P4P+ remote - THIRD PARTY APPS. Big news out today!!

You made me second guess myself for a few minutes

Invaluable- "extremely useful; indispensable."

As someone who's jailbroke every iOS device I've ever owned, there is a way. The problem here is there are very few that care to do this. As opposed to iOS where tens of thousands want to hack their phones and pads.

But again, there has to be a way to crack the app itself. For example does android still have the "black" App Store you can install? It's full of cracked apps. There is probably a cracked Litchi version that won't need the licensing check.

This about what Jailbreaks do! They often trick apple... also crack many apps that don't allow jailbreaks to work but using the jailbreak to work around.

Someone could probably take apart Litchi and remove or alter the code that is dependent on that piece and get it to work.

Reach out to a Android Rooting dude. Androids suck in general imo.

Jailbreaking is why I had to get a p4p+, my iPad air 2 is on ios 8 because of a jailbreak app I use daily and so either had to get a new ipad or get p4p+... went the p4p+ way assuming at some point could use 3rd party apps. Has me hopeful right now, but may just break down and get the regular remote and use new phone.

What I fear is that CrystalSky devices, when released, will have the same restrictions. As cool as CrystalSky might be, this limitation of a being incompatible with 3rd party apps will be a show stopper for most serious drones enthusiasts. I expect DJI may be forced to open up their Android platform at some point. I have a feeling the motive for this is to limit their liability, being obligated to have ALL 3rd party apps run on their device, like any cellphone manufacturer does. I don't think DJI has the talent in their Android s/w dept to handle that responsibility, so they simply restrict loading 3rd party apps. We all know that Android has had issues with some of the Google play services bloatware in android tablets, and I suppose there are other hindering apps that may cause problems. However with time I'm hopeful that DJI will acquire the s/w talent to steer around these problems and allow certain apps to be introduced through THEIR OWN WEBSITE, much like Apple's APPstore does this, by testing and approving the content and compliance of submitted 3rd party apps, and then after the apps proves worthy, Apple enables them to be downloaded into Apple devices through their APPstore. DJI could do the same due-diligence with LItchi, Drone Deploy, Auto-pilot, etc, and let a limited number of apps be loaded into their Android devices, using DJI's download app (currently in the device) to allow relevant apps to be downloaded from the DJI website, to their Android devices.

The price of CrystalSky is expected to be high. Without a solution to use 3rd party apps, on top of the high price, I predict CrystalSky will not be popular. Am I wrong?

Last edited:
So, I just found this forum, I was involved in the dji forum thread posted above (at the end, just before the thread was censored by deletion). I hope this forum does not censor/delete threads and posts.

I used Alper Suslu's method of installing large apps on my P4P+ using the 'trim down the large apk file, install the small trimmed apk, then install the full apk' method. I have installed and am using the ~64mb Dropbox apk on my P4P+.

I do not believe the limit is <20mb apk before you have to use the above large file install method, it has more to do with the unpacked size of the apk I think. Alper Suslu suggested deleting all directories but the meta directory as one way to trim a large apk for first install, when I was trying to install larger Play Services apk's I also deleted the top 3 classes#.dex files from the large apk.

I find a trick on the timing of the install of the 'trimmed apk' is to have the install command (less -r) already typed into cmd window and press enter while P4P+ controller is turned off (this gives you a 'waiting for device' message in cmd window), then turn on your P4P+ controller and when you hear the USB connected beeps from your computer press 'up arrow', then enter quickly (this just provides an additional visual screen indicator of when to proceed, when the 'waiting for device' disappears). Then adb install (with -r) the untrimmed apk (no need to reboot theP4P+ controller at this point).

I have not found a Play Services that works yet, even though they say that they install. Always get 'Unfortunately, Play Services has stopped' errors.

I have got around the fact that a copy of my legitimate Litchi install had an authorize issue when installed on P4P+ but I am not 100% sure why the issue disappeared. I believe that it started working after I installed the Play Store apk (which shows up as running but no user interface appears). I also have installed and running a 'Google Services Framework' apk.

At this point I have not found a Play Services that runs without error and I have not figured out how to get Litchi to see the data feed from the P4P+ camera and Flight controller.

I have tried all the 'clear defaults' methods and forcing GO 4 to stop etc but can't seem to find the magic bullet to finish the Litchi not connecting to drone issue.

Maybe someone here has the expertise to finish this.

BTW, I have been forced to join this effort because I bought a P4P+ under the assumption that the SDK would be usable on it (nowhere in DJI faq's or literature can I find mention that SDK does not work on P4P+)

AND, I have not been able to get the Draw mode to work on my brand new and 'up to date' P4P+ (On the FPV screen, the green arrow button that is where you are supposed to Draw from, is at the top of the screen and even if I try to draw a course from it to the lower part of the screen, the course is not accepted. On the 'Satellite view' screen, there is a similar issue. What a joke!)

Last edited:
What I fear is that CrystalSky devices, when released, will have the same restrictions. As cool as CrystalSky might be, this limitation of a being incompatible with 3rd party apps will be a show stopper for most serious drones enthusiasts. I expect DJI may be forced to open up their Android platform at some point. I have a feeling the motive for this is to limit their liability, being obligated to have ALL 3rd party apps run on their device, like any cellphone manufacturer does. I don't think DJI has the talent in their Android s/w dept to handle that responsibility, so they simply restrict loading 3rd party apps. We all know that Android has had issues with some of the Google play services bloatware in android tablets, and I suppose there are other hindering apps that may cause problems. However with time I'm hopeful that DJI will acquire the s/w talent to steer around these problems and allow certain apps to be introduced through THEIR OWN WEBSITE, much like Apple's APPstore does this, by testing and approving the content and compliance of submitted 3rd party apps, and then after the apps proves worthy, Apple enables them to be downloaded into Apple devices through their APPstore. DJI could do the same due-diligence with LItchi, Drone Deploy, Auto-pilot, etc, and let a limited number of apps be loaded into their Android devices, using DJI's download app (currently in the device) to allow relevant apps to be downloaded from the DJI website, to their Android devices.

The price of CrystalSky is expected to be high. Without a solution to use 3rd party apps, on top of the high price, I predict CrystalSky will not be popular. Am I wrong?

Yes you are right, android (5.1.1) as used in the p4p+ is open source... Is dji abbusing?

But I don't think share my next updates.

Alper Suslu, please do not give up on us!!! You are the MAN!!!

AND, great point, it IS very interesting that DJI is taking an OPEN source operating system and trying to make it into their own 'Applelike' fiefdom. Is it even legal under GNU?

Last edited:

I don't expect him to comment about this topic any more because of bad comments, some simply said it's fake (without even bother to test), some mentioned photoshop because of the word Loging instead of logging (which is a dji spelling mistake) and some others commented without even owning the plus version of the p4p

Somtimes you get what you pay for :(

Agreed, but Alper Suslu SHOULD be paid and praised as far as I am concerned, I hope he comes back!

Reactions: Brimba
Agreed, but Alper Suslu SHOULD be paid and praised as far as I am concerned, I hope he comes back!

Agreed 100% i can assure you that he worked harder than what it looks like in here and on dji forum (where his thread was deleted)

I'd pay 50 if someOne would give me DroneDeploy working on it

Reactions: Ben01
The above steps definitely work. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like any DJI GO alternatives can be used. I installed Litchi and it fails to run.

Here are the exact steps I followed:

1) Download the Android SDK Platform-Tools from here and unzip the contents into "C:\ADB".

2) Get the APK file for the app you'd like to install. If you don't have the APK file, install Apk Extractor on your Android device to get it or download the APK from uptodown.

3) Move the APK file into the "C:\ADB" folder.

4) Press the Windows+R keys to open the Windows Run window, enter "cmd", and press the "OK" button to open a Windows command prompt window.

5) Enter "C:\ADB\adb install -r Litchi.apk" (without the quotes) in the command prompt window (don't press enter to run the command).

Note: Replace "Litchi.apk" above with the name of the APK file you copied in step #3 above.

6) Turn off the remote controller if it's powered on.

7) Connect the remote controller to your computer via a micro USB cable.

8) Power on the remote controller and press enter in the command prompt window as soon as you hear the remote controller connect to your computer (turn up your computer speakers). The remote controller should connect shortly after the DJI logo displays on the remote controller screen.

Note: If the APK is too large or you wait too long to start the install, you'll see the following message displayed:

Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_INSUFFICENT_STORAGE]

Note: If all works as expected, the command prompt window should show the APK being pushed to the remote controller and end with a "Success" message after the APK has been installed.

9) Click the gear icon at the top, left of the remote controller display and choose "All Applications" to view a list of your installed apps.

msinger,

You can get a successful abd sideload of a Litchi.apk if you:

1- first create a copy of the apk
2- open the copy with a zip program (I use 7-zip) and delete all the folders except the 'META-INF' folder, then exit the zip program (for larger apk's I have had success also deleting a number of the highest classes#.dex files until an adb install succeeds in installing this 'trimmed' apk) .
3- adb install (no -r) the 'trimmed' apk using your steps 6) to 8)
4- immediately after a 'success' of 3- do an adb install (with -r) of the 'untrimmed' apk (no need to do the timing trick of your 6) to 8)
5- this should give you another 'success' and the app should run now.

See my other posts to see if you need to have Litchi stop saying you are not licensed (I assume your apk was licensed).

Now we just have to figure out how to get the data feed from the RC into Litchi and how to get Play Services running, we are close!!

Last edited:

AND, great point, it IS very interesting that DJI is taking an OPEN source operating system and trying to make it into their own 'Applelike' fiefdom. Is it even legal under GNU?

Android can be licenced - Amazon's Kindle Fire runs a 'closed' version of Android restricting users to their own store (without a hack) so I guess that whilst the core of Android is open source end users can add to it and call it their own OS

I'd pay 50 if someOne would give me DroneDeploy working on it

I installed the ~100MB DroneDeploy apk as per above method and it runs but it also needs Play Services to actually work. (I only needed to make a trimmed apk file with all directories deleted except the META-INF dir)

It also does not connect to my P4P+ drone. I believe it is having the same problem LitChi does with connecting to drone.

Android can be licenced - Amazon's Kindle Fire runs a 'closed' version of Android restricting users to their own store (without a hack) so I guess that whilst the core of Android is open source end users can add to it and call it their own OS

I did not realize that. I guess what bothers me most is that there must be two factions at DJI, one that realizes the benefits of having an SDK and presenting as open source and another that wants total control of the future. Too bad we are caught in the middle!

The fact that android is 'open' is what causes so many problems though - other apps may interfere with DJI's app which causes malfunctions which in turn costs them money/reputation. By building a l'locked' system, the tablet can get on with doing what they need it to do with no resources being diverted elsewhere at critical moments. In theory it's the safer, more stable operating system everybody has been asking for. In practice, it's a closed system that nobody wants :)

Reactions: smiller
You need play services and to achieve that root permissions are required. So you need root.

I installed the ~100MB DroneDeploy apk as per above method and it runs but it also needs Play Services to actually work. (I only needed to make a trimmed apk file with all directories deleted except the META-INF dir)

It also does not connect to my P4P+ drone. I believe it is having the same problem LitChi does with connecting to drone.

The fact that android is 'open' is what causes so many problems though - other apps may interfere with DJI's app which causes malfunctions which in turn costs them money/reputation. By building a l'locked' system, the tablet can get on with doing what they need it to do with no resources being diverted elsewhere at critical moments. In theory it's the safer, more stable operating system everybody has been asking for. In practice, it's a closed system that nobody wants :)
Yes, this. People often repeat that 'there's no reason' for DJI to restrict the + but actually there are a number of reasons, centering around stability and responsibility for support when there are problems. DJI doesn't have the customer support capacity to deal with every problem caused by any unruly app being run on the P4P+ and don't want to own these issues.

However that rationale doesn't explain why they do not allow an external device to connect to the P4P+ controller via USB. A compromise that would both protect DJI and allow full use of the P4P+ controller would be to allow an external device to be using in place of the built-in screen when desired, with the understanding that such use is not officially supported by DJI and any harmful software interactions are the user's responsibility, just as with the standard P4P.

Politics aside, I now have Play Services installed and running (no rooting needed).

I loaded CPU-Z onto the P4P+ RC which allowed me to make a more educated guess at the Play Services apk version that was needed.

Here is the filename of the Play Services apk that runs on the P4P+ RC: com.google.android.gms_10.5.42_(032-149175906)-10542032_minAPI14(armeabi-v7a)(160dpi)_googleplayservicesapk.com.apk

Available at this link: Google Play services 10.5.42 (032-149175906) beta APK Download by Google Inc. - APKMirror

I got a few 'Unfortunately, Play Services has stopped' messages during the two part install process but no longer receive them. (EDIT1: Actually they still appear when the RC is turn on and when Litchi first starts. But after that, Litchi keeps running without the messages)

EDIT2: As long as I stop all running DJI apps (including cached ones), I do not get any 'Unfortunately, Play Services has stopped' messages when I start Litchi nor while Litchi runs. Can't seem to get rid of Weibo instances, they keep coming back even after stopping running and cached instances.

Litchi now runs and shows Google maps in its satellite window, along with a blue dot at my location. Dronedeploy no longer tells me I need Play Services installed.

Now we just have to get the data feed to the apps, so far I am stumped.

Last edited:
Reactions: ferncfc and RyanK

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164