Phantom 4 - filming from yachts

Reaction score
I've recently been using my Phantom 4 to film some of my sailing trips. I'm hand launching and catching the drone as it comes in to land. Once I have caught it, I cannot shut down the motors in the usual way one would if the landing had been on land. Anyone know how to shut off the motors in this situation.
I've heard a few suggestions like turning it upside down but have not tried these yet. I'm hoping for a definitive answer before I film our next sailing trip.

after hand catching, just press down on the left stick to continue descending, when it meets resistance, your hand holding it steady, it will stop the motors

Reactions: HABU1AZ
thanks for the reply. i did try the usual shutdown method (both sticks down and inwards) but this did not work. I also tried left stick down and left stick down plus holding RTH button but none of these shut the motors off. The issue is that the boat is not stable as it is moving up and down which must be causing the drone to not detect a stable surface. I have had to end up just holding the drone until the battery dies.
I've also tried turning the proximity sensors off, basically all the suggestions I found via google.

I catch on my boat, although on a lake and much smoother I'm sure, maybe there is another "kill switch" I am unaware of that someone will chime in with

yep, i think in smoother waters it would not be an issue, I'm sailing mainly in the English Channel (south coast of UK). @solentlife - any suggestions you may have as someone from the south coast?

Hi ... I have to say that Multi Rotors were not around when I sailed Solent waters ... my boats are now out in Latvia with me ... Baltic - no tides and great cruising areas.

What I find interesting is that you say the CSC (both sticks down and in) is not stopping the motors. Strange - I thought that applied to all Phantoms. I know that it does take a few seconds to actually activate the stop on my P3P ... P3S was same. I have used that when P3 tumbling through a tree .. motors shut down as expected

If you are catching yourself - I would assume its difficult to coordinate both sticks together which needs to be done.

Nigel

Thanks for the reply Nigel. I was also surprised that CSC would not cut motors, I thought this would shut down the drone no matter what the circumstance.
I had a friend catch the drone so had two hands on the controller and tried CSC multiple times and for prolonged hold but just ended up having to hang on to the drone until the battery died.
Will have to keep experimenting I guess unless someone else on here has any ideas.
The Baltic sounds great for sailing. Did you sail there? I haven't got further afield than the channel yet. Hoping to do a crossing next season.

Thanks for the reply Nigel. I was also surprised that CSC would not cut motors, I thought this would shut down the drone no matter what the circumstance.
I had a friend catch the drone so had two hands on the controller and tried CSC multiple times and for prolonged hold but just ended up having to hang on to the drone until the battery died.
Will have to keep experimenting I guess unless someone else on here has any ideas.
If you have a catcher, you could try switching to atti mode once the drone is caught which will prevent the Phantom fighting to hold position and then shut down with the normal left stick down for three seconds while holding steady.
I also find it's good to launch in atti mode so the Phantom doesn't fight the assistant before he lets go.

I tried switching to Atti mode but it didn't make any difference. Also tried in Sport mode thinking that should shut off all GPS and it would then allow normal shut down or CSC, didn't work either.
Good tip on launching in Atti mode, will try that next time. Great portfolio too btw.

The Baltic sounds great for sailing. Did you sail there? I haven't got further afield than the channel yet. Hoping to do a crossing next season.

I do a round trip of Baltic when I have opportunity ... the Swedish Archipelago is amazing. I'm also the HLR for Cruising Association for visiting yachts to Latvian West Coast.

Here's the overall sail route I did in 2011 ...

Guy who went with me - is the ex R&D Manager of Nokia .... trip was about 11 days ...

Here's fishing trip on the river at back of my house ... (my boat is bilge keeler 1m draft) and I have about 30km of deep river with islands etc. to play with !!

My youtube channel : solentlifeuk

Cheers
Nigel

I do a round trip of Baltic when I have opportunity ... the Swedish Archipelago is amazing. I'm also the HLR for Cruising Association for visiting yachts to Latvian West Coast.

Here's the overall sail route I did in 2011 ...

Guy who went with me - is the ex R&D Manager of Nokia .... trip was about 11 days ...

Here's fishing trip on the river at back of my house ... (my boat is bilge keeler 1m draft) and I have about 30km of deep river with islands etc. to play with !!

My youtube channel : solentlifeuk

Cheers
Nigel

Looks like a great trip and great place to sail. I'm yet to do longer than a two dayer. Hoping to do some longer passages next summer and get some nice footage of the trips using the drone.

I've recently been using my Phantom 4 to film some of my sailing trips. I'm hand launching and catching the drone as it comes in to land. Once I have caught it, I cannot shut down the motors in the usual way one would if the landing had been on land. Anyone know how to shut off the motors in this situation.
I've heard a few suggestions like turning it upside down but have not tried these yet. I'm hoping for a definitive answer before I film our next sailing trip.

Try left stick down and right and the right stick straight down.

Yes I notice this the other day after small mishap,left stick down is only way to stop p4,,not both sticks,,if holding it won't flip but try on ground and it probly flip over,,,I notice when I was holding mine it took nearly 10 sec to shut down with left stick down ,just keep stick down and it will stop,,yes because boat may not be steady it might take bit of patience,,,,to start both sticks used not to stop

Also tried in Sport mode thinking that should shut off all GPS
Sport mode doesn't shut down GPS.
It's just like P-GPS mode except it allows the drone to go even faster.
GPS still runs in Atti mode so the drone knows where it is but it doesn't use GPS position data for position holding.

That sounds dangerous and likely to fly the drone into the catcher's face.
Have you tried it?

I have not. If I recall correctly (and I very well may not) that is the default command to emergency stop the motors. With you comment that may only be intended as an emergency in flight action.

I have not. If I recall correctly (and I very well may not) that is the default command to emergency stop the motors. With you comment that may only be intended as an emergency in flight action.
Your memory has let you down.
No-one should pull the right stick back when trying to stop the motors.
It might end badly.

Here's the relevant section from the manual.
It shows how to stop motors after landing and for an emergency stop in flight.
i-QPpfzMV.jpg

Reactions: FL_Mike
Your memory has let you down.
No-one should pull the right stick back when trying to stop the motors.
It might end badly.

Here's the relevant section from the manual.
It shows how to stop motors after landing and for an emergency stop in flight.
i-QPpfzMV.jpg

Thank you for the correction.

Same happened to me a few times. The first time was horrible... one person holding the drone (running blades!!!) while I was trying to remember the emergency shutdown combination of the sticks...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl