Phantom 3 standard distance

Reaction score
Hi All,
Can anyone tell me how to get more distance with a phantom 3 standard it flies brilliantly but keeps on returning to home, I have the distance off but still comes back at around 500m I would like to go further, I am not concerned with height, I have an antenna with 3 parts one long one and two box types, don't know what they are called they were on the remote when I purchased it.
Any help would be appreciated.
Keith

I get about 1800 to 2200 feet with the Phantom 3 Standard. When I want more distance, I use the app Litchi and set up a Waypoint mission. Even when communications is lost the misson is completed.

I get about 1800 to 2200 feet with the Phantom 3 Standard. When I want more distance, I use the app Litchi and set up a Waypoint mission. Even when communications is lost the misson is completed.
Thanks for the reply, what am I doing wrong then as I get about 500m thanks

I don't know. I am just using the standard antenna on the RC.

I really don't know. I am just using the standard antenna which came with the controller.

Hi All,
Can anyone tell me how to get more distance with a phantom 3 standard it flies brilliantly but keeps on returning to home, I have the distance off but still comes back at around 500m I would like to go further, I am not concerned with height, I have an antenna with 3 parts one long one and two box types, don't know what they are called they were on the remote when I purchased it.
Any help would be appreciated.
Keith
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I have the distance off but still comes back at around 500m
This is good. As you know, keep that poorly worded feature disabled to get max distance for non mission flights.

DJI lists the specs for the P3S as:
Max Transmission Distance
FCC: 1000 m
CE: 500 m

Since you’ve noted that you are in North Wales, you are in an area with CE limits. 500m is technically the max for your location, and that would be with good conditions such as little WiFi interference.

Some have had success achieving longer range with after market range extenders, but many P3S owners, especially in CE areas, have noted a struggle with range. You’ve noted that you have some sort of range extender installed, so perhaps it’s not installed or functioning correctly or perhaps you are in a nosier area from a WiFi perspective.

It has been noted that aside from range extenders there are other more nefarious ways to get more range, so you can research those options on your own if you’d prefer that route.

Last edited:
Keith if you are lucky enough to reside in a part of the world where beyond-signal-range drone operations are allowed, then your Phantom 3 Standard is perfectly capable of venturing out on sorties covering a tad over 6 miles round trip, or 22 minutes flying time.

Litchi is a $25 autopilot app that is worth every penny, for it allows you to pre-plan waypoint missions during which horizontal camera positions can be set independently for each waypoint. Presently with Litchi, the vertical tilt angle of the camera must be set before the drone exceeds the signal range, and cannot be altered until the drone is back within signal range, but that is a trivial imperfection since one can simply preset the camera to -20 degrees downward tilt, to allow a sliver of the horizon to be visible in the resulting footage.

Obviously, if you reside where beyond signal range drone flying is not permitted, my points offered here are utterly worthless haha.

This is good. As you know, keep that poorly worded feature disabled to get max distance for non mission flights.

DJI lists the specs for the P3S as:
Max Transmission Distance
FCC: 1000 m
CE: 500 m

Since you’ve noted that you are in North Wales, you are in an area with CE limits. 500m is technically the max for your location, and that would be with good conditions such as little WiFi interference.

Some have had success achieving longer range with after market range extenders, but many P3S owners, especially in CE areas, have noted a struggle with range. You’ve noted that you have some sort of range extender installed, so perhaps it’s not installed or functioning correctly or perhaps you are in a nosier area from a WiFi perspective.

It has been noted that aside from range extenders there are other more nefarious ways to get more range, so you can research those options on your own if you’d prefer that route.
Thanks for your reply

Thanks

Keith if you are lucky enough to reside in a part of the world where beyond-signal-range drone operations are allowed, then your Phantom 3 Standard is perfectly capable of venturing out on sorties covering a tad over 6 miles round trip, or 22 minutes flying time.

Litchi is a $25 autopilot app that is worth every penny, for it allows you to pre-plan waypoint missions during which horizontal camera positions can be set independently for each waypoint. Presently with Litchi, the vertical tilt angle of the camera must be set before the drone exceeds the signal range, and cannot be altered until the drone is back within signal range, but that is a trivial imperfection since one can simply preset the camera to -20 degrees downward tilt, to allow a sliver of the horizon to be visible in the resulting footage.

Obviously, if you reside where beyond signal range drone flying is not permitted, my points offered here are utterly worthless haha.
Thanks for your reply

Thanks for that I will have to get it

Thanks

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic