Phantom 3 SE

Hi guys,

I've just bought the Phantom 3 SE. It's my very first drone and I'm an absolute beginner, although I've read all manuals and watched as many tutorials as possible.

I'm having some trouble with the signal between the AC and the RC. It's all fine when I'm flying in a 50m radius but if I go higher or further away than that, it keeps disconnecting and "returning to home". I've read the antenna on the remote control should always be perpendicular to the aircraft so that's what I'm doing, but it doesn't seem to help much.

Any idea of what I'm doing wrong, or if it's a technical issue on DJI's part?

Thanks for your help! And sorry about my broken English - French native here. :)

Hi French man welcome in the "Range issue Ph3Se" club....seems to be normal to have this issue in Ce mode.
I ask to someone: first time you connect the Ac out of the box in Dji go pop up the message "you wifi will be set for your location rules ecc ecc" (and then switch from the default mode(Fcc) to Ce).....someone tried to tap cancel in that passage??
I read that to force the Fcc for mavic there is a Hack version of dji go4 that reset this setting and after they use the Dji go4 stock, the program pop up for the change of wifi power and tapping cancel the Fcc is forced....

Hi guys,

I've just bought the Phantom 3 SE. It's my very first drone and I'm an absolute beginner, although I've read all manuals and watched as many tutorials as possible.

I'm having some trouble with the signal between the AC and the RC. It's all fine when I'm flying in a 50m radius but if I go higher or further away than that, it keeps disconnecting and "returning to home". I've read the antenna on the remote control should always be perpendicular to the aircraft so that's what I'm doing, but it doesn't seem to help much.

Any idea of what I'm doing wrong, or if it's a technical issue on DJI's part?

Thanks for your help! And sorry about my broken English - French native here. :)

You have a technical problem. So return it for repair. When you only have a radius of 50 mtrs than the 5.8 connection in the remote is broken. But don't worry, it is easy to repair.

Hi guys, thanks for your replies!

Andrewrok, from what I understand you also have no clear solution to this problem - I installed everything as explained officially as I didn't expect anything would go wrong. I also don't want to hack anything and risk to void the warranty.

chatikib, I was afraid to get this answer :-( I'm planning on going away in a few days (and for a long period) so to send it back means I have to wait a long time before it gets returned. I ordered it directly from the DJI store, do you know how long it takes to get this fixed?

PS: It's "French *woman" :-D

Hi French woman mademoiselle...i have no clear solution because: me too i bought a Se directly from Dji store with a toy range, i asked at dji support and they reply me that the solution is to change fly location or check imu.....my advice for you is...send back the bird to dji and ask the money back....

SE does have glonass
Do you own an SE? How many satellites does DJI GO app depict in open sky conditions. If you look at the P3SE mainboard it looks like the P3 standard with the RF sheilding box not installed and the components that would ordinarily be inside it are absent.

Hi French woman mademoiselle...i have no clear solution because: me too i bought a Se directly from Dji store with a toy range, i asked at dji support and they reply me that the solution is to change fly location or check imu.....my advice for you is...send back the bird to dji and ask the money back....

Is that what you did? Did you send it back? How long till you get the full refund?
I thought the problem could be the location (I've tried it in two different places, yet they're not so far away from each other). I'm planning on trying a third one this afternoon, just to rule it out.
As a beginner I'm in-between two states... really excited because even with this range problem, I'm having a lot of fun - and worried I made the wrong choice. :unamused:

Edit: In the wifi parameters, it seems possible to change the canal mode to 2.4G (it's on 5G by default). Would it change anything you think? Or does it concern only the link between the tablet and RC? Sorry if it's a dumb question.

Last edited:
Do you own an SE? How many satellites does DJI GO app depict in open sky conditions. If you look at the P3SE mainboard it looks like the P3 standard with the RF sheilding box not installed and the components that would ordinarily be inside it are absent.
Yes, 18-20 sats.

Alright, I'm kind of replying to my own message but anyway... I've tried the P3SE in a third location and got much better range there. I was able to fly to 90m high without disruption at all (whereas before the signal got lost as soon as I reached 45m/50m) and I'm pretty sure I could even have got higher without any problem. I'm now looking for an ever better location where I could try flying further away... not so easy, even in the countryside! (or at least when one follows the rules & regulations).

Alright, I'm kind of replying to my own message but anyway... I've tried the P3SE in a third location and got much better range there. I was able to fly to 90m high without disruption at all (whereas before the signal got lost as soon as I reached 45m/50m) and I'm pretty sure I could even have got higher without any problem. I'm now looking for an ever better location where I could try flying further away... not so easy, even in the countryside! (or at least when one follows the rules & regulations).
I would strongly suggest you to return it to DJI as there is obviously something wrong with drone 90m is very low even for standard in CE mod. As I already said couple of time, I flew my SE in CE mod up to 3km in open field, 1-1.2km from back yard surrounded with houses, also was flying in the city from roof of building in which almost every apartmant have wifi and building 70m away has cell phone repeater and I went over 600m with still good signal.

I would strongly suggest you to return it to DJI as there is obviously something wrong with drone 90m is very low even for standard in CE mod. As I already said couple of time, I flew my SE in CE mod up to 3km in open field, 1-1.2km from back yard surrounded with houses, also was flying in the city from roof of building in which almost every apartmant have wifi and building 70m away has cell phone repeater and I went over 600m with still good signal.
As a beginner, it's hard for me to say whether I am doing something wrong or if the equipment is faulty. Thanks for sharing your experience. Sending it back would really be a pain for me, and on what grounds could I possibly return it if it flies well where it's supposed to be? I was flying near homes previously, but it is specified that you shouldn't. So that's not a strong argument... :-/

As a beginner, it's hard for me to say whether I am doing something wrong or if the equipment is faulty. Thanks for sharing your experience. Sending it back would really be a pain for me, and on what grounds could I possibly return it if it flies well where it's supposed to be? I was flying near homes previously, but it is specified that you shouldn't. So that's not a strong argument... :-/

My suggestion is that you go out to area without near buildings, tall trees etc just large empty space. Put the antenna parallel tu do drone and hold controller parallel to the ground, go up to 80-100m height and try distance, if it is still bad then you have pretty good argument.

My suggestion is that you go out to area without near buildings, tall trees etc just large empty space. Put the antenna parallel tu do drone and hold controller parallel to the ground, go up to 80-100m height and try distance, if it is still bad then you have pretty good argument.
Thank you. Yes, this is what I want to try. I'm still looking for the adequate location to do that. I live in the countryside but it turns out it's not so easy to find an open space (power lines and farmhouses are more numerous than what I thought, and restrictions are drastic here in France...). So for now, let's try to find that ideal place on Google Maps... :sweatsmile:

French girl send back the drone... is not problem of the location!!! I flown in the same place same moment with a friend with Ph3 adv and my Se at 370 no video link...its drone 2.5km 4 bars and he has done Rth only because doesn't want to go over....
I have your same problem but i tried to modify the antennas and the guarantee now is expired....
I wonder that there are very lucky men that can fly over 2Km in Ce mode....(if Dji say max range 500mt in Ce)

Thank you. Yes, this is what I want to try. I'm still looking for the adequate location to do that. I live in the countryside but it turns out it's not so easy to find an open space (power lines and farmhouses are more numerous than what I thought, and restrictions are drastic here in France...). So for now, let's try to find that ideal place on Google Maps... :sweatsmile:

What part of France do you live?

French girl send back the drone... is not problem of the location!!! I flown in the same place same moment with a friend with Ph3 adv and my Se at 370 no video link...its drone 2.5km 4 bars and he has done Rth only because doesn't want to go over....
I have your same problem but i tried to modify the antennas and the guarantee now is expired....
I wonder that there are very lucky men that can fly over 2Km in Ce mode....(if Dji say max range 500mt in Ce)

I hear what you say. Today I managed to go 100m away and 90m up and it was fine. I didn't go further because there were houses but the signal was good all along, so I'm willing to give it another try. I've got the DJI Care Refresh so I'm guessing it doesn't make any difference if I send it back now or try it out a bit longer. Let's say I don't want to be a "bad" customer and complain before knowing for sure.

@chatikib Lower Normandy. You'd think there are only crops and fields there, but it turns out there are also people and houses... :D

For sure you need to make all test to be sure that the range issue isn't due to a wrong setup or so on.....but if there are some Se that have bad signal connection at 200mt and others that can fly over 2km in Ce mode the problem is in the drone....And if the improved wifi signal(compared to std) is so susceptible to the fly location make te bird is unreliable and not worth the money spent.

Last edited:
Does the SE firmware from your aircraft have the latest version? Could be a firmware issue the short range.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic