Phantom 2 Vision+ GPS Upgrade -FANTASTIC!!!

The first one I did it rotated a few degrees while i soldered it back in, the Second one i held on to better so it's in the square perfect, both work fine you just have to be sure the holes aren't blocked or the screws won't be able to hit their marks.
Both work fine and there was no mention of alignment or a way to tell if there is a cut corner aka CPU's on motherboards. D

I'm about 4 months in with my P2, and from the horror stories I've heard about the warranty, and the lack of any support whatsoever from the place I got it from, I'm not worried too much about voiding the warranty. The module should come in today, but I had to order some desoldering stuff, and everything else that goes with it actually. That stuff won't arrive till next week. I'm using that time to learn/research how to solder/desolder. Figure by then I should have the hang of it.

Question (for anyone actually...): I've seen videos and web sites going through this mod, and some people mount the module in the same square config as the old one, and some spin it about 45 degrees. Is there an advantage/disadvantage for either orientation? I would think not, so why not just keep it in the same orientation...

nope as long as it fits enough to screw the module in it will work no matter. the antenna is "pointed up" for lack of better terms with wide angle reception to horizon.
since the quad spins and turns on same axis as antenna ground plain it is all the same to the antenna

I'm about 4 months in with my P2, and from the horror stories I've heard about the warranty, and the lack of any support whatsoever from the place I got it from, I'm not worried too much about voiding the warranty. The module should come in today, but I had to order some desoldering stuff, and everything else that goes with it actually. That stuff won't arrive till next week. I'm using that time to learn/research how to solder/desolder. Figure by then I should have the hang of it.

Question (for anyone actually...): I've seen videos and web sites going through this mod, and some people mount the module in the same square config as the old one, and some spin it about 45 degrees. Is there an advantage/disadvantage for either orientation? I would think not, so why not just keep it in the same orientation...

pretty much the way anymore with most electronics, in the end often cheaper and almost ALWAYS faster
total and or out of box type failure ill deal with warranty, smaller , stuff is not worth hassle mostly.

Well just did the gps gps upgrade with the 4mm unit. I now have zero sats. Wtf ? It's soldered in didn't have any problems taking it of or installing new one.

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1447787561.689339.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1447787585.422972.jpg

Here's some pics.

Well just did the gps gps upgrade with the 4mm unit. I now have zero sats. Wtf ? It's soldered in didn't have any problems taking it of or installing new one.

I would reheat your solder iron and do a quick reheat to make sure it solid connection, other than that make sure your plug is set into motherboard all the way.

good luck and have fun flying!

I installed mine in the original orientation as the pin on the puck is offset and it makes for a better installation.

I installed mine in the original orientation as the pin on the puck is offset and it makes for a better installation.

I would think that too... not sure why I saw someone install it rotated 45 degrees... I'm getting my soldering equipment in next week, going to practice a bit before taking the plunge. Already received the upgraded chip.

Good luck and it is worth the trouble. Picked 4 + more satellites even in the house. Outside I went to 11-12 OVER THE PREVIOUS 6-7.

Don't forget... New equipment requires a new calibration of the IMU and compass.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4