Phantom 3 Standard range mod , let's do it together...

Probably be cheaper just buying another remote and pairing it. You would think there would be some special key combination to restore it, but no mention of one online :(

I have another remote, the remote won't pair with drone which I tried to mod

Today I brought my p3s to the local dji certified repair service. They took it for the diagnostics but already gave me dissapointing forecast: most likely the whole remote controller and drone's motherboard(in case you've also done file editing in 192.168.1.2) should be replaced :( Though I have to wait for the final verdict for 5 days, but honestly I have almost no hopes for the positive solution

Please keep me informed of outcome, which company did you send it to?

Today I brought my p3s to the local dji certified repair service. They took it for the diagnostics but already gave me dissapointing forecast: most likely the whole remote controller and drone's motherboard(in case you've also done file editing in 192.168.1.2) should be replaced :( Though I have to wait for the final verdict for 5 days, but honestly I have almost no hopes for the positive solution

I was also in repair center, also a new controller won't pair anymore with a drone so it's useless to buy new RC. But is it physically damaged motherboards? It's just a software, there must be a way to flash it without dji go app ( for a authorized service ).

Please keep me informed of outcome, which company did you send it to?
Ok, sure. I'm in Moscow, Russia so I sent it to Skymec company Skymec.ru - Официальный дистрибьютор DJI в России (warning, russian language!) it's official DJI distrubutor. I think this hack and consequent bricking is quite new for everybody so it needs some time to develop simple solution for repair service. It's just too radical to replace expensive hardware because of one line in script. But usually companies like this kind of solution :)

Somehow the 5ghz works between my (bricked) RC and (bricked) drone as I can move the camera and start the motors and they react on trust etc. No video as the wi-fi did not start up. I am not sure how to figure out if the wi-fi is broke also on the drone as I attempted a firmware reinstall but never got it to finish correctly and no txt file was written on the sd card. I would by a new controller but I am not sure if that would fix any thing. Anybody out there who has similar behavior?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Somehow the 5ghz works between my (bricked) RC and (bricked) drone as I can move the camera and start the motors and they react on trust etc. No video as the wi-fi did not start up. I am not sure how to figure out if the wi-fi is broke also on the drone as I attempted a firmware reinstall but never got it to finish correctly and no txt file was written on the sd card. I would by a new controller but I am not sure if that would fix any thing. Anybody out there who has similar behavior?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
I seen the same thing, It will not connect to drone with another remote as I got a spare remote. I trying to flash drone with earlier software.

to avoid more and more user brick the RC/Drone, I discover a new solution to do this mod:

1) connect RC/Drone
2) ftp to 192.168.1.1
3) get /sbin/djiled.sh to PC
4) open it by notepad++ / gedit / vi
5) add telnetd -l /bin/ash & at line 2, you must add at line2 before the while loop started
6) put djiled.sh back to RC, make sure file mode = 775 (rwx rwx r_x)
7) repeat step 3-6 at 192.168.1.2
8) make sure nothing wrong then reboot

by adding telnetd -l /bin/ash to djiled.sh, telnet will start when system boot, so we can use telnet to access rc/drone without touching the important file "rcS". If u make anything wrong in djiled.sh, the wifi still can startup and u can do it again until success (well, that's what I guess, i dont want to try...)

For step 9-14, if your rc/drone are using fcc mode as default, then you can skip it, dont touch the rcS file.
Use my "channel 13 mod" script at post#266, it will do 27dbm mod for you. so rcS remain as DJI original one make no chance to brick !
For more detail about "channel 13 mod", take a look at post#199-200
you can type "iw reg get" to check you are in fcc or ce

9) telnet to 192.168.1.2 (yes, patch drone side first)
10) run following command 1 by 1 to patch the rcS, it will make a copy, patch FCC mode, set open channel 1-13 and 27dbm

cp /etc/init.d/rcS /etc/init.d/rcS.bck
sed -i 's/GB/OK/g' /etc/init.d/rcS
echo "iw reg set BO" >>/etc/init.d/rcS
echo "iw dev wlan0 set txpower limit 2700" >>/etc/init.d/rcS

PS: you can vi /etc/init.d/rcS to edit by yourself too, don't try if you ask what is vi

11) cat /etc/init.d/rcS
make sure only new content is added (no diff installed, so you have to check file by yourself)

12) ls -ltr /etc/init.d/rcS
make sure it have execute mode (rwx rwx r_x)

13) repeat step 10 to12 @192.168.1.1

14) correct me if any step is wrong or missing, then reboot rc + drone

patch the rcS by telnet at RC/Drone can avoid incorrect EOL format and file changed to non-executable accidentally

in addition, you can use "channel 13 mod" at post#266, just download and save setchan.sh at /usr/sbin (192.168.1.1 only) then run, default will auto select best channel from 1 to 13 for you.
You can execute as "setchan.sh 13" to force it to use channel 13 (1 to 13)

---------not suggest to auto start, because need to modify rcS file, u can simply telnet to 192.168.1.1 on your phone and run setchan.sh manually ---------

if you want to make setchan.sh autorun when boot, use following command at 192.168.1.1
echo "sleep 30" >>/etc/init.d/rcS
echo "setchan.sh" >>/etc/init.d/rcS

or, if you want to use channel 13 only
echo "setchan.sh 13" >>/etc/init.d/rcS

no more new bricked RC/Drone cause by "27dbm mod" !

Last edited:
to avoid more and more user brick the RC/Drone, I discover a new solution to do this mod:

1) connect RC/Drone
2) ftp to 192.168.1.1
5) add telnetd -l /bin/ash & at line 2, you must add at line2 before the while loop started
7) do step 3-6 at 192.168.1.2

by adding telnetd -l /bin/ash to djiled.sh, telnet will start when system boot, so we can use telnet to access rc/drone without touching the important file "rcS", so if u do anything wrong in djiled.sh, the wifi still can startup and u can do it again until success (well, that's what I guess, i dont want to try...)

10) run following command 1 by 1 to patch the rcS, it will make a copy, patch FCC mode, set open channel 1-13 and 27dbm

PS: you can vi /etc/init.d/rcS to edit by yourself too, don't try if you ask what is vi

11) cat /etc/init.d/rcS
make sure only new content is added (no diff installed, so you have to check file by yourself)

13) do step 10 and 12 @192.168.1.1

14) correct me if any step is wrong or missing, then reboot

patch the rcS by telnet to RC/Drone can avoid incorrect EOL format and change file mode to non-executable accidentally

in addition, you can use "channel 13 mod" at post#266, just download and save setchan.sh at /usr/sbin (192.168.1.1 only) and run, default will Auto scan best channel (1 to 13) for you, and u also can execute by setchan.sh 13 to use channel 13 (1 to 13)

if you want to make setchan.sh to autorun when boot, use following command at 192.168.1.1

I think this has to be pinned somewhere.

Ok, let's see how to change channel on android phone
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

for whom having error while execute my shell script, I share it on google drive, you can download and save to 192.168.1.1/usr/sbin and chmod 775
setchan.sh

I succeeded in channel MOD with your attached file. Great!!! The channel 13 is OK. The video and RC are all operated. !!! ^^. I have one question. If the wifi connection is disconnected due to long distance flying, is P3S body still consisting channel 13? Doesn't the wifi channel of body reset as default(2,6,10)?

I succeeded in channel MOD with your attached file. Great!!! The channel 13 is OK. The video and RC are all operated. !!! ^^. I have one question. If the wifi connection is disconnected due to long distance flying, is P3S body still consisting channel 13? Doesn't the wifi channel of body reset as default(2,6,10)?

drone is "client", so when it reconnect to RC, it will use the channel RC is using (remain ch13)

1) connect RC/Drone
2) ftp to 192.168.1.1
7) do step 3-6 at 192.168.1.2

by adding telnetd -l /bin/ash to djiled.sh, telnet will start when system boot, so we can use telnet to access rc/drone without touching the important file "rcS", so if u do anything wrong in djiled.sh, the wifi still can startup and u can do it again until success (well, that's what I guess, i dont want to try...)

11) cat /etc/init.d/rcS

13) do step 10 and 12 @192.168.1.1

14) correct me if any step is wrong or missing, then reboot

patch the rcS by telnet to RC/Drone can avoid incorrect EOL format and change file mode to non-executable accidentally

in addition, you can use "channel 13 mod" at post#266, just download and save setchan.sh at /usr/sbin (192.168.1.1 only) and run, default will Auto scan best channel (1 to 13) for you, and u also can execute by setchan.sh 13 to use channel 13 (1 to 13)

if you want to make setchan.sh to autorun when boot, use following command at 192.168.1.1

Question, so if I add the telnet line to the LED file, what happens when someone still messes up the rcS file? Without WiFi you cannot telnet, doesnt matter when it starts in the process.

Question, so if I add the telnet line to the LED file, what happens when someone still messes up the rcS file? Without WiFi you cannot telnet, doesnt matter when it starts in the process.

yes, messes up the rcS file will cause bricked
so, if you are in Fcc area, u can just do step 1-9(add telnet @ djiled), and then use setchal.sh (channel 13 mod), it will boost 27dbm for you

by follow this, you are no need to modify rcS file. Dont touch the rcS file. type "iw reg get" to check you are in fcc or ce

if you are CE area, then follow step 9-14 to patch rcS, normally it is much better than download rcS to pc, modify it, upload....

Last edited:
Reactions: Argonaise
so, if you are in Fcc area, u can just do step 1-9(add telnet @ djiled), and then use setchal.sh (channel 13 mod), it will boost 27dbm for you

by follow this, you are no need to modify rcS file. Dont touch the rcS file. type "iw reg get" to check you are in fcc or ce

if you are CE area, then follow step 9-14 to patch rcS, normally it is much better than download rcS to pc, modify it, upload....
What kind of boost in distance ?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Ugh, so I got everything working great. I can switch channels on the fly... Only problem I have is that I cannot get my Galaxy S6 to see channel 13! My laptop can just fine. Stupid phone...

Reactions: SingLag
Ugh, so I got everything working great. I can switch channels on the fly... Only problem I have is that I cannot get my Galaxy S6 to see channel 13! My laptop can just fine. Stupid phone...

So another update. The selchan script does work OK for me for the most part. I cannot connect to channel 13 is one issue but the another issue I have is that after the sleep 30 command and the script runs, which I have it set to change to channel 1, after I see it change, I lose DHCP from the RC. No device can obtain an IP address. I got past this by setting a static IP to 1.20 on my phone and boom, I was back in action. Granted I wanted to use channel 13, but even on channel 1, I was able to get over 2,000ft in my urban neighborhood.

Reactions: SingLag

1) connect RC/Drone
2) ftp to 192.168.1.1
7) repeat step 3-6 at 192.168.1.2

by adding telnetd -l /bin/ash to djiled.sh, telnet will start when system boot, so we can use telnet to access rc/drone without touching the important file "rcS". If u make anything wrong in djiled.sh, the wifi still can startup and u can do it again until success (well, that's what I guess, i dont want to try...)

For step 9-14, if your rc/drone are using fcc mode as default, then you can skip it, dont touch the rcS file.
Use my "channel 13 mod" script at post#266, it will do 27dbm mod for you. so rcS remain as DJI original one make no chance to brick !
For more detail about "channel 13 mod", take a look at post#199-200
you can type "iw reg get" to check you are in fcc or ce

11) cat /etc/init.d/rcS

13) repeat step 10 to12 @192.168.1.1

14) correct me if any step is wrong or missing, then reboot rc + drone

patch the rcS by telnet at RC/Drone can avoid incorrect EOL format and file changed to non-executable accidentally

in addition, you can use "channel 13 mod" at post#266, just download and save setchan.sh at /usr/sbin (192.168.1.1 only) then run, default will auto select best channel from 1 to 13 for you.
You can execute as "setchan.sh 13" to force it to use channel 13 (1 to 13)

if you want to make setchan.sh autorun when boot, use following command at 192.168.1.1

Great work SingLag. Now all the mods would be safely done in external script.
Least crowded channel selecting, txpower boosting.
By avoiding DJI GO and using Litchi for DJI instead, CRDA restriction by GPS can be avoided.
Perfect. I'll do the mod and will report result later.
Thank you very much.

Great guide SingLag, but it doesn't seem to work for me (don't worry, no brick here ;)). Cant connect to telnet. Did I miss a password or something for that? Username?

Dropbox - Skärmklipp 2016-06-15 21.27.49.png
file seem correct, may be eol format changed ? use notped++ to covert eol to unix type then save and upload then reboot
telnet.d should be open after reboot
putty 192.168.1.1 with telnet default setting, no password

ps: dont use mac to mod......it seem most bricked device is mod by mac, similar to your case but you are so lucky with new mod method. The eol format should be wrong after save, may be you can try terminal > vi on mac

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers