Phantom 3 alternatives?

I think im pretty well set on the solo after discussions here and more research. Hopefully the range can be modified with antennas etc, but half a mile will suffice for now.
I like the option to use my gopro. I like the flight modes, the orbit, the wire, etc etc and I LOVE the fact that its open source, so more people can start to do cool things with it.
The mod bay to add accessories. Just lots of upside
This is absolutely nothing against the phantom, i love my phantom, just looking for a change. if it doesnt work out, ill buy a p3 :)

Until you show or share your secret technique no-one has any ide.

That's on Youtube .. what compression is from the camera and what's from Youtube?
Youtube videos are no way to critically examine camera image quality.

Youtube compression? Methinks not. That's DJI compression. Here are a few shots from two flights I did this morning. I've only put them through GoPro Studio. No real color or grade work (which should be pretty obvious). I see a whole lot less compression than DJI's cams. I see no fisheye. I do see a good deal of latitude and very little blow outs or crushed blacks. And mine is uploaded at 1080p.

(EDIT: Video replaced. Content to be released as part of a larger production.)

Last edited:
Youtube compression? Methinks not. That's DJI compression. Here are a few shots from two flights I did this morning. I've only put them through GoPro Studio. No real color or grade work (which should be pretty obvious). I see a whole lot less compression than DJI's cams. I see no fisheye. I do see a good deal of latitude and very little blow outs or crushed blacks. And mine is uploaded at 1080p.

Removed

How about this comparison for you.

Last edited:
Never replaced my lens. No fisheye in any of my shots. Is it magic?
No, it's not magic, it's software - just like almost everyone uses to get rid of fisheye distortion.
In the conversion process you lose some of the original image around the edges and some gets stretched to straighten it up.
None of this is necessary with the rectilinear lens of the Inspire or the P3.
You get useable images ready to work with without putting them through software.
Ian you'll never concede but the current Gopro with its fisheye lens is a thing of the past for aerial photography.

As for your video quality, it's on youtube so it's never going to look as good here as on your computer.
just like all the other youtube videos - they can't be used to assess image quality.

ps .. not saying your work isn't good.
Your video looks great

ps .. not saying your work isn't good.
Your video looks great
Must be my phone then. It doesn't look half as clear as the video I posted above looks on it. I'll take a look on my computer tomorrow and correct my posts if it looks better.

The detail is poor, lots of blurry lines and colors fluctuating as you fly through. Might have been clearer before you messed it up.

Right. Uh huh. Colors fluctuating and blurry lines. I'll make a note of that.

Meta, you can still compare quality on youtube. The quality of the input reflects the output. P3 vids have way more compression artifacts. My software de-fished edges have more detail at 1080p than a number of 4K P3 shots. DJI's implementation of the Ambarella has compression issues plain and simple. There are numerous videos that show it over water, in fields, on roads or where any solid areas appear for a period of time. Big portions of the shot just wash out into a horrible compression nightmare.

All the film pros on rcgroups have pointed it out. It's not like I'm making it up. That's but one of the issues.

Right. Uh huh. Colors fluctuating and blurry lines. I'll make a note of that.

Meta, you can still compare quality on youtube. The quality of the input reflects the output. P3 vids have way more compression artifacts. My software de-fished edges have more detail at 1080p than a number of 4K P3 shots. DJI's implementation of the Ambarella has compression issues plain and simple. There are numerous videos that show it over water, in fields, on roads or where any solid areas appear for a period of time. Big portions of the shot just wash out into a horrible compression nightmare.

All the film pros on rcgroups have pointed it out. It's not like I'm making it up. That's but one of the issues.
Ok, watched it on the computer which even defaulted it to 720P, once I went to 1080P it does look good. I'd be happy if it was my video. Apparently my phone wasn't even playing it in 720P, no option to change resolution I couldn't even make out the vertical lines on the building before the one with the Los Angeles sign.

Still looks bad on my iphone 6. The first building on the left is messing with the colors, fluctuating levels of pink tint.

Last edited:
I have been asking the GoPro fans for a while for a side by side comparison where the GoPro 4 beats out the Inspire camera. None have been able to provide any proof.
Doing my own research the Inspire handily beats the GoPro 4 in EVERY comparison I've seen.
I even did my own comparison but didn't perform a detailed review as soon as I saw just how badly the GoPro is when directly compared to the camera on the Inspire.
Here the Inspire handily beats out the GoPro
Another easily showing the Inspire being a better camera
My own initial test, as I said I planned to do more extensive testing but there didn't seem to be much point
There are many more videos comparing the cameras and I have yet to see one where the GoPro comes out on top.
Even more worrying for GoPro should be that the newer Sony Action Cameras (some of which use the same sensor as the Inspire) outperform the GoPro 4 Black as well. Not only in image quality but in audio, price, battery life and built-in stabilisation.
I have a GoPro 4 and it has its purpose. That purpose is to be resilient and GoPro's biggest asset, MOUNTING OPTIONS like no other camera has seen.
I'm sure that the GoPro 4 Black+ later this year will probably pass the Inspire, only to be overtaken by the Inspire 2 camera a few months after. That's just how it works... the newer camera is almost always better than the last.
The Phantom 2 Vision+ had clearly better video (and affordability) compared to the GoPro 3 series which preceded it. Then when the GoPro 4 came out, yeah it was better than the Vision+

All I can think is that all of the "Pro" shooters upgraded to the GoPro 4 and have had more time working with the footage than the Inspire but every Pro shooter I know wants the Inspire. That modular camera will be a big help with future upgrades.
I've seen some GoPro 4 footage shot super smooth and slow and with excellent lighting compared to the Inspire thrashed around like a banshee shooting dullness in a completely different part of the world, so don't show me that again. I just want to some side by side, same time, same place GoPro vs Inspire footage which shows the GoPro with an advantage.

Reactions: Meta4
The only problem with the comparison, certainly the second and possibly the third is that they used GoPro Protune which requires more processing and does look awful out of the camera. I have always disabled the mode on mine as I didn't want to spend the time in post processing tidying it up. If you watch your average GoPro footage it is better than that shown on the comparisons.

I think im pretty well set on the solo after discussions here and more research. Hopefully the range can be modified with antennas etc, but half a mile will suffice for now.
I like the option to use my gopro. I like the flight modes, the orbit, the wire, etc etc and I LOVE the fact that its open source, so more people can start to do cool things with it.
The mod bay to add accessories. Just lots of upside
This is absolutely nothing against the phantom, i love my phantom, just looking for a change. if it doesnt work out, ill buy a p3 :)
What about the Max aero star or the Typhoon 500+ and im sure there are a few more .I am the same as you i have P2V+ but fancy a change from the Phantom platform but Dji have set a high standard with the P3 including lightbridge but they should have sorted the stupid gimbal cable out and the fact that i like way point flying is another reason i am looking @ alternatives.

Yes I'm aware of all the colour grading and enhancing that can be done to make videos look better.
In all of these comparisons these are done with stock standard, straight out of the camera settings which I would say would account for a majority of users.
Especially someone deciding between the Solo or the Phantom 3 who doesn't have the time or experience to work with the footage to get every detail out of it.
The GoPro 4 launch footage of it going into a volcano looked awesome in 4k and I'm not sure I've seen many more impressive Inspire footage videos. Fact is that without the Inspire being next to it shooting the same thing (and then the hours of post processing) no-one can say that the Inspire wouldn't have done it better.
As I see it now the 3DR Solo is terrible value for money when the Phantom 3 is half the price for better quality (also doesn't come out for over a month).
Maybe the GoPro drone will be introduced with the GoPro 4 Black+ and it will be priced better but the Phantom 3 series is fantastic value for money and will be hard for any company to beat.

There's a girl who flies near me and had a Phantom 1 and GoPro 3 Black+ and wanted to upgrade. Half suggested the Vision+ (last year) and tons of GoPro fans came out and convinced her to get a Phantom 2 with FPV kit and also she got the GoPro 4 Black. She's had nothing but problems with it since she got it. No FPV, battery, range issues and has only flown it twice in 6 months and spent **** near $2000 AU on it. As of right now that buys the Phantom 3 Professional which blows away the Phantom 2 in every regard even as far as I'm concerned in picture quality.
I think she would have been very happy with the quality of the Vision+ over her old GoPro and the ease of use absolutely.

Max
What about the Max aero star
MaxAero have been showing off their X-Star since December and were going to release about now but it seems to have been delayed now (since P3 launch?) until May/June.
When the P2 was the dominant Phantom, the X-Star looked like it could have been a good competitor. But the P3 has leapfrogged the competition. It's just too far beyond what the others are offering and none of the other manufacturers have anything to match it on features alone. And then you factor in the price .. it completely blows the others away. They're all trying to compete with the P2 but DJI is now in a different race.

I appreciate the spirited responses, and this is what I was looking for, mostly :)
Here are MY pros and cons to both systems. Lets see if we can get a debate going on these points. and these are ONLY MY OPINION. My mind can be changed.

Pros for 3DR solo
- Modes of filming - Cable cam, orbit, selfie, follow etc. I think this is a really nice thing. I am not a professional photographer, and I wont have a 2nd controller to handle the pan/tilt etc on the phantom 3 pro
- Open source - i really dont think this can be understated. I have open source 3d printers and the things people do, are amazing. If the solo sells well and the community gets behind it, the power of hundreds or thousands of people free to make mods, etc is an amazing possibility.
- Run time - This is a pro because its expected to be a real 20 minutes (not hard flying of course). Factor in that I wont run a pack to 0, maybe i get 15-17 minutes. On the phantom i got 10-12 before I needed to bring it in. Just being cautious at the same battery levels.
- Go pro/modular gimbal etc. - To me, the camera matters and we can debate that all day long, but I like the fact that I can remove the gimbal, change it out, break it, replace it etc. When the next go pro comes out I can pop that one in there.
- Controller mounted camera controls - i like the option to have trigger buttons to control some aspects of the camera, from the time it takes to pan a shot, etc.
- I REALLY like the auto download to camera roll function. Not only is it a quick share methodology, but its a way to preview the shot on your phone in the field before you leave. Only to find out you missed the shot and have to return to the site. I realize you can carry a laptop etc, but this just seems easier.
- Accessory bay - goes along with open source. The ability for anyone (think mad katz haha) to create a parachute, or whatever add on they want, and it will plug right in to the accessory bay. Guess what, with an open source community, someone will modify that parachute to do something different, make it work better, etc. WITHOUT voiding the warranty.
- Swappable motor pods. a few screws and its done. No soldering etc. Thats nice.
- Automatic troubleshooting and data gathering. data is uploaded directly to 3dr in a fly away, and you are reimbursed for the entire drone, gimbal and go pro. This cant be understated. DJI has still not figured out customer service.

Pros for Phantom
- Long history of making quality birds, that do what they say they are going to do. There is a lot of power behind this point. I have a p2v+ and its been great. I had to foil mod, etc, but no big deal (although how hard is it to do it at the factory).
- Huge phantom users community - as indicated here.. The pilots are passionate about DJI, and there is something to be said for that. People here are very helpful, and always quick to offer advice etc.
- Cost - certainly vs the 3dr solo the cost of the 3 pro or advanced will win out. IF you already have a go pro, i dont buy the argument that you can factor that in to the cost, because thats already an asset you own. Thats like saying I can buy a car for 10k with a stereo, or 10k without one, but if i already have one laying in the garage to install then they are both still 10k. However, the gimbal makes it $1399, so it is more money. Just not as bad as people make it out to be. If you DONT have a go pro, then there is a much different cost structure in place and the P3 is a much more attractive option.
- Availability of parts etc - Most folks have someplace local that sells props, etc. Now when the solo launches, perhaps the best buys will carry parts etc, which will be very nice, but right now i KNOW i can hit up my local photo store and get what I need from knowledgeable people that know what they are doing. Thats a plus.
- Mod options - Today this pro has to go to DJI, because of the ability to mod the receiver to extend the range, etc. Right now, having no Gen 1 launch bird, the solo cant claim this. Thats a nice thing to have, to know I can change a couple of antennas and increase my range 2-3x.

I look at it like this. I sell enterprise storage for a living (not self storage). I work for a relatively new startup (shipping 5 years) and we are BY FAR the leader in this category of start ups. Blowing past everyone else combined. Then there are the old guard players like EMC, Netapp, HP, Dell, IBM etc.
Perhaps its my job, my risk/reward centered brain, but I look at the Phantom as the old guard. Its a safe bet, it will largely work for what you need it to do, but it may not WOW you with cool new features etc. Whereas the solo is the new guard which is taking a risk deploying a brand new platform which has more features, is open source and has the ability to take over the market over time. Is DJI that worried? probably not. Were EMC, Netapp, HP, Dell, IBM etc worried about my company 4 years ago? NOPE. Guess what? They now ALL have marketing campaigns and beat sheets on how to combat just how disruptive we have been. Analysts everywhere in quarterly earnings calls blame my company for a part of the sluggish growth of their own company.
The parallels are certainly there.

I may add on to this with a con list soon, but right now i wanted to get out my current thoughts. I am more of a risk taker. If the solo has a horrible track record and i sell it for 900$. ive lost $500, but to me, its not the end of the world.
Id like to get your thoughts on the above list.
Im sure i will get criticized for seeming too pro solo and anti dji. That isnt the case at all, im trying to be pretty objective. I see the DJI strengths heavily rooted in longevity, community and health of the overall DJI phantom customer base. I see the strengths of the solo differently, much more in line with the up start that HAS to make waves to upset the apple cart. If they didnt pack more features, more flexibility, more support etc they would have NO shot.

thanks

You're over thinking this ....
The features, differences and pros and cons have been written in 100 posts already.
Going over them again doesn't change anything.
You're sold on the 3DR anyway.
But one thing you have wrong is this ...
I look at the Phantom as the old guard. Its a safe bet, it will largely work for what you need it to do, but it may not WOW you with cool new features etc. Whereas the solo is the new guard which is taking a risk deploying a brand new platform which has more features, is open source and has the ability to take over the market over time. Is DJI that worried? probably not.
That sounds like you are talking about a Phantom 2. The P3 is the leading edge of flying camera technology.
Talk about wowing you with cool new features! Lightbridge HD video at 2+ km!! A dedicated aerial camera with full control.
All at a tiny price!
Meantime 3DR is bringing out a pedestrian drone that's so last year.
Less flight time, promised accessories that aren't developed and a crummy Gopro camera all for a much higher price.
If the gimmick features like follow me are important for you, the P3 will have them quite soon.
You've got it backwards. Phantom 3 is the new guard. 3DR's offering is old before it's released.

Reactions: bbfpv
I agree with dunginhawk in terms of new guard.

DJI have slowly evolved their product since the original Phantom. The Phantom 1 was the first step, when that thing came out you used a thumbscrew to point the camera at the angle you wanted and took off, flying and taking images was real guess work. The Phantom 2 allowed for testing of various upgrades and addons. The Phantom 3 is pretty much the culmination of all of that tech previously implemented in one form or the other.

It actually isn’t new, but it’s a great package which doesn’t require a soldering iron and I have preordered one.

But the 3DR SOLO despite its awful launch video has really impressed in terms of feature set and I have spent a couple of days looking at IRIS+ videos and was amazed to see they have had integration on a smart watch for at least a couple of months. I for one would love to tap a button on my phone or a smart watch and have the SOLO perform a selfie, an orbit a cable run or follow me when I am out an about with my family without having to look down at the controller screen all the time. That is a new kind of thinking that you often only see from the underdog like 3DR.

To be honest, as long term users of DJI we should demanding of them the same kind of innovation instead of repackaging the same old tech and selling it to us every year. To say it’s in the SDK is not of any real benefit to us, their SDK is buggy and that will take time to resolve, the developer will have to pay DJI and the mobile devices app store which will raise costs for us and DJI get to shift the liability to someone else and I doubt an application developer will be able to compensate anyone for loss or damages caused by bad code and their T&Cs will mitigate against any potential risk.

So the upshot is, enjoy the Phantom 3 but question the corporate line that DJI are pushing and there is nothing wrong with looking at the alternatives.

Last edited:
I have been asking the GoPro fans for a while for a side by side comparison where the GoPro 4 beats out the Inspire camera. None have been able to provide any proof.

I'm not sure who you've been asking for a comparison. I don't have an Inspire. I would only get one if I could put a GoPro on it. As for the difference, use this for reference. I pulled it together in about 20 minutes so you can consider it pretty much raw, ungraded footage straight from the camera after cutting the clips for conversion to a Protune intermediate in GoPro Studio and applying only rough (very rough) white balance.

If you want something that is actually edited and graded properly, try this:

If you want to see what the H3+B could do back when I barely knew what I was doing, watch this:

P.S. I have to question why the GoPro footage is so bad in your comparisons.

Last edited:
Reactions: PhantomPhreak
You guys are dji fans, I think 3dr package is much better and I'm the future 3dr will allow updates without getting a new bird, on other hand dji will release the Phantom 4 to fix the needs of the Phantom 3 and people will get a new one...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik