P4p Won’t Take off, Class B Airspace

Reaction score
I was trying to get a shot of a house, not going up more than 20ft. Go4 says I’m in Class B airspace and won’t let me take off. I know I’m more than 5 Miles from Philly International, but apparently the airspace around the airport is no longer a 5 Mi circle. Just wondering how LAANC would have unlocked GO4 so that I could take off? I didn’t get any option to take responsibility and be able to take off.
Go4 4.1.18
Aircraft 1.04.0602
RC 1.04.01.00

LAANC is only for Part 107 operators. It requires that you enter one's certificate number.

I was trying to get a shot of a house, not going up more than 20ft. Go4 says I’m in Class B airspace and won’t let me take off. I know I’m more than 5 Miles from Philly International, but apparently the airspace around the airport is no longer a 5 Mi circle. Just wondering how LAANC would have unlocked GO4 so that I could take off? I didn’t get any option to take responsibility and be able to take off.
Go4 4.1.18
Aircraft 1.04.0602
RC 1.04.01.00
Just curious is you got p4pv2,,,I got this email today about,,,if you are might pay to have search,,,if not v2 disregard this post
Screenshot_20181207-140938.jpg

I don't think LAANC unlocks anything on any drone. The FAA simply is giving you permission to fly. The unlocking I think would be a DJI issue and I have no experience in having to unlock airspace yet with my P4P.

Well here is what I did. Turned off AC, put RC in ATTI, turn on AC with my hand blocking GPS antenna, wait for IMU to be ready, take off & quickly get the shot as I get a warning dialogue box saying the AC will land in :20 and it counts down, I land

I was in a Class B area recently and I got message that I could not take off. So, then I tried to start the motors, a new pop up comes along asking me to check a box stating that I will be responsible for my actions and then I had to enter my phone number. I did, then it issues a 'certificate' and unlocked my drone. I flew only treetop high, got my pictures then packed up and left.

I was in a Class B area recently and I got message that I could not take off. So, then I tried to start the motors, a new pop up comes along asking me to check a box stating that I will be responsible for my actions and then I had to enter my phone number. I did, then it issues a 'certificate' and unlocked my drone. I flew only treetop high, got my pictures then packed up and left.

I’ve gotten that before also, I don’t understand why I didn’t get it this time. These are paying jobs for me, I can’t afford to be grounded by software.

So you flew "Commercially" in Class BRAVO w/o Authorization? Tsk Tsk Tsk . . . I don't think I'd put that online if that's the case.

Reactions: PhantomWetSuits
I was over 6 Miles from the airport and thought I was OK to fly 18’ AGL

As a Part 107 operation you should know that distance from the airport matters NOT! You fly according to the airspace your aircraft is operating in (airspace starts the moment your sUAS leaves Terra Firma). Only hobby rules (and possibly only those for a short period of time more) even mention distance from an airport. You're legally required to follow Part 107 rules for commercial operations and those do no include any distance references so in essence it's possible you busted the FARs even though "only a little bit". Keep in mind if there had been an incident and NTSB/FAA intervention it's not "only a little bit" when they issue the fines. You are either following the rules or you're not.

With that being said, it's possible that your altitude was not actually IN Class BRAVO airspace unless it was BRAVO to the surface. You and a sectional map will have to spend some time together to determine that but that's something you need to know how to find/determine going forward.

In regards to "ok to fly 18' AGL" that's not going to cut it as an aviator and even less so as a professional aviator. Aviation rules aren't based on gut feelings etc but on hard numbers. While I can see where "flying only at 18' AGL" would seems safe keep in mind you're flying in (presumably by your own statement) class BRAVO ( its only the Busiest airspace on the planet) airspace, What happens if you have an equipment/procedure malfunction (Loss of Signal, GPS Error etc) and the aircraft suddenly flies in an attitude, altitude, or direction you are not planning/prepared for? What if RTH kicks in and the aircraft ascends to the pre-programmed RTH height. Do you know what your RTH height is? Is this new altitude going to pose any problems for aircraft that are operating (and have no idea you're there) in Class BRAVO airspace?

In aviation we follows rules etc that have long been established and anytime we are not sure of our situation we default to the most extreme case of operating with caution. If we aren't all following the same rules we are all in danger across the board. We should always be flying with the thought/preparations for that "What if XYZ happened right now?" in mind. Assuming that your flight at "just 18' AGL" seems logical but from a Risk standpoint not so much.

I don't mean to be a hard butt or mean but we all need to operate with an elevated level of safety and awareness if we are going to be operating our sUAS in the National Airspace System.

I strongly agree with that part of this reply “in aviation we follow rules that have been long stablished...” it’s true and solid as a rock statement. I hold other FAA certifications besides Part 107, and I certainly can attest that navigating rules and regulations in aviation is one of the most challenging parts of the privilege of being certified. Our fellow pilot shouldn’t have tampered the system under ANY circumstance, even under the pressure of commercial responsibility. Ideally a better course of action would have been to do a full research of the area and full pre flight. We are all here in this forum to learn and help each other, I would like to recommend for future operations within questionable air space the use of the FAA website faa.maps.arcgis.com/app VISUALIZE IT: SEE FAA UAS DATA ON A MAP. Cross check your planed operation area between this website and whatever UAS flight planner you use. Let me tell you, I use AirMap but the accuracy of the FAA UAS data on a map website is what I go for, AirMap just help me to get my authorization done, but I prefer the FAA website for preflight planning. Good luck!

I strongly agree with that part of this reply “in aviation we follow rules that have been long stablished...” it’s true and solid as a rock statement. I hold other FAA certifications besides Part 107, and I certainly can attest that navigating rules and regulations in aviation is one of the most challenging parts of the privilege of being certified. Our fellow pilot shouldn’t have tampered the system under ANY circumstance, even under the pressure of commercial responsibility. Ideally a better course of action would have been to do a full research of the area and full pre flight. We are all here in this forum to learn and help each other, I would like to recommend for future operations within questionable air space the use of the FAA website faa.maps.arcgis.com/app VISUALIZE IT: SEE FAA UAS DATA ON A MAP. Cross check your planed operation area between this website and whatever UAS flight planner you use. Let me tell you, I use AirMap but the accuracy of the FAA UAS data on a map website is what I go for, AirMap just help me to get my authorization done, but I prefer the FAA website for preflight planning. Good luck!
The website you referenced does not look like an FAA website. Looks like esri but I can't tell for sure because it is asking me to sign in to my account. And it gives no option to sign up for an account. Would like to see these maps but no clue how to do it - please help.

The website you referenced does not look like an FAA website. Looks like esri but I can't tell for sure because it is asking me to sign in to my account. And it gives no option to sign up for an account. Would like to see these maps but no clue how to do it - please help.

I copied and pasted the URL here. Try this:

ArcGIS Web Application

If this doesn't work either, go to the UAS portion of the FAA website, and go to the submenu for "learn where to fly" and there is a link in there that says "interactive Map" or something like that. Please let me know if it helps.

Reactions: KCadby
I copied and pasted the URL here. Try this:

ArcGIS Web Application

If this doesn't work either, go to the UAS portion of the FAA website, and go to the submenu for "learn where to fly" and there is a link in there that says "interactive Map" or something like that. Please let me know if it helps.
Last year I started shooting for a company that does school websites. Some were on Chicago’s south side- within Midway Airport’s Airspace.
I’d been advised by an FAA guy who actually did Authorizations to use the ARCGIS site to see if I was in an area that needed Authorizations and then what height was allowed at that location.
Invaluable!

Reactions: LARA images

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers