Phantom 4 Pro/Adv Lightroom Lens Profile

Reaction score
[UPDATED VERSIONS AND SAMPLE IN NEW POST #4]

[INSTRUCTIONS HERE]

Here are Lightroom/Photoshop/Camera Raw lens profiles (RAW+JPG versions). These are only for RAW files that have been stripped of the embedded lens profile (at minimum "OpCodeList3" among others as desired). It will apply lens distortion correction (almost identical to DJI's profile except retaining a larger field of view and less distortion scaling), Vignetting and Aberrations.

I created these from shooting actual test charts using the P4A camera (official Adobe lens profile tool). I might go back a redo another set of test charts just to compare any variations that might show or if there is any increase in accuracy further (see if I can get data closer into the 4 corners of the barrel distortion) but they appear to be good to go as is anyway.

Not sure if these can be converted for other apps lens profiles such a capture one, affinity etc, as I do not use them but think it 'might' be possible if they do not have built in ones already.

*** Rename .txt to .lcp ***

In windows 10 and Lightroom CC the folder to place these files for Lightroom is:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\LensProfiles\1.0

Note change "username" to your user folder.

Attachments

• FC6310 (24.0 mm) - RAW.txt
    8.4 KB · Views: 1,408
  • FC6310 (24.0 mm).txt
    8.3 KB · Views: 1,169
Last edited:
I don't have Lightroom. Will these profiles work in other programs, as well?

I don't have Lightroom. Will these profiles work in other programs, as well?

Not sure if the other programs are compatible with Adobe lens profiles. I did come across some info out there about people converting Adobe lens profiles or some of the data it contains for other programs so it might be possible. Would have to search for "convert .lcp (or adobe lens profile) to xyzsoftware".

Did another chart shoot getting closer into the corners/edges for more accurate barrel distortion removal. here is both versions but suggest you only need the new V2. V1 has very slight less distortion removal (instructions in first post.

Example of an original raw (without DJI's embedded profile) and this lens profile V2 applied below:

DJI_0318_Strip.jpg
DJI_0318_Strip-2.jpg

Attachments

• FC6310 V1 (24.0 mm).txt
    8.3 KB · Views: 695
  • FC6310 V1 (24.0 mm) - RAW.txt
    8.4 KB · Views: 745
  • FC6310 V2 (24.0 mm) - RAW.txt
    8.4 KB · Views: 994
  • FC6310 V2 (24.0 mm).txt
    8.3 KB · Views: 1,017
So, what is the benefit (if any) of not using DJI's out of camera RAW embedded profile? Perhaps being able to apply your own custom colour profiles. Two differences if using this V2 lens profile vs DJI's embedded one is a very little bit more FOV and a little less image manipulation of original sensor pixels (all outer edges/corners and towards the centre portion of the image. Here is a comparison FOV (black section using this lens profile and the white middle section being DJI's FOV. Note both image sizes remain the same 20mp (just DJI's is stretched/scaled more filling the black section).

DJI vs Adobe.jpg

And finally putting to bed the myth DJI's raw images are scaled up to make up the 20mp's (I thought this was the case too at first using other lens distortion tools which bow an image inwards and then crop it down effectively - never up-scaling pixels). The facts are using a lens profile like this one (like adobes built in ones and I suspect this is what DJI is using for video and images also), The outer edges are pulled out/stretched/up-scaled and the inner portion is pushed in/shrunken/down-scaled) to correct the barrel distortion. So some pixels are effectively up-scaled as such and some are down scaled. Example top half of the same image before and after this v2 profile is applied.

Raw vs LCP.jpg

Or... the alternative is to start working from the RAW (non embedded profile) and just apply manual distortion correction of 100 in LR which results in kind of the same corrections as the lens profile but only down scaling pixels overall (still has edge stretching of course so softer edges but not softer up-scaled edges as such - and arguably a more quality lens correction pixel wise). You then are left with about a 13mp image to work on from there. For web uploads 1920 or less starting from a 13mp image vs 20mp image does not matter. This process also gains a slightly wider FOV again. Depending on the image it might be possible to use less than 100 for lens distortion (images where it is not noticeable to the eye leaving some more distortion in there) - and thus gaining wider FOV's plus less edge stretching/softness.

And finally putting to bed the myth DJI's raw images are scaled up to make up the 20mp's (I thought this was the case too at first using other lens distortion tools which bow an image inwards and then crop it down effectively - never up-scaling pixels). The facts are using a lens profile like this one (like adobes built in ones and I suspect this is what DJI is using for video and images also), The outer edges are pulled out/stretched/up-scaled and the inner portion is pushed in/shrunken/down-scaled) to correct the barrel distortion. So some pixels are effectively up-scaled as such and some are down scaled. Example top half of the same image before and after this v2 profile is applied.

View attachment 88903

you are not putting anything to bed DJI's original Adobe Camera raw preset does in fact crop detail out at the edges if you shoot at 3:2 as well as applying distortion - as it has removed information and then resized the picture back up to 20mp of course it's re-scaling it :)

Nice Work!! gonna test them out...

Mac—Macintosh HD / Users / [your username] / Library / Application Support / Adobe / CameraRaw / LensProfiles / 1.0

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl