Phantom 3 pro or advanced camera.. “ I kinda made a mistake”!!!

Reaction score
Ok so it’s been awhile since I’ve been on here and everyone has always helped me before so let me explain how I messed up.. A good friend of mine has been eyeing my mine drone up and a figured I’d put together one of my older p3a and send it to him for Xmas.. Well all was fine until I got to the part where I needed to purchase a camera, so got on trusty old eBay found what I thought was a p4p camera but it wasn’t, it was phantom 4K.. Now I understand that it will not work but why? Is it just the main board or am I completely screwed?
Thanks,Danny

If I’m reading this right, (and I’ve been wrong before)a p4p camera isn’t going to work on a p3a.
I‘ll put this on watch.

Last edited:
Is the camera youv got for a p3p or a p4
I think the OP is saying he actually bought a P3S 4K camera. I'm pretty sure that's incompatible with the Lightbridge P3A and P3P craft, since the P3S 4K craft is WiFi. I think the communications protocol is different between the camera and the craft.

Yes your correct, I bought the camera for a p3s 4K.. the only difference between the p3a and the p3p are cameras and firmware.. I’ve put p3a cameras on pros and just changed firmware.. I’m just curious if anyone has tried changing the main board on the the standard 4K camera to a adv or pro main board and it worked.. I have a feeling I’m going to be the guinea pig lol

Can I ask for some clarification here as I am new to Phantom 3 world (just picket one up used)
I thought there were the following models...
Phantom 3 which I think is the same as Phantom 3 Standard or P3S which has 2.7K camera and sends standard def to operator
Phantom 3 Advanced which I believe people call P3A which has 2.7K camera and uses Lightbridge to send HD back to operator
Phantom 3 Professional Which I believe people call P3P and it too has a 4K camera and uses Lightbridge to send HD back to operator
Phantom 3 4K (W325) which people call P34K and has a 4K camera but sends std def back to operator

Is the Phantom 3 4K different or the same as Phantom 3 Standard 4K???

I am repairing the gimbal on my Phantom 3 4K and from what I understand there are wiring differences such that the wrong gimbal will result in smoke... so I sort of want to understand all the flavours...

And I assume Phantom 4 gimbals and cameras are not compatible with Phantom 3 anything...

Thanks in advance for any insight.

A P3P is 4K. A P3A is 2.7. But you can put a P3P 4K on a P3A. You can put a P3A 2.7 on a P3P. You may have to just update the camera firmware when you change.
The 4K camera on a P3 SE is different than the 4K camera on a P3 4K. Do not interchange them, or yes,,smoke,,lots of smoke!

Reactions: crash1sttime
A P3P is 4K. A P3A is 2.7. But you can put a P3P 4K on a P3A. You can put a P3A 2.7 on a P3P. You may have to just update the camera firmware when you change.
The 4K camera on a P3 SE is different than the 4K camera on a P3 4K. Do not interchange them, or yes,,smoke,,lots of smoke!
Oh I didn’t know it was possible to replace P3A camera with P3P one’s, that’s really interesting. Is it complicated to do, any tutorial out there?

thank you and happy new year guys!!

It’s simple. Just install the P3P camera on your P3A drone. Download the P3P firmware onto your sd card and do the normal update procedure.Be SURE to have a small fan aimed at the gimbal to prevent the gimbal from getting overly warm. P3P ‘s are famous for the gimbal getting to hot during updates.
Same procedure if you are putting a P3A on a P3P drone. Only difference is that you install firmware for a P3A.

Reactions: rododendro
It’s simple. Just install the P3P camera on your P3A drone. Download the P3P firmware onto your sd card and do the normal update procedure.Be SURE to have a small fan aimed at the gimbal to prevent the gimbal from getting overly warm. P3P ‘s are famous for the gimbal getting to hot during updates.
Same procedure if you are putting a P3A on a P3P drone. Only difference is that you install firmware for a P3A.

Now I only need to find a p3p 4k camera cheaper than the drone itself!

Man,,,you got that right. Some people are parting out the drone packages and making a killing on the parts. It would be cheaper for you to buy a RTF P3P package and take the camera for yourself and sell everything else individually. You might even make some money and end up with a free camera!

I am reading this and understanding that there are THREE different 4K cameras?

P3P 4K
P3 SE 4K
P3 4K

And the only two that interchange are the P3P and P3A where you can swap the P3P 4K and the P3A 2.7K cameras with the appropriate firmware.

I am still sorting out P3 models... got this from FCC info...

W321 Phantom 3 Standard WM3211503
W322 Phantom 3 Advanced WM3221503
W322A Phantom 3 Advanced WM3221507
W322B Phantom 3 Advanced WM3221510
W323 Phantom 3 Professional WM3231503
W323A Phantom 3 Professional WM3231507
W323B Phantom 3 Professional WM3231510
W328 Phantom 3 SE WM3281705
W325 Phantom 3 4K WM3251511

I am reading this and understanding that there are THREE different 4K cameras?

P3P 4K
P3 SE 4K
P3 4K

And the only two that interchange are the P3P and P3A where you can swap the P3P 4K and the P3A 2.7K cameras with the appropriate firmware.

I am still sorting out P3 models... got this from FCC info...

W321 Phantom 3 Standard WM3211503
W322 Phantom 3 Advanced WM3221503
W322A Phantom 3 Advanced WM3221507
W322B Phantom 3 Advanced WM3221510
W323 Phantom 3 Professional WM3231503
W323A Phantom 3 Professional WM3231507
W323B Phantom 3 Professional WM3231510
W328 Phantom 3 SE WM3281705
W325 Phantom 3 4K WM3251511
Correct. There are 5 different P3 models and 3 of the models have 4K. The P3P and P3A do have swappable gimbal/cameras.
We frequently get people asking about and also sadly trying to install incompatible cameras on all models. Sometimes with smoke and other less than optimal results.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers