Petitioning for Exemption under Section 333

Drone Diva, you do not need a company -- but, you do need to be able to follow instructions and understand how to fill out the paperwork. The exact steps are listed here:

http://www.faa.gov/uas/legislative_programs/section_333/how_to_file_a_petition

Step #3 discusses submitting the petition.

While you do not need a private pilot license to get an exemption, you will need it to fly commercially. You can find more information about obtaining a private pilot license on the FAA's website. It involves flying a real airplane and will probably cost around $10,000.

Oh, ok. Thank you for you advice. Happy flying :)

We don't know what the FAA is going to require in the future. The new SUAS rules are just proposed rules right now. And, the FAA has not indicated when those rules will be approved.

There is no safety class in the proposed rules for SUAS. I realize you're just going through some thoughts in your head -- but, you really don't have to since the rules I'm talking about were publicly posted on the FAA's website. Head over there if you want the actual scoop.

Pilots who have a current airman certificate are at greater danger than those who are only going to have the proposed SUAS certificate. The FAA can revoke a manned aircraft airman certificate at anytime. Yep, even for doing something stupid with a little remote controlled Phantom.

(I'm speaking from experience. I have an exemption.)

So, As an airline pilot I can have my certificate revoked for flying a phantom? What exactly are the current rules regarding this? Before being a pilot I was a photographer, and my old photography clients as well as new ones are requesting I provide them aerial photography services with a drone. Real estate, big box retail, etc.... I don't want my photography career to put my airline career at risk, so what do you know and what do you suggest?

cyclepilot, check out this video:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Gail S
The FAA has approved exemptions that use both of those airman certificates. So, while there is no advantage to having one over the other, you will need at least one of them.

thanks msinger. I do not see any huge obstacle, other than the waiting period. Do you have the exemption? How long did it take? Would you be up for a phone call?

cyclepilot, I do have an exemption (#42). It took the FAA 4 months to approve it after I submitted my petition. There also is some other paperwork to complete in order to register your Phantom, get an N number, and bill of sale.That can be done while you're waiting for your petition to be approved.

While I'm not able to advise you personally, I'd be happy to answer any questions here. That way, others will be able to benefit too.

newbie here - I've been watching this thread for a bit now... and was curious if I could get clarity on the PPL requirement.

Apparently one can get a recreation, sport or full commercial (is this the right terminology?) PPL. Which one is currently the minimum required to fly UAS commercially? Any other notes on this particular aspect?

These are the most common airman certificates:
https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/interactive_airmen_inquiry

I've only seen one exemption that was approved with a sport pilot license (since it was requested by the submitter). All others were approved with a private pilot license. The FAA is fairly consistent -- so, I think it's unlikely that you'll be able to get an approval with anything below a sport/private pilot license. You can certainly ask for anything you want in your petition though.

Further thoughts... on?

Is there some reason I'm not thinking of that would deter me from acquiring a less than a full PPL?

It's depends what kind of manned aircraft you want to fly. If you're only interested in flying a Phantom, then a private pilot license would be overkill.

If I read correctly you earlier mentioned you were a commercial pilot. Are you in the airlines and is this your career? The gentleman in the video was also a commercial pilot, but clearly it was not his career. Both of you have indicated potentially losing certificates or getting violated for misuse. What can you tell me about the danger of this? Additionally, if I fly it as a hobbyist am I putting my certificate at risk?

I am preparing my application right now and have been looking into this for a few weeks. I do have a PPL. Here are some other links that have been helpful:

http://www.faa.gov/uas/legislative_programs/section_333/333_authorizations/ list of all exemptions that have been authorized to date

http://dronelawsblog.com/section-333-petitions-antonelli-law/ some examples of petitions filed by this law firm. While I would never pay someone, the examples are helpful. But not sure how legal one needs to get to be successful in process.

If a pilot in Canada has a Special Flight Operating Certificate to operate a drone commercially, will it be honored by the FAA if he flies in the U.S.? Pilot's licenses are honored across borders around the world. How will the FAA handle commercial drone pilots from other countries?

If I read correctly you earlier mentioned you were a commercial pilot. Are you in the airlines and is this your career? The gentleman in the video was also a commercial pilot, but clearly it was not his career. Both of you have indicated potentially losing certificates or getting violated for misuse. What can you tell me about the danger of this? Additionally, if I fly it as a hobbyist am I putting my certificate at risk?

I would say if hobbyist is not endangering public safety or violating laws, there is no risk. But I can imagine FAA could revoke your certificate if you get involved in an incident that comes to FAA's attention and is serious enough. I see several folks complaining about geofencing enforced by DJI applications. That's a good thing.

If a pilot in Canada has a Special Flight Operating Certificate to operate a drone commercially, will it be honored by the FAA if he flies in the U.S.? Pilot's licenses are honored across borders around the world. How will the FAA handle commercial drone pilots from other countries?

Have not seen anything (rules) related to foreign licensed drone pilots coming to the US. I know Section 333 petition application they ask whether you plan to fly outside of the US. Not sure of all the implications. I am still learning.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers