P4P vs Mavic2 panning

Reaction score
I own a P4PV1 and M2Z. There are some advantages I have with the P4P which I'm passionate about (4K@60FPS, no altitude ceiling limit to climb high mountains), however I have grown to appreciate one aspect of the M2 that makes it my goto craft to make videos. I'd like to share this issue and get your input.

My M2Z is what I fly the most because of this superior handling to my P4P. However my P4P produces better quality 4K video, obviously with the superior sensor. My M2 is the zoom model, but I'm sure the M2P has the same superior handling behavior over the P4P. What I'm talking about is SMOOTH PANNING. When I pan slowly with the Mavic2 it works great, it's smooth and consistent. It doesn't slow down or speed up if I hold the stick steady for left or right pans. However with my P4P this is not the case. Holding the stick steady results in slowing and accelerating of the pan speed, very inconsistent, which looks unprofessional. I'm puzzled why one craft works great and the other doesn't.

There is one other anomaly with P4P pans. Sometimes when I pan left, it will initially, ever so slightly, pan right before it starts the pan to the left. This is really weird. The M2 never does this.

I'm thinking maybe the physical attributes of the P4P may be the issue, with the landing gear hanging down so far. Maybe the wind blows the landing gear, causing these inconsistencies.

Questions:
1. Has anyone else noticed this panning anomaly with your P4PV1?
2. Does anyone have another theory why the P4P is inferior to the M2 for panning? I'm wondering if OcuSync2 could be the explanation for better panning consistency.
3, Does the P4PV2 exhibit the same inconsistent panning behavior as I have explained for the V1?

Last edited:
I own a P4PV1 and M2Z. There are some advantages I have with the P4P which I'm passionate about (4K@60FPS, no altitude ceiling limit to climb high mountains), however I have grown to appreciate one aspect of the M2 that makes it my goto craft to make videos. I'd like to share this issue and get your input.

My M2Z is what I fly the most because of this superior handling to my P4P. However my P4P produces better quality 4K video, obviously with the superior sensor. My M2 is the zoom model, but I'm sure the M2P has the same superior handling behavior over the P4P. What I'm talking about his SMOOTH PANNING. When I pan slowly with the Mavic2 it works great, it's smooth and consistent. It doesn't slow down or speed up if I hold the stick steady for left or right pans. However with my P4P this is not the case. Holding the stick steady results in slowing and accelerating of the pan speed, very inconsistent, which looks unprofessional. I'm puzzled why one craft works great and the other doesn't.

There is one other anomaly with P4P pans. Sometimes when I pan left, it will initially, ever so slightly, pan right before it starts the pan to the left. This is really weird. The M2 never does this.

I'm thinking maybe the physical attributes of the P4P may be the issue, with the landing gear hanging down so far. Maybe the wind blows the landing gear, causing these inconsistencies.

Questions:
2. Does anyone have another theory why the P4P is inferior to the M2 for panning? I'm wondering if OcuSync2 could be the explanation for better panning consistency.
3, Does the P4PV2 exhibit the same inconsistent panning behavior as I have explained for the V1?
To answer your question, I have not, yet. But, If you are a Litchi user, you can setup a smooth Pan that will run autonomously. Are you a Litchi user?

I have noticed what you describe with the V1.
I‘ll have get the V2 out and check.
I‘m leaning towards a possible speed controller and the programming for them as the difference between the phantom verses the mavic.

V 2.0 here. The panning is horrible no matter how experienced I get. I've resorted to physical stops on the controller to limit and steady the stick movement.

Reactions: Capt KO
Flat profile of the Mavic over box shape of Phantom? Physically it would seem a lot smoother to operate in a pan. Other Mavics similar that way?

V 2.0 here. The panning is horrible no matter how experienced I get. I've resorted to physical stops on the controller to limit and steady the stick movement.
Quick question, did you purchased the aftermarket wire stops for the sticks? Thought about them but?

My M2Z is what I fly the most because of this superior handling to my P4P. However my P4P produces better quality 4K video, obviously with the superior sensor. My M2 is the zoom model, but I'm sure the M2P has the same superior handling behavior over the P4P. What I'm talking about his SMOOTH PANNING. When I pan slowly with the Mavic2 it works great, it's smooth and consistent. It doesn't slow down or speed up if I hold the stick steady for left or right pans. However with my P4P this is not the case. Holding the stick steady results in slowing and accelerating of the pan speed, very inconsistent, which looks unprofessional. I'm puzzled why one craft works great and the other doesn't.

Questions:
Try Tripod mode, workS
Like a charm
On my pvp4pro, very smooth panning

Flat profile of the Mavic over box shape of Phantom? Physically it would seem a lot smoother to operate in a pan. Other Mavics similar that way?
I had the original Mavic Pro and noticed it panned at a consistent rate, which is why I was thinking it's a physical size/shape issue. But not sure. Since my current M2Z has good panning behavior also, it has improved my video quality, which makes it my goto craft. However my P4P is good at other things that an M2 cannot do, as mentioned. I'm curious if the P4P V2 has this same panning inconsistency anomaly.

In windy conditions, I also noticed the P4P V1 acting weird when going straight at 20 to 30mph. When I move left stick slightly left to make a gradual left turn, the craft initially turns slightly right! As I push the stick more the left it will then turn left. Same thing happens when I gradually turn right, it goes left slightly, then turns right. It's the oddest thing that never happened with my P3P. However I only notice this in windy conditions.

Interestinglly, don't recall this happening with my P4. I may have to dust off my P4 someday and fly it to compare to my P4P for this panning anomaly.

Reactions: Capt KO
Tripod mode? Gimbal speed adjustments no help?
Good reason to keep both. You're lucky

That's good input. Your craft uses OcuSync2. My P4P V1 uses Lightbridge. There very well could be some advances in the flight controller of OcuSync2 that may account for an improvement of the panning consistency that I'm complaining about. I'll have to look into that further. Thx!

What about when you're not using tripod mode? Have you noticed if the craft pan at a consistent rate when holding the stick steady?

Last edited:
I just wondered if you have "synchronised gimbal pan follow" enabled it can be turned on or off in the gimbal advanced settings... this may be your problem

I don't think this is a big science about this. I have P4P+V1 and it do pannings extremly well. No quick or undesirable movments, perfectly sensitive to the stick. Of course it need to be adjusted for rotation movements to your needs. I like to have it as slow and smoothe as possible.
I can say that I have panning problems with my Mavic Air but this is obviously a different kind of Mavic then the big one.
Your Phantom is just not perfect and need to be repaired.

I don't think this is a big science about this. I have P4P+V1 and it do pannings extremly well. No quick or undesirable movments, perfectly sensitive to the stick. Of course it need to be adjusted for rotation movements to your needs. I like to have it as slow and smoothe as possible.
I can say that I have panning problems with my Mavic Air but this is obviously a different kind of Mavic then the big one.
Your Phantom is just not perfect and need to be repaired.
Yes, I'm thinking something might be wrong with the hardware too, that's why I'm asking others.

I have another P4P backup that I haven't flown much. I'll have to dust it off and see how it behaves. That will help confirm things.

The problem is this is a subtle problem, hard to duplicate consistently. Sometimes it works fine, other times it doesn't. That's why I was thinking it could be wind related, however the M2Z doesn't do this at all, including in windy conditions.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers