Phantom 3 Professional No Signal and broken firmware upgrading, fire alarm solid fail tone

Reaction score
Hey there,

My phantom 3 professional died when trying to update the firmware. I will take you through the process that I followed and the results. I've also attached the text log file.

I had not updated since version Packet: P3X_FW_V01.04.0010.bin since I bought the drone in August 2015. As you can see in the log txt file every time the firmware gets updated it has a lot of trouble. I decided to finally update it thinking a weak video signal issue may be fixed, it was getting the "no signal" issue maybe once every 10 times starting it up to fly. The RC updated to the new firmware first. I wasn't aware of the order of updating because it was listed at the very end of the directions on the DJI page. So the RC updated first through the App, and the "No Signal" became constant. I lost the ability to see the video feed. I could still control the camera. So I decided to the update the Dji Go App on my iPhone 6s which also has the newest iOS hoping to get the video feed back. No luck. Still "No Signal"

So then I decided to update the firmware on the aircraft. I searched on google until I found pretty detailed instructions on updating, they linked to the firmware on the DJI site for version v1.8.80. I downloaded it on my 2015 Macbook Pro running El Capitan 10.11, put it on the SD (first time was .bin and .pgcz because I archived it on Mac by accident). I made sure the RC was powered off, inserted the card into the Phantom, turned it on and let the update do it's thing. After 10 minutes of the proper beeping sequence, the front light went solid red and the Phantom went to a solid tone like a fire alarm. I powered down, checked the SD in the computer to see that the update failed. I tried several more times, but now it does not get passed 1 minute before the update fails and it goes to a solid tone. You can see this video here to know what happens :
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I tried to downgrade the firmware to version v1.7.0060 via the DJI website instead, but the same failure occurs. After 1 minute it fails and goes solid fire alarm tone. So I did some more internet research to find there is a secret menu to downgrade the RC firmware. The downgrade was successful, but still I get "No Signal" when connecting to the aircraft. I can control it, control the camera, record video and take photos, but I cannot get a video signal. I tried loading the App on an Android device and get the same issue, No Signal.

I went back to google again and found that sometimes calibrating the IMU can help with the loss of signal, so I tried that with no luck. Still full control of the aircraft and camera but No Signal. I also tried using a different memory card, all cards I formatted in the phantom, with no luck. Still only makes it about 1 minute then fails with the solid red light and solid fire alarm tone.

So everything but the aircraft seems to be able to update. I can connect to the aircraft but have the 'No Signal' issue still. I tried reinstalling the DJI Go app a few times as a last ditch attempt. No difference.

Any help, ideas, guidance would be greatly appreciated! I only have 2 weeks left on my trip in Bali, Java, and Taiwan and I really want to fly :(

Attachments

• P3X_FW_RESULT_AB.txt
    6.7 KB · Views: 775
Reactions: zaki
Are you erasing the SD card each time and reloading the bin file ?

The remote should be off when the Drone is updated.

I can see from your logs that you are even unable to proceed with upgrade or downgrade. You get stuck in between. Do following:

1. Get hold of another clean 64 GB SD card, format it to exFAT.

2. Delete all the bin files or zip files from your Mac that you downloaded for P3

3. Download fresh 1. 7 FW file as I understand you have downgraded your RC to 1.5

4. Keep RC in off state

5. Extract the bin file and copy to SD card.

6. Un mount SD card from Mac properly.

7. Put SD card to gimbal slot and switch Aircraft on

8. Hope it does complete its process. Wait until led light goes solid green.

9. Switch off AC

10. Read the txt file again

If you get failed to upgrade or similar message again, it's a serious problem. DJI needs to be contacted. Your responsibility is to ensure SD card was good and bin file copied was not corrupted.

Reactions: khamees1975
Probably not relevent but I had the same thing when I used on old 1GB SD card formatted to FAT 16. When I repeated using a new 64GB SD formatted to exFAT it completed the update without problem.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

My friend across the street as the same problem, i found this thread on DJI Forums : DJI Forum|Phantom 3 Professional-No Signal :(
But nobody found a way to fix, tryed to update firmware multiple times, it always end up as error (looooonnng beeep), tryed to downgrade, same result, rebinding controller don't work, we also tryed to calibrate IMU(who knows), we tryed on both android and apple tablets, we cannot find out why it does this, the phantom was working well before being stored for the winter, and now it get out of the box and does this...
Did anyone find a fix ?
(the Phantom warrante is over)
edit : we also tryed different freshly formated sd cards, same result...

Based on your description, your transmitter is on the latest update (I think 1.6 for the controller) and you downgraded the Phantom to 1.7 which is the reason for the no signal. 1.8 changed the transmission encryption so if your Phantom was downgraded to 1.7, the only way the controller will connect is to also downgrade the controller. Don't know if that's possible. But if the Phantom took the 1.7 downgrade, the only way to get a signal back is to downgrade the controller with it or find a way to get the Phantom to take the 1.8 so it'll understand the updated controller. I think what I might do is try a different memory card with literally nothing on it but the bin file in the root, and try the 1.8 again on the Phantom. I see "remo-con disconnect" in the log so make sure the controller is off. Maybe also try it in an area where the Phantom isn't likely to receive interference from, say, WiFi since I guess it's possible it mistook some WiFi interference as a controller while doing the upgrade to 1.8. In any case, if you can get the controller and the Phantom on the same firmware, I think you'll be OK. But as long as your controller is on the latest rev and the Phantom is downgraded to 1.7, it'll say "no signal". I know mine did!

Mike

Based on your description, your transmitter is on the latest update (I think 1.6 for the controller) and you downgraded the Phantom to 1.7 which is the reason for the no signal. 1.8 changed the transmission encryption so if your Phantom was downgraded to 1.7, the only way the controller will connect is to also downgrade the controller. Don't know if that's possible. But if the Phantom took the 1.7 downgrade, the only way to get a signal back is to downgrade the controller with it or find a way to get the Phantom to take the 1.8 so it'll understand the updated controller. I think what I might do is try a different memory card with literally nothing on it but the bin file in the root, and try the 1.8 again on the Phantom. I see "remo-con disconnect" in the log so make sure the controller is off. Maybe also try it in an area where the Phantom isn't likely to receive interference from, say, WiFi since I guess it's possible it mistook some WiFi interference as a controller while doing the upgrade to 1.8. In any case, if you can get the controller and the Phantom on the same firmware, I think you'll be OK. But as long as your controller is on the latest rev and the Phantom is downgraded to 1.7, it'll say "no signal". I know mine did!

Mike
He ready noted in his post that he downgraded the RC. Since he's no longer on the latest for his RC, he can use lower than 1.8 for his Phantom.

He ready noted in his post that he downgraded the RC. Since he's no longer on the latest for his RC, he can use lower than 1.8 for his Phantom.

Read the OP 3 times. Still don't see where it says he downgraded the transmitter. I guess I could be blind?

Mike

Read the OP 3 times. Still don't see where it says he downgraded the transmitter. I guess I could be blind?

Mike
Here's his quote.
"So I did some more internet research to find there is a secret menu to downgrade the RC firmware. The downgrade was successful."

Here's his quote.
"So I did some more internet research to find there is a secret menu to downgrade the RC firmware. The downgrade was successful."

Wow. Maybe I'm getting too old for this hobby. ;) Reading the log and the 1.7 mentioned before that, my mind just skipped over the "RC" part. Apologies.

Mike

Reactions: Oso
I got the same exact problem in 2 of my Phantom 3 professional I need advice please I did all suggestion mansion in this discussion no luck

MY PROBLEM the same , i did all thees ideas ... Where is the secret menu ... I have ios & android help us please ... Thank you

I can see from your logs that you are even unable to proceed with upgrade or downgrade. You get stuck in between. Do following:

1. Get hold of another clean 64 GB SD card, format it to exFAT.

2. Delete all the bin files or zip files from your Mac that you downloaded for P3

3. Download fresh 1. 7 FW file as I understand you have downgraded your RC to 1.5

4. Keep RC in off state

5. Extract the bin file and copy to SD card.

6. Un mount SD card from Mac properly.

7. Put SD card to gimbal slot and switch Aircraft on

8. Hope it does complete its process. Wait until led light goes solid green.

9. Switch off AC

10. Read the txt file again

If you get failed to upgrade or similar message again, it's a serious problem. DJI needs to be contacted. Your responsibility is to ensure SD card was good and bin file copied was not corrupted.

I did all this advise its not fix the problem still no signal , i think dji have to release the new 1.9V firmware it can fix the old version problems i mean 1.8

Reactions: JoBe
Thanks Khamees1975. I am now able to downgrade to 1.5.80. What version firmware will I now need for the drone itself, and how do I perform a downgrade on the unit?

Thanks again
You're welcome. I'm glad it worked for you.

did not work for my buddy phantom 3, he is not able to complete a firmware upgrade and or downgrade on the bird.
We are able to downgrade and upgrade the remote control.
And whatever what we try he cannot get video feed, telemetry works, histogram work, it can fly, the only thing not working is video feed.

The aircraft not accept update or downgrade now , i kneed to reset the firmware how ? I dont know ... Any ideas guys
I am sure ther is firmware to reset the batch or make the aircraft factory setting .

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.