Phantom 3 to Mavic conversion - unboxing and pics

optional gps unit (i did not get)

Agk6abe.jpg

compass (not my pic)

v0sk25P.png

Reactions: HWCM
How come. The new shell is 385 g and the old 239g. without battery = 146g.

Stock battery is 360g. Half of that is 180 g.:p:p

Are you quibbling over 34 g?

So what am I missing??:(
My bad. I thought you were saying that 146g was half the weight of the battery. [emoji4]

My bad. I thought you were saying that 146g was half the weight of the battery. [emoji4]

Ah. Okay. Thanks. I worded it badly perhaps. Still - its quite a weight difference.

My question still stands then. What reduction of flight time would be caused by the additional weight?

Ah. Okay. Thanks. I worded it badly perhaps. Still - its quite a weight difference.

My question still stands then. What reduction of flight time would be caused by the additional weight?
Weight is a very impossible factor. I would guess a minute or two would be lost.
I have to wonder about getting vortex during a quick decent. The phantom body tilts the motors out to prevent this. Are the motors tilted on this body?

Reactions: donk
:)
Weight is a very impossible factor. I would guess a minute or two would be lost.
I have to wonder about getting vortex during a quick decent. The phantom body tilts the motors out to prevent this. Are the motors tilted on this body?

The last photo in #24 looks as though they are tilted, but its either my eyesight that is defective or the angle the pic was taken.

Another question is, are they tilted by design as you say? If they have to be, mine are not.

On my P3A, three look vertical to the arm while the fourth is at an angle. It flies well but I have always wondered.

Good point you have made.:) Thanks

Reactions: Daptone
:)

The last photo in #24 looks as though they are tilted, but its either my eyesight that is defective or the angle the pic was taken.

Another question is, are they tilted by design as you say? If they have to be, mine are not.

On my P3A, three look vertical to the arm while the fourth is at an angle. It flies well but I have always wondered.

Good point you have made.:) Thanks
They don't have to be. But you would have to decend much slower or at an angle to prevent falling through the vortex.

Alright so at this point i have it entirely put together, but having an esc error when i fire motors. I need to take it apart and redo some soldering to the mainboard. I leave town this weekend for a week, so you guys may not see me fly this for 1-2 weeks. Here's pics in the mean time :)

c7EU0Z8.jpg

hSX8Vlo.jpg

yG4vggu.jpg

cfoLGhg.jpg

nkw4ZxE.jpg

nAywLPf.jpg

o2HuBPq.jpg

TZlJXTQ.jpg

(this is my favorite pic of all of them below :p)
r7Ds3Lx.jpg

7SGRVfS.jpg

Alright so at this point i have it entirely put together, but having an esc error when i fire motors. I need to take it apart and redo some soldering to the mainboard. I leave town this weekend for a week, so you guys may not see me fly this for 1-2 weeks. Here's pics in the mean time :)

c7EU0Z8.jpg

hSX8Vlo.jpg

yG4vggu.jpg

cfoLGhg.jpg

nkw4ZxE.jpg

nAywLPf.jpg

o2HuBPq.jpg

TZlJXTQ.jpg

(this is my favorite pic of all of them below :p)
r7Ds3Lx.jpg

7SGRVfS.jpg

Outstanding work... very well done!!!

And now that i completed the build, some thoughts:

- use my screw guide, seriously. I stripped a few screws and was a PITA to get them out cause they were too long.
- keep the original screws for many parts, keep them isolated
- dont break the led's into seperate pieces before you solder them
- their solder iron aint that great
- cut wires, don't unsolder from the board. gonna be easier.
- antennas go at a 45 degree angle. May need to glue them.
- long antenna wires goto front arms, not back
- dont unplug ODFM from the fan
- the metal hinges are a pain in the rear and their way doesnt work to install. Instead, put them in, move the arm halfway until the metal hinge is 'half locked' and can be moved easily, position over the plastic things and push down. DO NOT use the pliers they want - you will break down the plastic things and the screws will not go in.
- i'm not sure i trust the metal hinges to stay in. This is a huge point of possible failure IMO. They are in their tight, but maybe could be better secured. The screws securing are short and i beatup the plastic trying to get them on.
- Putting on the top on with camera, camera wires, gps is a pain in the @rse
- test it before you screw on the top! Do this by only plugging in the GPS, not the camera and turn things on. See if your motors fire. If not, check solders.

Difficulty: 7/10 ? You need to know how to solder well and have good logical troubleshooting capabilities. Plus, you may need to be kinda dumb to tear apart a perfectly good working p3 to try this maybe. Or, just really curious. I did this with my 2nd p3a.

I haven't flown it yet, but this build should get easier over time, but easily a 2-4 hour build. I dont like that i have an esc status error and have to resolder, but thats part of the game. I'll fix it and move on :) or maybe i should send it in for repair haha i wonder what they would so. I can only imagine the techs face

bbqVvyO.jpg

I recorded every step, when i'm back in town I'll edit a how-to video (or will try!).

Reactions: deltamike and chazz
I agree with macoman: your advices and tips are priceless for us about to undergo the same process. Thanks again and again. Forgive my english: I am french-canadian.
happy to help! Viva la Quebec?!? :)

Thank you for all your time and trouble for sharing this with the group - its absolutely brilliant Digdat0, but especially the... ahem... Sh1t list, which is often missed out.

Reactions: deltamike
happy to help! Viva la Quebec?!? :)
Wow man, this is amazing.

I wish I had the guts to do this with my drone. Alternatively, I also wish I had someone with your skill in my near vicinity whom I could pay to do it for me. Lol. you sir are amazing.

Here's another installation video with English captions:

I'm waiting for the black version of the kit and in the meantime hopefully a broken P3 will show up on craigslist. Should be a fun project.

Last edited:
Reactions: deltamike
Here's another installation video with English captions:

I'm waiting for the black version of the kit and in the meantime hopefully a broken P3 will show up on craigslist. Should be a fun project.
Yup, this project is great to do for a broken phantom 3. But beware that could possibly be damages inside as well if they crashed the phantom very hard.

I have a few small cracks and was thinking of doing this instead of another dji body....
How do the motor mounts look compared the the original dji body???
Let's hope a little tougher

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor