Phantom 3 Adv flipping on take off

Reaction score
Hi all

I bought a drone around 3 weeks ago, from a retail store, its previously owned but in fine condition.

I have flown the drone many times, previously using a little toy stunt one and then a friends DJI spark and now my own phantom. I have flown the drone fine, up to heights of 200 metres and high speed flying, practicing and generally flying with no issues at all. Today the drone was flying fine, it felt a little unresponsive so I bought it back, noticing it seemed to be wobbling as it landed.

Now, it wont take off without crashing into the floor instantly. The same way, everytime. I have tried different batteries,different rotors, compass configurations, IMU calibrations, allowed it to cool down. turned it on and off and everything. Please help me as I have only had it a few weeks and bought a carry bag and another battery in my excitement. The store has a 2 year return but they are well known for terrible customer service and not caring as they only deal in second hand games etc.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: David_Cambridge
Now, it wont take off without crashing into the floor instantly.
Does it do this with both auto and manual takeoff? We most likely will need to see the aircraft .dat log to determine what the issue may be. If you have not done that before, see the link below. Once you have the log file you will need to upload that to a sharable site such as dropbox, google drive etc..and share a link back here to that. The device log does not contain the information we would need to look at. Otherwise I would start there. See this link for instructions.

Retrieve Aircraft .Dat Log

Reactions: Shoot4fun
One additional note. If you can upload your device .txt log from the flip over, we can tell you which .dat file you need from the aircraft. It would be easier for you to locate that way. You can upload the .txt file directly here.

Reactions: David_Cambridge
Does it do this with both auto and manual takeoff? We most likely will need to see the aircraft .dat log to determine what the issue may be. If you have not done that before, see the link below. Once you have the log file you will need to upload that to a sharable site such as dropbox, google drive etc..and share a link back here to that. The device log does not contain the information we would need to look at. Otherwise I would start there. See this link for instructions.

Retrieve Aircraft .Dat Log

FLY250 is not the correct file. There is no motor start.

Welcome to the Forum!

Does it always tip the same way, could be a problem with the remote?

If you play back your flight in the GO-App, you have an option to view your stick movements...

Rod

Reactions: Quest-So
I will try some others as there are many
As I mentioned, if you know the date, upload your device .txt file here and we can tell you which .dat you need. These files are recorded from every power on regardless of takeoff or not.

Welcome to the Forum!

Does it always tip the same way, could be a problem with the remote?

If you play back your flight in the GO-App, you have an option to view your stick movements...

Rod

Its an auto take off every single time.

But nothing has changed from the times I have flown it before with both batteries.

That to me indicates a motor or ESC issue. But we need the data to tell you.

So despite being an ex Rare and Xbox software tester, Im an idiot and new to drones and I realized that obviously it creates a log every time I turn it on....so theres tons of them.
Also, I tried another battery which updated ( despite working before ) and the drone took off fine in auto and manual in the garden .....so im even more confused now. I will post the latest log and one from earlier but as theres so many it may not show a crash for you.

Im even more confused now and frankly sorry for wasting your time.

Do you have time stamps on the logs and that video that correspond with one another?
That looked a vicious twitch.

Im even more confused now and frankly sorry for wasting your time.
You are not. We are trying to assist you. I realize there are a lot of files on the aircraft, but if you simply upload the .txt device file from your tablet or phone which are dated easily to see it will tell us which aircraft file you need. See this link for how to get to them. There is no need to upload to the Log Viewer, just follow the instructions for getting the file and upload it here.

Follow this: Log Viewer

Reactions: Shoot4fun
FLY249 looks correct. You definitely have a motor and/or ESC problem. I would have to do more detailed looking to descern which since this log is so very short. But I would ground the aircraft for now most assuredly.

Thank you, I will try again in a few days when I can but only keep it low if it does fly. It took off fine earlier but I downed it right away. Thanks for the help

Reactions: RodPad
It took off fine earlier but I downed it right away.
Whichever it is, it must be an intermittent issue with one or the other and those are almost impossible to isolate with data alone. @sar104 any input on this one from FLY249?

Whichever it is, it must be an intermittent issue with one or the other and those are almost impossible to isolate with data alone. @sar104 any input on this one from FLY249?

Well for starters the motor control signals look very strange - they are all over the place. The motors look okay. The rate gyros are correctly detecting the aircraft attitude change.

The cell voltages also drop rather precipitously on takeoff, but whether that's enough to cause the problem I don't know.

Reactions: RodPad
My P4 has a bad motor which I found it by accident literally. But I'm still flying it now carefully. One day it started Landing funny, very shaky, then it did the same thing on take off. With the props off I spun the Motors as fast as I could by hand and one was very loud. Bought a new motor then tried to fly it again before installation and it flew just fine. The motor is now on standby hoping I don't crash. It's worth a look. the flight app never gave me any warning of this

@Chickabump Going by the event log along with the data as it is. I would suggest an ESC issue as opposed to a motor.
Events2.png

Reactions: Capt KO

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic