Phantom 3 with Oculus Rift via Nvidia Shield Tablet?

Reaction score
OK, so it is obvious the Nvidia Shield tablet has HDMI output and could be used to get the video out to a pair of goggles on the P3. But, will an Oculus Rift work with a 2D HDMI video signal coming from only 1 camera on the Phantom 3, or does it require 2 cameras to function?

In short, is Oculus Rift going to work with the Phantom 3?

1 camera. The footage is 2d. They just split the image into 2.

I wonder if they develop a Gear VR version for the note4 and galaxy s6.

Reactions: Colanuttz
1 camera. The footage is 2d. They just split the image into 2.

I wonder if they develop a Gear VR version for the note4 and galaxy s6.

So, they CAN split the image into 2 and create 3D out of 2D?

No, you would just see the same image on each screen (eye), so it would be still 2D.

I don't care if it's not 3D as long as it works.

It should be possible to use the SDK to write an app that can display the Phantom video appropriately to use with a VR setup. Since there's only 1 camera, it won't be stereoscopic 3D. But with the wide FOV, it should still be immersive and interesting. And it would be really cool if you could couple the head rotation tracking to the camera's pitch and copter's yaw controls, allowing you to really "look around" by just turning your head.

A 3d tv can make a simulated 3d picture from 2d, don't see why Oculus can't do it.
You can get the software to do it but still need additional hardware, the Oculus itself doesn't have the hardware needed to make all the calculations to simulate 3D.

Last edited:
A 3d tv can make a simulated 3d picture from 2d, don't see why Oculus can't do it.
You don't want this 3D. I can imagine some users jumping from fright believing a tree branch is going through their eyeball.

On a side note... does anyone know how to hack the GearVR to accept external USB??

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31