Phantom 4 pro camera not straight

I was reading this and I really thought the "fix" was a joke.....wow....I can't believe that is a DJI suggested fix.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I was reading this and I really thought the "fix" was a joke.....wow....I can't believe that is a DJI suggested fix.
This fix is straight from the mouths of DJI Reps on their forums. Many are reporting that it works as stated. If it does not work for you, then consider starting a warranty repair claim. I think the key here is don't use excess force on the gimbal.

This fix is straight from the mouths of DJI Reps on their forums. Many are reporting that it works as stated. If it does not work for you, then consider starting a warranty repair claim. I think the key here is don't use excess force on the gimbal.
I can vouch that it has worked for me, on 8 different P4P's. However, the DJI claim that the gimbal mount has been dislodged in shipping is a complete fabrication. During shipping, not only is the gimbal guard in place, but the additional styrofoam stabilizer is also tightly place. If a straight camera from the factory is so easily dislodged to crooked in shipping, with all that double stabilization reinforcement, then it has no chance in normal use in flight, and in any handling, without both stabilizers in place! 8 out of 10 P4P's I have owned have only had this issue upon arrival! A friend's newly replaced P4P camera, freshly back from DJI Repair, just this last Thursday, even arrived with this issue. The crooked cameras are clearly due to a lack of quality control coming from both the DJI factory and DJI Repair! :eek: Blaming it on mishandling by shipping carriers is pure B.S.!:rolleyes:

I recently got my P4 Pro back from repair, and it points to left as well. I've tried the torque to the right thing. I works for takeoff, then after a flight, the camera is back to the left a few degrees. Insanely stupid!!! Program a gimble yaw calibration for @#$% sake.

I recently got my P4 Pro back from repair, and it points to left as well. I've tried the torque to the right thing. I works for takeoff, then after a flight, the camera is back to the left a few degrees. Insanely stupid!!! Program a gimble yaw calibration for @#$% sake.
Peyronie's disease seems to be a relatively common P4P affliction! :rolleyes:

Now you have yaw fine tuning from the DJI Go4.

Now you have yaw fine tuning from the DJI Go4.
Where? Can you post a screenshot? I'm on the original 4.0.0 version of GO 4 which does not have it. Which GO 4 version added it?

Last edited:
Did you try the two axis gimbal calibration trick?

Last edited:
I just received my 3rd P4P in a month and it had the left camera problem. I tried the gimbal calibration several times and the one with the quad leaning against its motors to no avail. So I bit the bullet and turned the gimbal (power off) to the right till I felt a click and it's straight now !!!!!! Now I hope it stays that way. I'm a happy camper for now !

I just received my 3rd P4P in a month and it had the left camera problem. I tried the gimbal calibration several times and the one with the quad leaning against its motors to no avail. So I bit the bullet and turned the gimbal (power off) to the right till I felt a click and it's straight now !!!!!! Now I hope it stays that way. I'm a happy camper for now !
The latter method was required for 8 out of 10 P4P's I have had. It works! Not sure why they can't just do it at the factory, instead, as part of final Quality Control! Maybe they can't see straight??? :rolleyes:

Reactions: Gtarman52
The latter method was required for 8 out of 10 P4P's I have had. It works! Not sure why they can't just do it at the factory, instead, as part of final Quality Control! Maybe they can't see straight??? :rolleyes:

I just bought a P4A as a backup and the gimbal is off nearly 45 degrees to the left. I did this ridiculous "fix" as well and it only solved the issue for one flight.

I concur with all of you who say the "gently rotate" thing worked FOR ONE FLIGHT ONLY, and it then moves back to a few degrees to the left.

For those of you who claim that it "worked", can you verify that it is a PERMINENT fix?

Also, if it were due to movement during shipping, why are they all skewed to the left?

Returning for a new one is a PITA!

Also, if it were due to movement during shipping, why are they all skewed to the left?

This is a lie put forth by the DJI reps on RCGroups who lie routinely. There is absolutely no way for an INTERNAL gimbal part to rotate during shipping when the gimbal is locked in place by two devices and the packing itself.

This is a lie put forth by the DJI reps on RCGroups who lie routinely. There is absolutely no way for an INTERNAL gimbal part to rotate during shipping when the gimbal is locked in place by two devices and the packing itself.
Agreed as to the explanation being BS! The DJI reps on RCGroups can only pass along what they are told, albeit with some marketing spin to put everything in a good light, no matter how egregious. In this case, it is an issue with QC not properly verifying camera straightness before shipping. Apparently, the method suggested by the engineers above was not properly performed by QC. Anything off by more than 10° is probably a defect, and unlikely to be fixed by the method. If the correction isn't sticking, try again, with slightly more force, to get it to stay in place, held by the resistance of the rubber bushing, from which it got loose in the first place, or wasn't properly seated. So called cures for PD don't work 100% of the time either! :p

I concur with all of you who say the "gently rotate" thing worked FOR ONE FLIGHT ONLY, and it then moves back to a few degrees to the left.

For those of you who claim that it "worked", can you verify that it is a PERMINENT fix?

Returning for a new one is a PITA!
It worked on my P4P. I sent my P4P to DJI for repair, which I originally bought from Best Buy (mistake 1) because of a defective gimbal. They replaced the gimbal, and luckily they didn't upgrade my craft firmware (Yippee!) but when I got the craft back I found the gimbal pointed to the left about 5 to 10 degrees. I was really bummed. However, when I did the two axis gimbal calibration, along with an cold IMU calibration, it worked fine after that. I seemed to fix the problem for me. It's been flying great every since.

It worked on my P4P. I sent my P4P to DJI for repair, which I originally bought from Best Buy (mistake 1) because of a defective gimbal. They replaced the gimbal, and luckily they didn't upgrade my craft firmware (Yippee!) but when I got the craft back I found the gimbal pointed to the left about 5 to 10 degrees. I was really bummed. However, when I did the two axis gimbal calibration, along with an cold IMU calibration, it worked fine after that. I seemed to fix the problem for me. It's been flying great every since.

Any link to this two axis calibration procedure?

It did work for me for a couple flights, the the gimbal started a grinding noise. Sent it back. I have a new one, hopefully it will be trouble free.

Found it. But its hard to see.
s!AlLq7afQrvi14RMROrsZHgwds0SL

Attachments

• Roll and Yaw.jpg
    Roll and Yaw.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 390
Found it. But its hard to see.
s!AlLq7afQrvi14RMROrsZHgwds0SL
Thanks for sharing the screenshot. Does the Yaw adjustment "stick" after a reboot? I know the degrees of roll adjustment do survive a reboot.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20