Pay or not

Reaction score
I’m just curious how many of you would say that paying for one of these online study guides is necessary for first timers taking the part 107 test in order to pass, or would most of you say there is enough free info online to get what you need to pass?

I would absolutely say that the FAA study guide provides enough material to pass the test, but only for some study types. It's a decent read with a TON of information. Not everyone can simply learn by just reading. Some like to see the examples or have the animated, or explained by a narrator. What type of learner are you? If reading is all you need and you have a general understanding of aviation then you'll be ok. If not, then it's worth the money to have a better assisted study experience. It's also nice to have endless practice test/questions. This is a choice you need to make, but I'd suggest spending the money to ensure you pass on the first try. Best of luck pilot.

would most of you say there is enough free info online to get what you need to pass?
I see many people mention they've passed by using these free resources:
You can find other free study resources here.

I also see a lot of people recommending the paid courses. Like most online courses, they likely contain information you can find yourself online if you have the time to spare, the knowhow to determine if the information you find is accurate, and the confidence that your research will provide you with all of the information you need. A paid course might be the better option if you want to learn the material as quickly as possible. And if you choose one of the courses that come with lifetime access, you'll be able to have an updated resource at your fingertips when you're ready to study for the next test.

Last edited:
I would recommend you get one. They divide the learning process by steps and focus on a single topic each step. It will make learning easier and you will get a higher chance of passing the test.

It all depends which way is easier for you to study. Some prefer old reading and memorizing. Some need visual stimulation. Find what works for you personally.

It's a function of you and your environment and experiences.

Back story: I have had a Part 61 CFI and AGI for 30+ years. Most of my students are engineers, technicians and scientists. Almost all of them have studied from a review book, one or two general texts, and the FAA material. I spent some time tutoring them, but for most of them, it was very minimal.

Today the sUAS study materials are better than some of the older test prep books that my students bought. I seldom help anyone with a UAS issue, but if I were I would be telling most people to just use the freebie materials out there. Most of the free youtubes are OK, and most are correct.

If you are uncertain, you might find a study buddy.

However, if you tend to need coaching while you are learning, and you tend to be frustrated by researching out answers when you are stumped, then the cost of a course is likely well spent in that you will be less frustrated.

If additionally, you tend to not test well, considering the cost of the test at $150, then paying for a course reduces your retake risk, and I would suggest that.

In summary, if you are good at independent work, or have a study buddy or other resource, then you can readily do things for free. If not, you may boost your confidence and your chance of a first pass by buying a course (~$150).

If you know nothing about the field, and you have to get the 107 certificate quickly, and you have good funding, then sign up for an in person course which gets you classmates and an instructor and has a goal of completing your training in a couple of days.

Reactions: BigAl07
While all of the information is available free on line the hard part is sifting through what you need to know versus all there is to know. If you have zero background in aviation I'd say go with a paid course that will present the information in a systematic fashion that is going to be the easiest to digest. If you have some background (formal training, ratings) then you probably only need a refresher on things like charts, aviation weather, etc. and the particulars on UAV.

Very well said @mongobird

I'd like to add, if you want a professional course and you want one that changes are the rules/regs change then I highly suggest you look into Gold Seal. I use and suggest my students use their course almost on a daily basis. Also they have a MONEY BACK GUARANTEE and offer a discount to forum members.

Gold Seal UAV Groundschool

I’m just curious how many of you would say that paying for one of these online study guides is necessary for first timers taking the part 107 test in order to pass, or would most of you say there is enough free info online to get what you need to pass?

The problem with all the free stuff is not everything is right and things in this industry are changing constantly , best to get an up to date organized course.
\
Approved Vendor
Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in and out of the storm

There are many free online courses out there. I used those and you tube videos also. Passed first time. I did take sample tests several times till I got them correct. In short I only paid for the test!

Reactions: cneedelman
Gleim which has been teaching pilots for 50 years has an online course for $59.00
It teaches you the FAA questions and answers and provides FAA practice tests. I was a crappy student in college. Never good at taking test. I used this course un interrupted 3 hours per day for 4 days. Took my FAA test on day 5 and got a 98
I teach for two CA universities and use this course as our class study guide for students. I’ve trained 200 students this year and have a 100% pass rate. If you are going to spend $150 taking the test. What’s another $60 to pass it. By the way as an instructor I signed up and took 6 online course including the free ones. This was the best.

I didn’t take a formal course, watched some YouTube videos and bought a book on amazon remote pilot 2019. The book on amazon gave you 5 practice tests online which I aced. I took my 107 test and was surprised by all the questions I had never come across. I still passed the 107 but there were a lot of weather questions I hadn’t seen before. So basically it’s up to you. I chose not to spend the extra coin and I passed, but it does bother me that I only got a 82%. However, on the other hand, I don’t fly in the rain, don’t care about weather inversions lol. Basically up to you.

As others have said it depends on your style of learning. The book for sale on amazon, youtube videos and an app on my android were enough to get me through. I did as well on the test as I did with the quizzes on the app, it was a good indicator.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20