Phantom 3 malfunction and crash (flight record video)

I'm glad you found the root cause. But how did you not see that when you removed the props after the tip over? But thanks for sharing the info. I run my fingers on the leading edges to make sure no pits or the like. Usually an afternoon flight will have insect residue.

I know! right? That is exactly why I am so embarrassed!

...I put the tool against the motor, placed a finger against a blade and spun it off....

I never "examined" the blades, I was just concerned about removing the props indoors and testing those motors I guess.

*shaking my darned head!*

Ridiculous, I know....

The silver lining around all this though....it completely restored my confidence in DJI's P3!! :D

as long as you circumstantially flash the bin after rooting the bin and then adding the bin to the root you will be fine.

as long as you circumstantially flash the bin after rooting the bin and then adding the bin to the root you will be fine.

I need to do some research. All this root bin flashing bin root root flash bin talk is making my head spin. Seen it on a few threads now. Maybe I haven't gotten to that point in the manual yet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just spent over an hour reading through this post. It was eye opening to someone that was getting ready to order the P3P direct from DJI. It certainly has delayed me from purchasing until these situations are adequately resolved. The poor customer support from DJI is very troubled in to a perspective customer such as myself.

Reactions: twist4
Just spent over an hour reading through this post. It was eye opening to someone that was getting ready to order the P3P direct from DJI. It certainly has delayed me from purchasing until these situations are adequately resolved. The poor customer support from DJI is very troubled in to a perspective customer such as myself.

If you're waiting until these problems are resolved. You will never ever own a quad.
They all have problems.
Time to find a new hobby. :)

Never add any problem here, most problems are caused by users who don`t follow protocol, exemple taking off from the ground without checking the compass data before each take-off, and or not checking each motor, blade, sensors, interference on channels or not waiting 30/60s in hover at 5-10m altitude before starting the actual flight, to watch for any abnormal sound or behaviour after take-off. I believe most issues can be resolved and prevented by those simple steps...

I know! right? That is exactly why I am so embarrassed!

...I put the tool against the motor, placed a finger against a blade and spun it off....

I never "examined" the blades, I was just concerned about removing the props indoors and testing those motors I guess.

*shaking my darned head!*

Ridiculous, I know....

The silver lining around all this though....it completely restored my confidence in DJI's P3!! :D
Appreciate your honesty. Maybe you should prepare a checklist. You be surprised how often even a good pilot can forget something important.

I don't think a tach is going to give you useful information. The flight controller will vary the speed of the motors even when sitting on the ground. Feel the temp of the motors after each flight. Check for smooth turning of the bell housing. And that's pretty much it.

I'm okay taking a $1,500 risk associated with my piloting skills. The bird goes down because of my lack of preparation or skills, shame on me. What I am not willing to assume are the risks of a bird going form because of a design flaw that want uncovered because it wasn't properly tested and vetted. And then to have to deal with a company that seems to have such poor customer service. I do hope DJI company representatives, who are acting in an official and company sponsored capacity, are monitoring this forum and realize that it would make sense for them to out proper diligence into researching these apparent failures and communicating their findings ... in a timely manner.

Reactions: Indymzd
I've put my purchase plans on hold for now. Hopefully temporarily, but we'll see.

You cannot judge the [P3] reliability by random posts on a forum and no data on total units in-service.

You can find 'horror' stories on just about any product you can name that was designed and produced by humans.

Get one and get flying!

You cannot judge the [P3] reliability by random posts on a forum and no data on total units in-service.

You can find 'horror' stories on just about any product you can name that was designed and produced by humans.

Get one and get flying!

I second that.
I'm sure there are some legitimate failures. Problem is, there are so many user errors that the legitimate problems get overshadowed.
Most with user error post their woes on this forum in hopes DJI will somehow see the post and think, wow must be legit. :)
Sounds like a lot of batteries aren't getting seated well enough.

Thanks guys. Makes sense, you read about the .00001% here. So where would you recommend I purchase from? I live in a suburb of Atlanta (Alpharetta). I've read that purchasing through Amazon is good, but most are supplied throwing other third parties. I have also read that Advexure is good. Who would you recommend I buy the P3A from?

Thanks guys. Makes sense, you read about the .00001% here. So where would you recommend I purchase from? I live in a suburb of Atlanta (Alpharetta). I've read that purchasing through Amazon is good, but most are supplied throwing other third parties. I have also read that Advexure is good. Who would you recommend I buy the P3A from?

I can definitely vouch for Advexure's service. I have not had any problems with my P3P but my original Inspire 1 had some issues and they were right on it to resolve that back in January. I now have a S900, Inspire 1 and P3P from them don't plan on buying from anywhere else. Buying from a reputable dealer is a much better option as opposed to Amazon because you have someone to talk to that specializes in this stuff. I can guarantee you that you can't pick up the phone and call Amazon and speak with someone who knows drones inside and out. Just my thoughts :)

Oh crap, that's just crazy! Hope they will get it straightened out quickly and get you back up. Sorry man!

If you ask me, flying over a subdivision is a stupid idea. There are some many things that can go wrong that could make a drone crash that its not even funny. All it takes is your bird to land in somebody's back yard while their 14 year old was sunbathing and you will be accused of all kinds of crap. Or your bird can crash on the street while there is a car coming, and they swerve to avoid it, and crash through somebody's living room, and you will find yourself with a giant law suit. I know its fun, and convenient, but its not worth it to me.

Reactions: twist4

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl