Phantom 3 malfunction and crash (flight record video)

Nothing obviously wrong looking at the .txt file - just looks like motor/ESC/prop failure. The Phantom dropped out of GPS mode because the speed error was too large, but that happened a couple of seconds after things started to go wrong.

Only the FLY???.DAT file will reveal more at this stage. Instructions here http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/how-can-i-read-fly-dat-files.42994/
It's already back at DJI. I tried to get it off but when I plugged the bird in it wouldn't recognize it even when I went into flight data mode. After speaking with the president of Advexure, I just let it go as I felt I had more than enough proof that it wasn't user-error.

So I received my new Phantom 3 Professional today and my very first flight? Re-enacting the exact flight where I crashed so I could get that nerves out of my system. Even when it's not user-error, you have that pit in your stomach about being in the same situation again. Ironically, it was the same day, time of day and weather conditions as the fateful crash and actually, that was the best way to put the malfunction behind me. Onward!

Now I just wait to go through the DJI process and hope they cover the original.

I just had the same exact thing happen to me. I was bringing the drone down and all of a sudden it did the same thing to me and crashed behind the neighbors house behind me. Can the owner of this thread please let me know how he uploaded his flight data so I can show and prove mine did the same exact thing

First thing, go to the User Center on your app, select the flight and you can then play the animation of the flight by hitting the play button. If you hit the control sticks icon it will bring up what your sticks were doing at the time. I literally videotaped my screen to show exactly what happened. Then everyone kinda analyzed it...

Reactions: Ghetto Bird
So I received my new Phantom 3 Professional today and my very first flight? Re-enacting the exact flight where I crashed so I could get that nerves out of my system. Even when it's not user-error, you have that pit in your stomach about being in the same situation again. Ironically, it was the same day, time of day and weather conditions as the fateful crash and actually, that was the best way to put the malfunction behind me. Onward!

Now I just wait to go through the DJI process and hope they cover the original.

Wow you got your new P3 quick! Question for you....what if DJI decides to only give you a replacement P3 and not a refund since you bought it from a dealer? Then you will have two P3's ;)

Wow you got your new P3 quick! Question for you....what if DJI decides to only give you a replacement P3 and not a refund since you bought it from a dealer? Then you will have two P3's ;)

They will indeed only give a replacement and NOT refund me. I spoke with Advexure and they said they will take a new replacement as return for what I just bought. However, don't all of you go and try that, speak to your dealers. Everyone has different rules. They knew there was no "repair" to my drone and that DJI will only replace it for free or charge me to replace it it. So either way, they're going to be getting a new unit back from me. Whether the DJI warranty will cover it? That's the million-dollar question. Well, the $1250 question. ;)

They will indeed only give a replacement and NOT refund me. I spoke with Advexure and they said they will take a new replacement as return for what I just bought. However, don't all of you go and try that, speak to your dealers. Everyone has different rules. They knew there was no "repair" to my drone and that DJI will only replace it for free or charge me to replace it it. So either way, they're going to be getting a new unit back from me. Whether the DJI warranty will cover it? That's the million-dollar question. Well, the $1250 question. ;)

So if you send Advexure a new P3 they will refund you for the one you just received?

Wow.. This all sounds incredibly familiar.. I had the same crash landing/problem with my Phantom 3 Professional back on May 15. Here's the iPad capture off my final minute of flight.. Look similar? ;)

Same situation, had around a five and a half minute flight and the Phantom was hovering around 200ft. Wildly spun out of control and crashed into a roof and then into a tree. I was able to recover the flight data. I passed all that along to DJI.

Had the unit about a week and flew it about nine times. DJI support wasn't very helpful and I... to be honest, I'm not thrilled with the response. Had to pay on my dime to ship to them their faulty drone ($50 UPS ground) back for repair for analysis and I still don't know the status or if they even looked at the data that I took the time to capture.

I felt that they should REPLACE the unit, they wouldn't confirm anything and said it would be up to 5-6 WEEKS possibly before I would see anything. They don't do a great job of communication.

My unit went back to DJI on May 20, arrived to them on May 27.. Who knows what I'll get back -- new, rebuilt??

I have ZERO confidence in this product or safety after hearing this report and have real concerns about using it around people or personal property.

See a pattern here DJI?

Wow.. This all sounds incredibly familiar.. I had the same crash landing/problem with my Phantom 3 Professional back on May 15. Here's the iPad capture off my final minute of flight.. Look similar? ;)

Same situation, had around a five and a half minute flight and the Phantom was hovering around 200ft. Wildly spun out of control and crashed into a roof and then into a tree. I was able to recover the flight data. I passed all that along to DJI.

Had the unit about a week and flew it about nine times. DJI support wasn't very helpful and I... to be honest, I'm not thrilled with the response. Had to pay on my dime to ship to them their faulty drone ($50 UPS ground) back for repair for analysis and I still don't know the status or if they even looked at the data that I took the time to capture.

I felt that they should REPLACE the unit, they wouldn't confirm anything and said it would be up to 5-6 WEEKS possibly before I would see anything. They don't do a great job of communication.

My unit went back to DJI on May 20, arrived to them on May 27.. Who knows what I'll get back -- new, rebuilt??

I have ZERO confidence in this product or safety after hearing this report and have real concerns about using it around people or personal property.

See a pattern here DJI?

I do see a pattern and if it's one thing dji is NOT known for is their customer service. Right now we have three documented cases of their drones doing the same exact thing. We all have taken screen shots of our flight data via DJI's on app and feature that they have integrated in their software that clearly illustrates what I our craft did. I ordered my P3A from DJI directly and will except nothing less that a replacement. They have been in a rush to stay head of the industry and did not do proper testing, and they're using the consumers to be their test rats. I will definitely keep this thread updated with what ever response I get back from dji customer service. Strength in numbers if any other hobbiest are having this same situation happen to you please use some other device and record you flight and post here as well. I'm sure we're not the first ones its happen too and not the last, so if Dji don't hear us now, they will here us screaming sooner than later

I do see a pattern and if it's one thing dji is NOT known for is their customer service. Right now we have three documented cases of their drones doing the same exact thing. We all have taken screen shots of our flight data via DJI's on app and feature that they have integrated in their software that clearly illustrates what I our craft did. I ordered my P3A from DJI directly and will except nothing less that a replacement. They have been in a rush to stay head of the industry and did not do proper testing, and they're using the consumers to be their test rats. I will definitely keep this thread updated with what ever response I get back from dji customer service. Strength in numbers if any other hobbiest are having this same situation happen to you please use some other device and record you flight and post here as well. I'm sure we're not the first ones its happen too and not the last, so if Dji don't hear us now, they will here us screaming sooner than later

Wow I am really concerned for my new P3A. I am assuming you were running the latest software? I have been flying a lot over water with the current floods we are having and if mine goes down like this it might not be recoverable.

I'm running the latest firmware. I just got my Phantom 3 Advance on 5/19/05 after a month of my order being placed and still waiting on a second battery. Well I just got on DJI's website. Since DJI states that phantom pilots have 24/7 tech support I tried that, well apparently they weren't ready for the overwhelming questions or complaints I still had to leave a message and wait for them to respond back.

image.jpg

Wow. Actually shaking my head right now. These look exactly like my original video. Both of the new videos are far too high for it to be trees, or a light post or hell... even a bird! If you hit something your drone simply CRASHES. These videos are showing the Phantom trying to right itself as it violently spins and rocks. I'm honestly a little reticent to put my new P3P in the air until we know what the malfunction is and can test it. This is pretty crazy.

Reactions: Ghetto Bird
I just have to wonder about compass calibrations when I see these telemetry videos. I have a very VERY similar thing happen just the other day. Trying to get more stick-time, I took the copter out to the front yard (I live in a cul-de-sac) as I have before to get a little practice in. I took off, flew 20 minutes and went in to charge the battery. Came out an hour or so later with a freshly charged battery and attempted it again....

...this time, I took off and let it hover at around 3 feet for approx. 30 seconds. During this time it had this sort of "right-slip-twitch" to it. Not a gradual movement to the right, but a twitch! A very quick, almost violent half-second jump to the right, and then re-level. it stopped so at 52 seconds into this flight I gave it about 50% forward stick, still at around 5 feet altitude, for a distance of about 20 feet.

Then as I brought it to a halt, to spin 180 degrees and return back, the Phantom 3 Pro started drifting right and climbing. It climbed from about 4 or 5 feet alt to about 20 feet and drifted right about another 20 feet while I applied more and more left stick to bring it to a halt.

Thank goodness for my previous R/C airplane experience!!

...I was able to stop the right drift with almost full left stick, and I applied down throttle to attempt to bring it closer to me.

I was able to back-up the drone, bring it back down to about 3 feet in altitude, and I centered the sticks.....which to my chagrin made it drift right....right into the neighbor's tree!

Minimal damage ( actually NO damage, just mud and scuffed props)...but it utterly destroyed my confidence, and trust in the copter!!

...so I'm taking this time to order some prop guards, peruse some fly-away videos, and collect other user experiences ( hence, why I'm here :) - just to rebuild some confidence...

...not confidence in my ability, but confidence in that this thing isn't going to have a mind of it's own!

Last edited:
It's not my confidence in my ability to fly but confidence in the craft. I've owned all three versions from the vision up to the advance and I've never encountered anything like this. I confident flying an atti and of course GPS and this is the only crash I've ever had. I've never even dropped my drone let alone crash. All three videos give the same exact picture, coincidence I don't think so, malfunction Yes. Now let's see what the industry leader does to address this issue and make their customers whole again.

Reactions: Adam Kontras

See a pattern here DJI?

Do you have a video recording? Of the actual flight

Do either of you have a video recording of the actual flight?

What is in the middle of that circle? Tree? When you finish you nearly on -100 feet

I'm running 1.9 firmware. I was 174ft in the air when my drone went down. I don't know many trees that are 175' tall unless your in California flying around redwoods. I just got my craft on the 19th of May, and upgraded my firmware as soon as I got it.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4