Phantom 2 NAZA replacement

Reaction score
Recently I crashed my Phantom 2 vision into salt water. I washed it out with fresh and let it dry. Everything seems functional except for the NAZA, which is very expensive. If i were to get the NAZA m lite, would my phantom still have the same functionality as before?

The Phantom Naza M firmware differs from the 'over-the-counter' version.

I cannot list them all but one significant difference is smart battery (SB) requirement.

The non-Phantom Naza has no such restriction or requirement to communicate with the SB.

I'm sorry I can't help you with that.

Hopefully someone else will 'chime in' to help you from here.

Thanks, this is my first time on the forum. Everyone seems helpful from what i've seen!

You have to get the NAZA made for the Phantom II. I just went through this thinking they were all the same. The seller helped me out in the end but stated flatly that plugging the non-Phantom NAZA into a Phantom will damage it. I was trying to save about $30 and ended up losing more in the exchange.

Get the correct NAZA.

Geo

A friend of mine gave me his Phantom vision as it was no more use to him (the camera did not work anymore)

As a new (WIFI) camera is really expensive, and as I still had a DJI Naza M Lite Flight controller I opted for replacing the Phantoms NAZA with a true DJI Naza M Lite, and adding another camera to it.

The transfer was easy, but the DJI Naza M Lite did not recognize the Vision's GPS (and compass).
I replace the original GPS in the Vision with the one that came with the DJI Naza M Lite.
I also replaced the compass with the original one from the DJI Naza M Lite.

After changing some small settings in the "DJI NAZAM Lite Assistant" it worked except the LED's.
(note: The LED's are now replaced with the one in the DJI Naza M Lite LED unit. This unit is now also used to connect the USB)

I've also replaced the receiver in the Vision with a Graupner receiver, and this is also working fine with my Graupner MX12 HoTT

So basically I've now got a Vision working with a true DJI Naza M Lite on 2.4GHz.

I'm now adding a 5.8GHz video transmitter so that I can use my Fatshark goggles with it.
Unfortunately does a DJI Naza M Lite not work with the DJI iOSD (for telemetry), so I might change the DJI Naza M Lite later for a NAZA-M V2.

I'll be creating a thread about the project when all is done.

I hope that it's obvious that the DJI app will not work anymore with the above setup.

Geoelectro said:
The seller helped me out in the end but stated flatly that plugging the non-Phantom NAZA into a Phantom will damage it. I was trying to save about $30 and ended up losing more in the exchange.

You might want to let your seller know (in a friendly way) that many people have transplanted a standard NAZA v1/v2 (or even NAZA lite like Noel here) in a P2 with no issues. Usually this is done to get around the requirement of using DJI's batteries. The smart battery is fine without the P2-specific NAZA+firmware, but the latter can't work without the former.

OI Photography said:
Geoelectro said:
The seller helped me out in the end but stated flatly that plugging the non-Phantom NAZA into a Phantom will damage it. I was trying to save about $30 and ended up losing more in the exchange.

You might want to let your seller know (in a friendly way) that many people have transplanted a standard NAZA v1/v2 (or even NAZA lite like Noel here) in a P2 with no issues. Usually this is done to get around the requirement of using DJI's batteries. The smart battery is fine without the P2-specific NAZA+firmware, but the latter can't work without the former.
Well it may be possible but I wouldn't call having to change the GPS, LEDS no longer working and APP no longer working "no issues".
Interesting about the batteries...

Geo

Geoelectro said:
Well it may be possible but I wouldn't call having to change the GPS, LEDS no longer working and APP no longer working "no issues".
Interesting about the batteries...

Geo
This is in my "modified" vision with a NAZA-M Lite and NOT the original WIFI camera!
If I would have used a working Vision camera the app would still work fine.

I'm going to have another look at the original Vision GPS/compass to see if I can make it work with the new NAZA-M lite.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94