Reaction score
Hello all!

First off I'll make this statement, I am making this post in an attempt to help others out that own the Phantom 4 series of DJI quads, I don't make anything from this either it be money or anything else and there is no gain for me in any way except to help others out.

I bought my P4P about 3 months ago and have loved it! I make videos for my local paintball field just to promote the sport and help out the owner of the field (good friend of mine), with that being said I can go thru batteries pretty quickly. I have a total of 3 of the extended batteries and I also bought the DJI 3 port charging station, it works out pretty well except the down time waiting on the batteries to cool down so they can be charged. Having a 3D printer and being a "MacGyver" as some of my friends call me I designed a cooling box for my P4P batteries that not only does it in a much better way then putting them in a freezer or ice cooler but by cooling them with regular ambient air temp I extend the life of the battery by not shocking the lipo cells with a sudden cooling that's done by the other two methods I just listed. I posted this design on Thingiverse for others to download and print free of charge. I just wanted to share this with others in the hobby to help them get just a little more flight time out of their quads. I'll post the link below to the battery cooler on Thingiverse.

Bat Cooler: Phantom 4 Bat Cooler by MadVampy

Side note: Adafruit a electronics company and supplier saw my design on Thingiverse and did a posting on their website about it. I had no clue they had done it, I thought that was pretty cool!

Phantom 4 Battery Cooler #3DPrinting #3DThursday

Reactions: Dpanetta
A cool battery is good a frozen battery will shorten the life. The problem with a fast temperature reduction is that you cool the outside casing of the battery on a hot core, thermal expansion of the core will take some time, if you cool (shrink) the casing on a expanded core too much the casing may get damaged. Slow cooling is best and also give the battery time to chemically normalize. Being in a hurry has it's costs.

Reactions: Dpanetta
Hello all!

First off I'll make this statement, I am making this post in an attempt to help others out that own the Phantom 4 series of DJI quads, I don't make anything from this either it be money or anything else and there is no gain for me in any way except to help others out.

I bought my P4P about 3 months ago and have loved it! I make videos for my local paintball field just to promote the sport and help out the owner of the field (good friend of mine), with that being said I can go thru batteries pretty quickly. I have a total of 3 of the extended batteries and I also bought the DJI 3 port charging station, it works out pretty well except the down time waiting on the batteries to cool down so they can be charged. Having a 3D printer and being a "MacGyver" as some of my friends call me I designed a cooling box for my P4P batteries that not only does it in a much better way then putting them in a freezer or ice cooler but by cooling them with regular ambient air temp I extend the life of the battery by not shocking the lipo cells with a sudden cooling that's done by the other two methods I just listed. I posted this design on Thingiverse for others to download and print free of charge. I just wanted to share this with others in the hobby to help them get just a little more flight time out of their quads. I'll post the link below to the battery cooler on Thingiverse.

Bat Cooler: Phantom 4 Bat Cooler by MadVampy

Side note: Adafruit a electronics company and supplier saw my design on Thingiverse and did a posting on their website about it. I had no clue they had done it, I thought that was pretty cool!

Phantom 4 Battery Cooler #3DPrinting #3DThursday
Hi, without viewing your article first, I went ahead and made a very similar setup as you did with your "Phantom 4 battery cooler". Have you continued to use this cooler over time? Have you noticed any degradation of your batteries? I am able to cool a P4P battery down within 4 minutes with my contraption.... My only concern after reading different reports is degradation from the rapid cooling of a LIPO cell. What are your thought???

In fact, it's not a crime trying to sell a worthless crap. Just go on.
Thats rather rude, many others have knocked up their own battery coolers,
Its a cracking idea tbh,
Any plans to make it run on a power bank ?
so its more portable?

Has anyone tried putting their batteries in their pockets to warm them up faster? The device is almost the same just the reverse. I am not an expert by any means. The battery casing has built in vents to dissipate heat. The device just gives it better air circulation. I put my warm batteries on top of my washer. It acts like a giant heatsink. If not, then it is a better surface incase the batteries explode.

I am new to the DJI scene but have had other drones. Is there any real evidence that its bad to recharge a warm battery that was just removed from the drone. I have removed my battery and immediately plugged in the charger. Am I harming the battery>>?? Why must a battery be cool before charging and does DJI say this or is it just believed to be the case??

I am new to the DJI scene but have had other drones. Is there any real evidence that its bad to recharge a warm battery that was just removed from the drone. I have removed my battery and immediately plugged in the charger. Am I harming the battery>>?? Why must a battery be cool before charging and does DJI say this or is it just believed to be the case??
The spark batteries will not charge using spark as the charger when it is hot. I think it is documented somewhere. I never tried it with my phantom batteries since I use 3rd party charger.

While I get the need to cool the batteries quickly, they still take a while to charge up again. Why not just buy a few more batteries? After an hour the first battery you flew with would be cool enough to begin charging, and by the time you flew say for a couple of hours, that first battery would be fully charged up again. Just a thought. I do like the MacGyver approach though. Especially when it works!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31