Phantom 3 Standard Range Issue is a Common Problem

I would like to welcome myself back. I used to be a regular on these forums with the original DJI phantom. I just bought the phantom 3 standard a month ago. I am still taking it easy figuring out everything it can do but I had it out maybe 1200 feet or so with video transmitting good quality.

Couple days later I went out for a hike and it wouldn't fly, it said it needed a firmware update. This is my first aggravation. Why do things work fine and then when there is an app update all of a sudden it disables things. Nothing has physically changed to cause it be be non functioning? Waste of a hike but whatever

Aggravation number 2 : After the update video and control transmission seems to be all but ruined. Video becomes choppy at 200 feet and I lose the transmitter at maybe 500 feet and get a return to home. I am not experienced enough to yet say with certainty that this is what caused it as I only have a few hours on the p3, however I do have plenty of experience with phantoms so I am not some noob here. Something definitely took a turn for the worse after I updated.

I wish I kept track of the dates and serials of the updates but I didnt expect this. Now I am back on the forums. All the terms have changed. Looks like I need to start from scratch and relearn everything it has been a while.

I don't want to open up my Phantom and start soldering or do 200$ aftermarket parts. I really like the P3 so far, just give me reliable video distance up to 1,000 feet or more and I will be happy. Is that so hard to ask?

Guess what? Looks like I am not the only one that the video is choppy and loss of signal sometimes 200ft... I even added the ARGtek mod and it still gives me problems.. Don't know when the next update to fix the problem...

Last week I too started having issues with the signal to my tablet/RC. Erratic visuals, signal cutting in and out. A real headache and it spoiled a perfectly beautiful shoot of a sunrise. I couldn't understand the problem. I decided to take the RC apart and look at the connections, etc. What I found was one of the wires that connected one of the 2.4ghz antennae was loose where it was connected to the radio. It was still inserted in the crimp-on connector, but I easily pulled it out and put it back into where it was crimped! Not a very good electrical connection for sure. I ended up soldering it into the connector. Problem solved.

I thought about why the problem showed up only after hours of flying. Two things came to mind. First, I had recently changed my tablet holder to the Inspire 1 aluminum arm with the nutsert installed through the case. Maybe I loosened the wiring connection when I did that work (though I thought I was super careful not to stress any wiring). Second, I had banged into a tree while practicing ATTI flight. The prop guards helped, but the bird still bit the dust. So, either one or both of those events could have been a cause of the wire coming loose. The takeaway for me is this: The crimped connections are not very trustworthy. I speculate many of the problems reported in this forum could be traced to what I experienced.

What do you think?

Guess what? Looks like I am not the only one that the video is choppy and loss of signal sometimes 200ft... I even added the ARGtek mod and it still gives me problems.. Don't know when the next update to fix the problem...

If your having the same problem after the ARGtek "mod" ,then its not a loose or bad cable connection inside the remote thats causing the issues , as I presume you made the 3 connections for the aerials 100% while working on it.

*** Is there anyone else who has made an aerial mod to the P3 standard, and are still experiencing the range issues . ***

Reactions: mrmom852
It couldn't but could in the bird.
Thanks Dirkclod. My phrasing was probably bad. Yes, what I was getting at was the only 2 things that changed before the start of poor performance were the tree contact and the RC mod. So, the point I'm making is that the wiring from the factory may be a source of degraded radio performance. The crimped connectors are small and wire gauge even smaller yet. The surgeons or robots that assemble these electronics have to be very careful and precise. There are bound to be some weak connections in a percentage of the product.

Any time you stress the system by mods, dropping the RC, banging the rig around in the back of your truck, etc, it could be part of the reason for the poor radio performance being reported on this forum.

understand and have tried to figure out since day one with this model what is the issue with the distance is .
The biggest thing and know lots are tired of me showing this picture is this looks to be what's with many of these .
bad connection.jpeg Not mine but another member found this in his . Lots just open to see it the cables on and it might look like it unless ya
really look .

This is so frustrating, I took my phantom out today and can barely get 250 feet before video or transmitter quits. Where do I even start. I am searching the forums right now but there are a million threads about people trying to increase the transmission distance. All I want is it to work how it came out of the box month ago which was fine for my liking.

I noticed this thread was originally started in 2015. I didnt buy my phantom until a month ago and then did the firmware update just a week ago. How can I tell if it is the same firware update the OP is referring to? One would have though that my phantom would have shipped with it already? I thought I got the phantom and initially had to do an update right away before my first flight, then my second update was a week ago which ruined everything. How can I check?

What were you getting before you did the last update ?
If you were getting good then I would think it's the update .
I havn't done the last one after seeing folks talk about the issues some were having .

I Got about 1200 feet easily, I wasnt pushing it too far as I am still a noob to the phantom 3 ( i had the phantom 1 though so I know how to fly)

Now I am getting 250 feet.

I am plowing through the forums looking for answers right now but I checked my current firmware.
It says app is 2.6.1 and AC is 1.3.50. I checked the DJI website and latest release notes have 12/22/15 as 1.3.0050 and Android as 2.4.3. WTF? Something is seriously wrong here, or is DJI just slow to update their site?

I would have to go to the site and see . I didn't do it and would have to power up bird to see what I am on and can't at the moment .

My info is
App 2.6.0
Aircraft 1.3.50
With range and connection problems,
Max range before I loose the app is approx 30 mtr

Thurs 10th march .
Since my last post, I tested again , twice, iv done nothing to change anything & no updates done, and got 200mtr distance at 30mtr altitude, then took it to 75mtr Altitude directly above me. No out of range showing, everthing good
I just stopped at these distance as my battery wasnt fully charged.
The next day, fully charged up , I get 30 mtrs range and its telling me weak rc signal, and video/ app drops in and out of contact.
Confusing !
Im becoming more convinced its bad cable connections on the aerials rather than the update causing it.

Remove the connection , the white silicone glue, then ?

Test the ohms across the cable leading to the antenna, center pin to shield. If you have to use a high scale on the meter it can get a reading from you, so don't be touching both test leads. I can try it on Phantom 2, remote after work if I get time.

I am not going to get to it for a while, have to take a biz trip won't be back until the 17th, I was hoping somebody else that already pulled the stock antennas off would post some results or thoughts.

I am not going to get to it for a while, have to take a biz trip won't be back until the 17th, I was hoping somebody else that already pulled the stock antennas off would post some results or thoughts.

Was hoping the same...

As my mother used to say.....
"Patience is a virtue, seldom in a woman, never in a man, "

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20