Petitioning for Exemption under Section 333

They may eventually change the private pilot requirement but the requirement for silver briefcases stuffed with unmarked $100 bills will remain in effect for the foreseeable future.

This article is a good sign http://www.uasmagazine.com/articles/1050/faa-approves-massive-round-of-uas-exemptions

If you follow a successful application closely, I don't see how they can deny another just like it. Eventually they will come up with a shorter easier process -- similar to FAA COA blanket authorization. Drone market is moving too fast. In the meantime and as always, safety and compliance with existing laws and mandates is paramount for all of us.

Hasn't anyone simply made a PDF which can be distributed?

Reactions: TroyCutchens
When I go to this link
http://www.faa.gov/uas/legislative_programs/section_333/how_to_file_a_petition
The directions say there should be #1 name, #2 comment, #3 upload files. I do not get this on my screen. On my screen the #1 is comments. Do I actually put my petition information in the comments even though there is not a #1 to enter my name and info?
what I did is put all my contact info in the comments section and that I was petitioning for exemption, then put all my contact info in again in the fields below the comment section. Anything government-related is always such a confusing mess, it's never just straightforward. It's been 3 weeks and I can't even get confirmation that my request has been received.

Reactions: Drone Diva
Is pursuing an exemption completely necessary? I realize you have to determine that yourself such as the example below that states if you happen to have a client that insists on the exemption but beyond that why else?

http://dronelawjournal.com/

Section 333 Exemptions.

According the FAA, those who wish to fly a drone commercially and legally right now, must petition for and be granted a Section 333 Exemption. If such a petition is granted, an operator may fly their drone commercially. Although it is true that holding an Exemption will permit a drone operator to fly commercially, the requirements and restrictions having one entails, coupled with the fact that the FAA has never brought an enforcement action against any drone operator for commercial use and it own guidance indicates that it should not, there is little incentive to seek an Exemption. One reason one might want an Exemption is if they are dealing with potential clients who insist on hiring Exemption holders only. Other than that, it is far less expensive and far less restrictive to simply fly each commercial flight in the same manner as any non-commercial flight— safely and responsibly.

Is pursuing an exemption completely necessary? I realize you have to determine that yourself such as the example below that states if you happen to have a client that insists on the exemption but beyond that why else?

Section 333 Exemptions.

According the FAA, those who wish to fly a drone commercially and legally right now, must petition for and be granted a Section 333 Exemption. If such a petition is granted, an operator may fly their drone commercially. Although it is true that holding an Exemption will permit a drone operator to fly commercially, the requirements and restrictions having one entails, coupled with the fact that the FAA has never brought an enforcement action against any drone operator for commercial use and it own guidance indicates that it should not, there is little incentive to seek an Exemption. One reason one might want an Exemption is if they are dealing with potential clients who insist on hiring Exemption holders only. Other than that, it is far less expensive and far less restrictive to simply fly each commercial flight in the same manner as any non-commercial flight— safely and responsibly.

it's like someone was saying (MapMaker I think) the FAA really has no way to enforce people making money using their drones. The problem is for example in my case I mainly want to use it for real estate photography. According to one of the realtors I've been talking with the FAA issued a statement through the National Assc of Realtors warning them NOT to use drones until the rules are finalized. So that's going to scare off a lot of them.

Section 333 Exemptions.

That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.

it's like someone was saying (MapMaker I think) the FAA really has no way to enforce people making money using their drones. The problem is for example in my case I mainly want to use it for real estate photography. According to one of the realtors I've been talking with the FAA issued a statement through the National Assc of Realtors warning them NOT to use drones until the rules are finalized. So that's going to scare off a lot of them.

I've heard the exact same thing and wanted to pursue the same services in my area. I wonder how long before these new rules are finalized.

That dronelawjournal article is a long and interesting read. Particularly interesting is the part entitled “The FAA's current enforcement of its claimed prohibitions”. Also the last section "State and local government drone law". I'm generally not a law breaker, as my family is in law enforcement. I just want the laws to be based on some degree of common sense.

Reactions: Drone Diva

Section 333 Exemptions.

Section 333 Exemptions.

Thanks for sharing the links. I don't have anybody that is asking for an exemption. I just thought I needed to get one to take my flying to the next level.

If I read correctly you earlier mentioned you were a commercial pilot. Are you in the airlines and is this your career? The gentleman in the video was also a commercial pilot, but clearly it was not his career. Both of you have indicated potentially losing certificates or getting violated for misuse. What can you tell me about the danger of this? Additionally, if I fly it as a hobbyist am I putting my certificate at risk?
I agree! After watching the video I feel sorry for anyone holding a PPL and the risk they are taking.

Got my 333 last week. Now I need a Sport, Rec or Private Pilot's License & get a N-Number for my Phantom & I am all set. Either that or I just wait till the NPRM gets finalized in the next one to two years.

Reactions: BigAl07
Got my 333 last week. Now I need a Sport, Rec or Private Pilot's License & get a N-Number for my Phantom & I am all set. Either that or I just wait till the NPRM gets finalized in the next one to two years.
That's cool! So you didn't already have a PPL and they gave it to you. How long did you have to wait? I just applied, lets hope for good things. :)

MapMaker53, that requirement will always be there thanks to a US law that requires an airman certificate to fly an aircraft commercially. And, I don't think the US is going to back out of their conclusion that a Phantom is an aircraft.

The good news is that the FAA is allowed to choose which airman certificate is appropriate. Unfortunately for us, they are a bit slow at getting anything done (or so it seems from the outside). They are working on new rules for SUAS. And, a new SUAS airman certificate is supposed to be created along with those new rules. It is only supposed to require a written test to be taken every two years.

But, at the present time, you must have a private pilot certificate and an exemption.

I believe an FAA aeronautical rating will be the final outcome (in a few years?) once the feds realize no UAV outfit is going to go through the expense of achieving a PP rating just to fly a "drone." With a written test requirement (ground school).

Filing for this exemption was not very difficult. I made a mistake the first time and it got rejected but the second time I did it it was approved in about 2 months. To be honest I just took a petition that was already granted and changed some wording, my info, etc .

Filing for this exemption was not very difficult. I made a mistake the first time and it got rejected but the second time I did it it was approved in about 2 months. To be honest I just took a petition that was already granted and changed some wording, my info, etc .
That's almost the most common way of doing it now. I believe even most "law firms" have been doing this once they got their first one approved it became "Copy & Paste".

Congrats on getting yours. You got in while things were good. They are now pushing the 120 estimate and passing it often.

Ouch! 600 for something you can do online in 15 minutes. Someone's making out.

So glad I went with these guys. Not only did I get it done right the first time I avoided pulling out all my hair during the process.
Is that your business?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic