Phantom 4 Litchi Phantom 3 Adv. Flying Syncronized Way Point Missions

Reaction score
Hi Guy's,
I know everyone watched the video on Follow the leader where one Phantom followed the other on a way Point mission. Has any one attempted to try this and if so be as so kind to tell me about it and maybe how you did it in the Litchi app. I was thinking this: Say I have a medium length mission, in my Phantom 3 Adv. Device using Litchi and in my Phantom 4 Device I have the Litchi and both have the same way point mission loaded, If I start the Phantom 3 Adv. and then once it starts it's mission, I start the Phantom 4 running the same mission a few seconds after the first one do you think one will safely follow the other on the same mission?
I'd love to try this, give me your thoughts guy's
Thanks
SteveP55

Having never tried it myself I can only guess. In the video you're talking about I think someone said he programmed in a 10 foot elevation difference to avoid posible collisions. The one problem I see you may have using two different version Phantoms would be different top speeds. I don't know if you can program how fast they make the run so that may be an issue.

Last edited:
Having never tried it myself I can only guess. In the video you're talking about I think someone said he programmed in a 10 foot elevation difference to avoid posible collisions. The one problem I see you may have using two different version Phantoms would be different top speeds. I don't know if you can program how fast they make the run so that may be an issue.
Hi jwcfbd,
I think since I will be loading each mission, I believe before I up load the mission to the chaser P4 I could slow the crushing speed before I actually up load the mission, so the P3adv speed would be slightly faster then the P4, but in theory if I start the first mission say 30 to 40 seconds ahead of the P4 it should maintain it's lead, it should lol,
The only hazard I can think of is at the end of the mission, as soon as the P3adv. Arrives back, my friend would have to switch to GPS and manually take over and bring it down before the P4 arrives? Again this is in my theory, I'm going to give it a try tomorrow if the weather is good, I'll repost my results, let's see what happends, thanks for your input. Wish me luck.
SteveP55

You can set the speed in litchi so providing your not at or close to the max speed for the slower AC there shouldn’t be an issue.

If the proposed mission has all waypoints within controller range consider using autopilot and entering entering AC into airspace. The following AC can then track the leader while it completes the WP mission, you can even define custom offsets and have the following AC orbiting the leader. Actually if you had multiple AC on the waypoint mission you could have another AC orbiting the imaginary centre point of all of them for the whole flight.

Very cool..... looking forward to seeing where you take this...

Would have been better without the music though, it’s a bit like elevator torture.

The lead phantoms mission started 10m in front of the following phantom..at the end of the mission the following phantom stopped 10m before the lead phantom..the height diff was 1m.

The lead phantoms mission started 10m in front of the following phantom..at the end of the mission the following phantom stopped 10m before the lead phantom..the height diff was 1m.
That's Awesome Magnum, On the following Phantom did you set the altitude difference on the Device in Litchi for that Phantom, see I'm thinking I'll have to make minor adjustments to the one following before either one start the mission like the 1 meter height difference and maybe set the following Phantoms speed down a couple miles per hour.
Thanks for the video Cool as hell !
SteveP55

You can set the speed in litchi so providing your not at or close to the max speed for the slower AC there shouldn’t be an issue.
Hi With The Birds,
I will be very careful from start to finish with this first time , thanks for the advice also. I hope this works out LOL
SteveP55

The following phantoms height was set in the mission,the speeds were both set to 18kmph,..( for safety,until mission was proved )..as you'll have noticed though on the way back the lead phantom had to increase speed slightly twice.

The following phantoms height was set in the mission,the speeds were both set to 18kmph,..( for safety,until mission was proved )..as you'll have noticed though on the way back the lead phantom had to increase speed slightly twice.
Yes, almost like the GPS resolution was changing. What I found particularly interesting was how much the lead AC was varying in altitude yet the video suggested the following AC was flying very smoothly. The gimble and wide FOV hides many inaccuracies it seems.

Hi Magnum,
So you manually increased the leaders speed in those two places? I just made adjustments to the mission for the P4s altitude to about 6 feet above the P3adv. and decreased the P4s speed by around 3 mph, but I did this after I turned off the WiFi for the P4s device as so it would not alter the mission settings for the P3adv. Then saved the P4s mission.
Thanks for the advice, we'll see if I can pull this off LOL
SteveP56

Good luck with your mission,the only prob I see you having is the longer the mission then the further the gap between the phantoms will be...let me know how you get on..[emoji106]

Yes the lead phantom manually increased speed,,could have been done a little bit more gently

Yes the lead phantom manually increased speed,,could have been done a little bit more gently
Hi Magnum, That video is cool, I have the max speed on both set as so if needed can be increased manually, since I'm going to fly the chaser I might have to increase my speed on the P4 to keep up, but I'll try to do it slowly. Thanks for all your input Magnum, if it works out I'll post a follow up and a video. we're going to do it today ! LOL
SteveP55

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl