Phantom 2 & Gimbal H3-2D

Reaction score
I just purchased a Phantom 2 and Zenmuse Gimbal H3-2D. I have all the latest firmware for Main Controller(1.08), Receiver-Phantom 2(1.0.0.0), P330CB(1.0.1.19), Gimbal CMU(1.0), Gimbal IMU(1.8).

My first question is regarding the picture I have attached here, do I have the Gimbal mounted correctly onto the Phantom 2? I finally saw a video that has the "updated" mount and it appears I should move it back to be more centered on the base?

Second question: Do I need to take any steps or configure anything in Naza M mode of the Assistant Software before 1st flight? Is the phantom automatically in GPS mode out of the box, do I have to actually "turn it on". Do I need to take any steps(other than calibrating the compass in the field) to make the Phantom "return to home" when I go to fly it?

I definitely do not want to fly in "manual mode" just yet, what steps do I take to not fly in manual mode?

Issue I am having with Gimbal tilt control with X1: When I first installed the Gimbal, the tilt lever control on the back of the D6 controller was tilting the Gimbal beautifully, slow and easy. Now, after updating everything, when I move the tilt lever it shoots the gimbal angle from one extreme to the other(downward), there's no stop in between. I have tried adjusting the Manual Control speed, Servo travel limit pitch, etc. No changes happen when i adjust any of these things.

Forgive me if I am asking any "simple" or "obvious" questions, I am rather new at this. Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated! I want to get this thing in the air, I just want to cover ALL my bases before I do.

Attachments

• 20140209_141418-revised.jpg
    20140209_141418-revised.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 625
stewdaddy said:
My first question is regarding the picture I have attached here, do I have the Gimbal mounted correctly onto the Phantom 2? I finally saw a video that has the "updated" mount and it appears I should move it back to be more centered on the base?

Dunno - my H3-2D looks different to yours, and is mounted differently. This page has a video to what mine looks like and how it is installed (http://www.dji.com/tutorial/phantom-2-tutorials/). Did you get one specifically made for the Phantom 2 ?

stewdaddy said:
Issue I am having with Gimbal tilt control with X1: When I first installed the Gimbal, the tilt lever control on the back of the D6 controller was tilting the Gimbal beautifully, slow and easy. Now, after updating everything, when I move the tilt lever it shoots the gimbal angle from one extreme to the other(downward), there's no stop in between. I have tried adjusting the Manual Control speed, Servo travel limit pitch, etc. No changes happen when i adjust any of these things.

I had the same issue and was scratching my head for some time. This is what I did to resolve the X1 extreme tilt issue. Update the controller using the "DJI Phantom RC Assistant", once the update is complete run the calibration in the same software. **Also take note of the instructions when updating, its explain the steps to follow - would have saved me some time :?

Once updated connect your phantom 2 to the "DJI Phantom 2 Assistant" and update the Gimbal and then recalibrate the controller using the "DJI Phantom 2 Assistant". GOOD LUCK!!

dave_milne said:
stewdaddy said:

Dunno - my H3-2D looks different to yours, and is mounted differently. This page has a video to what mine looks like and how it is installed (http://www.dji.com/tutorial/phantom-2-tutorials/). Did you get one specifically made for the Phantom 2 ?

Yes, I have found plenty of information on that particular mount. Apparently DJI is now sending the H3-2D units with this mount (see attached) as kind of an "all purpose" mount to fit numerous quadcopters......at least that's what the guy at hobby shop told me, can't find anything to confirm this though. Thanks

Attachments

• 1011852.jpg
    1011852.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 552
olly3010 said:
stewdaddy said:

I had the same issue and was scratching my head for some time. This is what I did to resolve the X1 extreme tilt issue. Update the controller using the "DJI Phantom RC Assistant", once the update is complete run the calibration in the same software. **Also take note of the instructions when updating, its explain the steps to follow - would have saved me some time :?

Once updated connect your phantom 2 to the "DJI Phantom 2 Assistant" and update the Gimbal and then recalibrate the controller using the "DJI Phantom 2 Assistant". GOOD LUCK!!

Thanks, I think I have already done this but I will give it another shot. Thanks!

olly3010 said:
stewdaddy said:

AWESOME!! I re-ran the DJI Phantom 2 Assistant update and calibration.....it worked!

There are two different H3-2D versions (that I'm aware of). There is the original H3-2D and then the P2 H3-2D. The original gimbal mount is parallel with the gimbal, like a +, whereas the newer P2 gimbal mount sits at 45º to the gimbal, like an X. The P2 gimbal also has black instead of brass-colored metal next to the X Axis motor. Aside from the mounting setup, and the black metal, I don't think there are other differences, but I don't know for sure.

Original Gimbal:
DJI-Phantom-2D-H3-Zenmuse-Gimbal-730x442.jpg

Phantom 2 Gimbal:
zoom_96870248_dji-phantom-2-uk-stock.jpg

stewdaddy said:
olly3010 said:
stewdaddy said:

AWESOME!! I re-ran the DJI Phantom 2 Assistant update and calibration.....it worked!

Good to hear

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl