onboard 4K camera. ... — you can’t get this kind of dual pilot functionality in any other off-the-shelf drone right now.
I guess the Inspire has only been out for 1.5 years so you couldn't expect him to have caught up with that yet.

Typhoon h a bit expensive at 2k but cool video

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

That's an ironic headline when the review goes on to say that: Generally speaking, the Typhoon’s video feed starts to get choppy at the half mile point
So that's 800 metres ... back in P2V+ wifi territory

And you have to wonder about the reviewer that says:You can actually link the drone up to two different controllers at the same time, then use one to control the drone and another to control the onboard 4K camera. ... — you can’t get this kind of dual pilot functionality in any other off-the-shelf drone right now.
I guess the Inspire has only been out for 1.5 years so you couldn't expect him to have caught up with that yet.

I can't comment on how the Typhoon performs as I don't own one yet (but it's on the way). Regarding the two controllers, you certainly can use two with the Typhoon H. One pilots the drone and the other operates the camera. You can do it using two full featured controllers, or just one controller and the Wizard. From what I have seen the "Curved Cable Cam" feature allows one pilot to do the same thing, but by only using one controller (the right joystick on the controller becomes connected to the 360 gimbal on the Typhoon).

The Inspire version 1 is still a very nice craft & I would love to own one. But it lacks the one thing I need.... portability. I had off to remote areas and I really need something smaller which is why I own a Phantom 3. The Typhoon just gives me a few more options for my needs.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
OK, by popular demand I've updated the graphic. Remember this is not a comparison of one drone is better than the other, but rather a simple chart to show the major features of each drone for Newbies. If all drones have the same or very similar feature, or gimmicky rarely used feature, I didn't mention it.

TYPHOONINSPIREPHANTOM_ver3.jpg

From the video's I have seen typhoon needs a good gimbal because they look to fly wobbly. With all the hindges for folding this and that it's just more parts to wear. 360 gimbal, well you still are not looking where you going in FPV. Yawing the bird is not hard at all and the landing gear protects the gimbal. To me the phantom is built a whole lot sturdier.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart