P4Pro+V2.0 uncommanded climb

Reaction score
First flight yesterday. Updated firmware to 01.00.01.00 and 01.00.1500.
Started P4P+v2 with beginner mode (default I believe) Flew fine, still photo ok, video ok but sometimes jerky. got warning of 2.4 interference. Seemed to fly ok then began uncommanded vertical climb which could not be arrested with down stick. Tried multiple times then went to RTH Mode. Began to descend and was able to land normally.
Did this a couple of times in the flight. Terminated and downloaded log files. Uploaded log files to link, and viewed them. Showed 85' max height then RTH enabled. No other remarks I could see.
Looked around the site but could not find other similar issues. Want to correct before next flight. Will at least try compass cal, although it appeared to respond normally and the problem was not in x/y axes... Any help pointing me in the right direction is appreciated.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2018-09-08_[09-08-30].txt
    1.9 MB · Views: 266
Any help pointing me in the right direction is appreciated.
Looking at your data, it appears to be your throttle is sticking. By sticking I mean like something interfering with the movements internally to the RC, or possibly an RC cal could help. I have seen this happen before, but only once and the throttle stuck full up.

Capture.PNG

Reactions: air_lauder
Thank you. Sounds like you are talking about the component that digitizes the analog stick movement for the "throttle". Appreciate the input. You mentioned you had seen this in only one other instance. Can you tell me if the RC Cal I assume was done eliminated the problem completely?. Guess what I am looking at is: what are my options. To me if the data (I only knew how to see the flight track and spreadsheet of altitude speed, etc) shows the throttle signal as increasing during the climb, even though I had the stick in the down position, then I need to send the unit back. As I think I said, this was my first flight of a brand new and newly activated unit. (Sorry, but I cannot read the legend on the chart. but I am looking forward to understanding how to view this data to solve future problems)
Still, I am impressed by the log if it does give this kind of data...

To me if the data (I only knew how to see the flight track and spreadsheet of altitude speed, etc) shows the throttle signal as increasing during the climb, even though I had the stick in the down position,
If you look at the graph above, in red is your altitude in meters.In green are your RC inputs to the aircraft. The center line for the throttle is zero input. As the green line goes up, you are increasing throttle, down is decreasing. It appears at times it followed your inputs. Other times are "choppy" but it is sometimes hard to tell if these are actual very quick inputs of short duration, or simply "Noise" from the sticks as they are moved one way or the other. And yes, the logs provide very useful data. The aircraft itself also has a data "black box" for lack of another term that has even more data than the device logs provide. And no on the other question with the full throttle stick. The aircraft was lost due to that.

Looking at your data, it appears to be your throttle is sticking. By sticking I mean like something interfering with the movements internally to the RC, or possibly an RC cal could help. I have seen this happen before, but only once and the throttle stuck full up.

View attachment 103311
OK, so at 646 I see the throttle is at zero deflection and the altitude increases sharply... This would clearly be an ucommanded climb. Also, not sure what the blue vertical column at about 800 seconds is. think it may correspond to my RTH initiation...
Seems the best course of action is to contact DJI for repair...

Also, not sure what the blue vertical column at about 800 seconds is. think it may correspond to my RTH initiation...
Correct, that is the Go Home reference. However, you were too close to the home point so auto land initiated. Below is a better zoomed in view of the last 100 seconds.

Capture2.PNG

Again, thanks, Your input is extremely informative. Really my risk analysis is not to fly until I get this resolved...Dawggonnit… and BTW I graduated from high school in Dahlonega, GA

First flight yesterday. Updated firmware to 01.00.01.00 and 01.00.1500.
Started P4P+v2 with beginner mode (default I believe) Flew fine, still photo ok, video ok but sometimes jerky. got warning of 2.4 interference. Seemed to fly ok then began uncommanded vertical climb which could not be arrested with down stick. Tried multiple times then went to RTH Mode. Began to descend and was able to land normally.
Did this a couple of times in the flight. Terminated and downloaded log files. Uploaded log files to link, and viewed them. Showed 85' max height then RTH enabled. No other remarks I could see.
Looked around the site but could not find other similar issues. Want to correct before next flight. Will at least try compass cal, although it appeared to respond normally and the problem was not in x/y axes... Any help pointing me in the right direction is appreciated.
Again, thanks, Your input is extremely informative. Really my risk analysis is not to fly until I get this resolved...Dawggonnit… and BTW I graduated from high school in Dahlonega, GA
I'm having similar problems. My new P4P V2 while in Beginner Mode and set at 40 meters RTH Altitude. It ascended out of sight and failed to respond to down stick. Finally I used RTH and it came down hard. Destroyed it.

Sorry to hear that Cobraray. As Fly Dawg said the log shows the throttle in zero with a sharp climb. I will contact support when they open this morning...Just like you, it started up and there was nothing I could do...glad I read the RTH stuff, but I was able to get control and land it myself. Will post the resolution, and would appreciate any info you get... Thanks

Reactions: Cobraray
Sorry to hear that Cobraray. As Fly Dawg said the log shows the throttle in zero with a sharp climb. I will contact support when they open this morning...Just like you, it started up and there was nothing I could do...glad I read the RTH stuff, but I was able to get control and land it myself. Will post the resolution, and would appreciate any info you get... Thanks
I'm mailing My V2 in as soon as I get the shipping label from DJI Support today. I have another P4P coming in today from repairs. It had a bad motor . Still new. The motors are cheap $18. It was covered under warranty. I'm a bit weary about Flying them any more. I returned two P4Ps that did the same thing. .have you ever got a on screen warning about "Are you sure you want to switch to Atti mode"? I was in flight when that happens. Thanks for Your Help.

Well, I spoke to DJI tech support this morning. So far it has not been very helpful, but they say someone will call back tomorrow. Not sure they understood the problem. I will have to try to do a better job of laying out the loss of control setting.
Have not gotten the Atti mode warning, but have very limited experience with this system. Will update after tomorrow's contact. Hope it will be worthwhile.

Well, I spoke to DJI tech support this morning. So far it has not been very helpful, but they say someone will call back tomorrow. Not sure they understood the problem. I will have to try to do a better job of laying out the loss of control setting.
Have not gotten the Atti mode warning, but have very limited experience with this system. Will update after tomorrow's contact. Hope it will be worthwhile.

Status so far.
Talked to DJI, they called back with a little better understanding of the problem. Still their recommendations were to recalibrate the controller, IMU and compass if it is highlighted on the status page. I did these and will fly today and let you know...I did the controller and IMU. The compass looks good (I have a rudimentary compass rose setup where I calibrate the IMU and the compass is accurate to that).

Status so far.
Talked to DJI, they called back with a little better understanding of the problem. Still their recommendations were to recalibrate the controller, IMU and compass if it is highlighted on the status page. I did these and will fly today and let you know...I did the controller and IMU. The compass looks good (I have a rudimentary compass rose setup where I calibrate the IMU and the compass is accurate to that).

So did the flight go okay? I'm curious because this exact thing happened to me in beginner mode the two times I flew. Much like you, I had to switch to ATT mode to bring her down. It was very unnerving.

I live in Tucker, GA by the way.

Go Dawgs!

OK, sorry for the delay. Did get to fly one flight, but its been raining continuously. Also had to get my recurrent sUAS exam completed.
First, did the controller, and IMU calibrate. Also the Joysticks, with nothing unusual on them all. IMU did show smaller errors than before calibration. Compass looked good with no calibrate. Flew very close-in flight in beginner mode with nothing unusual.
Still raining, but will update over the next few flights...
Thanks for the help

Was mentioned briefly... but, as you said it was new... did you ever calibrate the controller joysticks?
Sorry, took a while to get back but yes I did calibrate the joysticks. Was curious if I would see anything on the throttle, but did not see anything that looked out of place... thanks

My 4Pro V2.0 did its second uncommanded climb today. The first was last month and I waited for the new firmware that just came out for phantom and remote. Experienced the 2d uncommaned climb, at a different location, and very similar to first. I guess I will have to return it to DJI for repair, just hate doing that for an expensive drone. I’ve been building my own for years, all type of controllers, and never had one do this.
Would really like to have the program that outputs those graphs, the ones Fly Dawg attaches. I will follow this posting to see any results.

My V2 keeps trying to fly away And what I have to do to stopit is before it gets to high is move control sticks to make it fly forward and back then left and right ,as I do this it responds to those movements and I can bring it down. My settings were for Beginner and I figured that would be safe but it's not. I have 2 P4Ps and both have had some problems. I keep spending $$$$ for repairs. I'm learning how to use My Data information because they don't seem to believe me when I told them. I also purchased AIRDATA.com and I'm learning how to use it. Good luck to you.

I'm learning how to use My Data information because they don't seem to believe me when I told them. I also purchased AIRDATA.com and I'm learning how to use it.
Airdata is good for overviews and in general viewing, but you need to see the RAW data. There are many more data points that AIrdata does not cover comprehensively. Also, if you notice in the graph above in Post #6, the spikes in the throttle inputs. These should be smooth and not jumpy. IMO, there is an issue on some of the V2 RC's. I have seen this before, and only on the V2's. Stuck throttle's on the P4 series in general as well, all versions. This is just for informational purposes and not diagnostical. But the data does show an issue of some sort.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20