Phantom 3 Professional Fly Away

Guys -

Unless you travel some distance from the location you did the last compass calibration, It's not required before each flight... IMHO, this could cause more issues than prevent.

Reactions: ianwood
A compass error will happen from time to time.. When this happens you DO NOT want to engaged RTH. You would want to stop and hover in ATTI and wait for the error to clear.
First flight I did not have multi-flight engaged :(
Second flight it made no difference, it had a mind of its own

Guys -

Unless you travel some distance from the location you did the last compass calibration, It's not required before each flight... IMHO, this could cause more issues than prevent.
With my P2v+ i would calibrate maybe 1 out of 10 flights. if it was from a previous location I never would. I thought I would be more proactive with the P3. annnnnnnd yeah...

Reactions: dalebb
Guys -

Could you define "Some Distance"? Like a couple miles, 10 miles, 100 miles?

Reactions: JBG
Guys -

is there a way to flush compass caching after every few flights so it recalibrates anew rather than interact with older data?

I have been on here everyday for a while as im new to Phantoms so the app disconnects are somewhat connected to the App update. You should expect a 1.2.0 by next (update every 2 weeks as per DJI) I am pretty sure they know about the compass issue if it is related to firmware. there is a reason DJI says to recalibrate the compass every new location, I recalibrate it if i fly 10 feet away from my previous flight due to the sensitive nature of the compass. it takes 30 seconds.

I had app disconnect on 1.1.1 like many. You don't need to recall the compass every flight, only if your flying 100 miles or so away from your last location. Even blade has stated this, yes it might be better but not needed.

A compass error will happen from time to time.. When this happens you DO NOT want to engaged RTH. You would want to stop and hover in ATTI and wait for the error to clear.
Good to know. I wish the manual had these pearls of wisdom.

First flight I did not have multi-flight engaged :(
Second flight it made no difference, it had a mind of its own

My question is why did you take off like a bat out of hell over open water.. Full 100% elevator towards the water? Right after a flight that had errors to make you want to take it to a park for testing?

Reactions: Apparition
Could you define "Some Distance"? Like a couple miles, 10 miles, 100 miles?

More than 100 miles for me..

Woah. I mean, woah. I was just about to go out and fly my P3P to go through all of my batteries, but this is crazy. He hits RTH, and it still has a mind of it's own. None of the movements he did should've caused that. How are we ever safe to take off when compass settings can go haywire like this? Forget my motor problems... even with a perfect Phantom, this is possible?

I sure hope we get to the bottom of this. Not flying today...

Reactions: Fjallis
Presumably return to home would not work until GPS was restored, while flicking between modes it was heading off to your left - was that the wind direction and was it a heavy wind or was that it doing it all by itself?

so if I am say 10-20 miles between sites I really don't need to calibrate the compass, thanks I was just curious

Correct...

Reactions: JBG
Presumably return to home would not work until GPS was restored, while flicking between modes it was heading off to your left - was that the wind direction and was it a heavy wind or was that it doing it all by itself?
NO wind, calm evening, video that I will post will show more. F

Thanks for uploading the .TXT file! Here's a selection of the columns from the "Comprehensive CSV" exported using http://www.DJILogs.com. The flight controller is definitely complaining about the compass error being large (COMPASS_ERROR_LARGE) and that's one of the reasons it switches from GPS mode to Atti mode, but there are also a lot of SPEED_ERROR_LARGE messages, and I'm not convinced the compass was actually wrong.

Also - at around 6/2/2015 2:01:05 AM (row 405) there is a sudden unexpected roll and yaw shock. It goes from 3.5 degrees roll to 20 degrees roll and the yaw goes from 340 degrees to 285 degrees in a split second (100ms). It also pitches back, from -21 degrees to -9 degrees. At the same time, the craft veers to the right as shown by the course over the water, even though the right stick is directly forward. My take on this is that you either hit something, most likely a bird, or one of the props/motors/ESCs started to go bad. After that point, the craft behaves very oddly, before finally beginning a rapid uncontrolled descent at row 1061.

My bet is that a bird strike damaged one of the props.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2015-06-01_(19-00-24).txt.Comprehensive.csv.txt
    129.5 KB · Views: 440
Reactions: Apparition
Yea get the video from director and post it. Very interested to see this.

Yes please, the video will answer a lot of questions.

I notice the first error thrown was the dreaded sonic sensor error, im guessing VPS was on at the time of the crash, and over water again.

I notice the first error thrown was the dreaded sonic sensor error, im guessing VPS was on at the time of the crash, and over water again.

At this altitude vps is not even reading anything. Once again VPS can not do this. Once the error is received all vps data is ignored.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic