Phantom 2 Vision Plus

I jumped ship from the Vision (which I still own) when I realised that the camera upgrade path was likely to be a dead end. If they don't release a retrofit for the existing Vision owners then my suspicion will be confirmed. I am eagerly awaiting the Gopro 4. I am hoping they keep the same form factor which I think is highly likely. All I will have to do then is unclip the old one and slot in the new.

Anyone buying the Vision+ now should do so in the full expectation that they will not be able to upgrade the camera in the future. I agree with the observation that a new better camera is highly likely to make an appearance sometime around christmas. That might need a whole new quad to use it though. Just as it does now. Unless of course they release an upgrade kit.

My advice would be anyone who thinks they may wish to upgrade to a better camera as their expertise grows would be better off going the Phantom 2 route with a Gopro.

Shrimpfarmer said:
I jumped ship from the Vision (which I still own) when I realised that the camera upgrade path was likely to be a dead end. If they don't release a retrofit for the existing Vision owners then my suspicion will be confirmed. I am eagerly awaiting the Gopro 4. I am hoping they keep the same form factor which I think is highly likely. All I will have to do then is unclip the old one and slot in the new.

Anyone buying the Vision+ now should do so in the full expectation that they will not be able to upgrade the camera in the future. I agree with the observation that a new better camera is highly likely to make an appearance sometime around christmas. That might need a whole new quad to use it though. Just as it does now. Unless of course they release an upgrade kit.

My advice would be anyone who thinks they may wish to upgrade to a better camera as their expertise grows would be better off going the Phantom 2 route with a Gopro.

Good and fair point. Although what happens if the gopro 4 is a different size/weight, feels like a tall order for Gopro to make the 4 the exact same size and in particular the same weight. The H3-2D/3D are very sensitive to weight load so anything slightly different probably wont work. However at least with the P2 you can hopefully just buy an upgraded Zenmuse gimbal to match up with a new gopro, if need be. Or perhaps the new Vision + will allow you to change/upgrade the gimbal in the future?

DJI are definitely moving extremely quickly with their new products. I am wanting to upgrade from my trusty P1 and keychain camera. Its getting really confusing - P2 with H3-3D or Vision +? ahhhhhh!!!

Meluk said:
Good and fair point. Although what happens if the gopro 4 is a different size/weight, feels like a tall order for Gopro to make the 4 the exact same size and in particular the same weight. The H3-2D/3D are very sensitive to weight load so anything slightly different probably wont work. However at least with the P2 you can hopefully just buy an upgraded Zenmuse gimbal to match up with a new gopro, if need be. Or perhaps the new Vision + will allow you to change/upgrade the gimbal in the future?

DJI are definitely moving extremely quickly with their new products. I am wanting to upgrade from my trusty P1 and keychain camera. Its getting really confusing - P2 with H3-3D or Vision +? ahhhhhh!!!

Then a lot of P2 owners will be stuffed temporarily. I don't think Gopro will do that though. They changed the form factor when they switched to the Hero 3. Their latest incarnations claimed to be smaller but that was just the casing, the camera was the same size. Truth is though manufacturers deliberately do change. They say its to make a better product but sometimes its just to create additional revenue. Look at how the Iphone constantly changes shape. Fingers crossed :?

Shrimpfarmer said:

Good points. My pv2 is arriving this week and I have ordered a rotorpixel. My thought is now to stay this course as I believe the rotorpixel will be much more adaptable for other cameras down the road and upgradable as my interest is more with still images than video. DJI has shown it takes a number of months after they release anything to actually get it right so this way I can fly and learn and at least with a rotorpixel I can have half decent images and video (until I can get a rx100 II on it or something else).

CosmicFTW said:
I think we are all waiting for this answer. To me it doesn't look promising as the new gimbal suits a different camera and may not be able to house the FC200. I doubt DJI have made another dedicated to the V2...but we will soon know either way!
Something else know one has mentioned is that Gopro will release the Hero 4 later on the year that will do 4k @30fps so imagine that sitting on your PV2 with an aftermarket Gimbal and FPV etc!
There is always something better round the corner lol
My best option now would be to get a gimbal for the FC200 that can be modified to fit the Gopro 4 later on....if this is possible?
Cos.

Totally right! Thats what i will do.. I'll stick with my rotorpixel, and wait for the GoPro 4. Probably RP got a upgrade for their product. Video's Will be 10 times better.

AnselA said:
DJI web site does not specify GS functionality for Vision plus... ???

Well since they specify Tx range to 400/800 meters and range to 15 km, I think it is safe to assume there is GS functionality? Seems to be the same functionality that they promised for the P2V though. And the same camera... So in effect, a $800 3-axis gimbal?

DKDarkness said:
AnselA said:

Well since they specify Tx range to 400/800 meters and range to 15 km, I think it is safe to assume there is GS functionality? Seems to be the same functionality that they promised for the P2V though. And the same camera... So in effect, a $800 3-axis gimbal?

I think that range figure is just speed * battery life.... Probably assumed you are flying in circles :)

DKDarkness said:
AnselA said:

$800 gimbal?... price is listed on DJI site as $1389 with spare battery.... where does the 8 hundred come from?

DBS said:
DKDarkness said:
AnselA said:

$800 gimbal?... price is listed on DJI site as $1389 with spare battery.... where does the 8 hundred come from?

Take away the cost for the Phantom Vision airframe. Its the same bit of kit, the camera has not changed much in quality so whats new is a nice gimbal.

AnselA said:
Mactab said:
EDIT: yes looking at the Dji website more in depth and yes it still says 'Extremely High Quality Camera' and that DNG is available immediately with the lens profile to correct the distortion and 14mp says to me its a FC200 camera in a new body. That is disappointing.

Adobe Camera Raw 8.4 (will be released in few days?) will have a profile for:

"DJI Phantom Vision FC200 (for raw files)"

but no other DJI camera model.

I just looked at the "downloads" section for the DJI Phantom Vision+ and it says "FC200" camera, with a different version number. Did they just forget to change the camera name? Or is this just a different configuration of the FC200??? :(

-slinger

Shrimpfarmer said:
Take away the cost for the Phantom Vision airframe. Its the same bit of kit, the camera has not changed much in quality so whats new is a nice gimbal.

Yup. A nice 3 axis gimbal, all the bug fixes we beta tested out of the original Vision, longer and crowned spring loaded battery connector pins, an external USB port on the TX... for $100 more than we paid for the original Vision a few months ago.

That's not the least bit aggravating... nope! :)

-slinger

gunslinger said:
Shrimpfarmer said:

Yup. A nice 3 axis gimbal, all the bug fixes we beta tested out of the original Vision, longer and crowned spring loaded battery connector pins, an external USB port on the TX... for $100 more than we paid for the original Vision a few months ago.

-slinger

Not to mention double the FPV range out of the box stock. Nope not aggravating at all.

BenDronePilot said:
gunslinger said:
Shrimpfarmer said:

-slinger

Not to mention double the FPV range out of the box stock. Nope not aggravating at all.
It is almost as though they let all the 3rd party suppliers do their market research for them. Just watched what people bought such as range extenders and gimbals and then said 'OK, if that is what the market wants then that is what we will give them". As mentioned before I feel a bit sorry for the 3rd party suppliers who have spent a lot of effort devoloping add-one just to see DJI pull the rug out from under them. Suppose that is just business.

gunslinger said:
Shrimpfarmer said:

-slinger

Yeah really! Pisses me off. I guess I will just stick with my P2V and Rotorpixel gimbal and hope to upgrade with a third axis and better camera in the future. The RP gimbal is at least designed to be fairly universal and the P2V+ and H3D3 whatever gimbal from DJI is not universal either.

Scottrod said:
Yeah really! Pisses me off. I guess I will just stick with my P2V and Rotorpixel gimbal and hope to upgrade with a third axis and better camera in the future. The RP gimbal is at least designed to be fairly universal and the P2V+ and H3D3 whatever gimbal from DJI is not universal either.

This. :idea:

gunslinger said:
Shrimpfarmer said:

-slinger

Well at least my several day old P2V has a USB port on the bottom of the TX!! ;) So I guess that is a small "win".

Shrimpfarmer said:

My only hold up on not buying the Phantom 2 and Gopro is that although you can get video downlink to see what camera sees, you still cannot control the camera from ground, meaning you have to turn camera on before takeoff letting the camera run full time for video. And if you want to take still shots you cannot control that either, you have to set camera to take a certain number of shots as you fly and hope you get what you intended to as Gopro wifi interferes with Phantom 2 wifi. Seems like an editing nightmare to me time wise. If DJI would team up with Gopro and their cameras would work through the DJI vision app that would be a fantastic situation.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TK-62119