P4P props frequently popping off at start-up

Reaction score
Website
fishcrow.com
I realize this is a topic that is probably of little interest now that the P4P has been phased out, but did any other users notice that it's easy to not get the props on properly? I would always push them down and turn them, thinking they were properly in place. Then I would start up the drone only to have one of the props go flying. This could seemingly be an eye hazard, but fortunately they would always fly upward before coming down. Usually no harm done, but I lost one in the water. I finally learned that this problem can be avoided by trying to rotate the prop back and forth to verify that it's securely in place. I never had one fly off after starting to do that test.

It is only a matter of doing that properly. It's not a drone-related issue but an operator related.

Props are a key component to the going up part of the equation.
I have always checked the locking sequence on every flight in the pre-flight list.
Just a habit for some time now.

Glad you figured a solution. Prop attachments and mounts do break or fail so worth a look see before each flight. The worst were the original mounts on the P4 standard but can be replaced with the P4P mounts.

Reactions: WV. Rootman
Let me describe my practice.
As you said the propeller must be pushed down, then rotate in the opposite way of rotation for this propeller.
When it is stuck I go to another one and so attach all four of them. Then and this is the check step - I'm trying to rotate an attached prop forward and backward without pushing it down while with the other hand fixing the motor, and I feel a very slight click when the prop is sitting properly. If not the prop will likely fall off.

I had this happen a long time ago. pretty scary. I only use the updated P4p prop locks. that is the one with the spring in the center.

I realize this is a topic that is probably of little interest now that the P4P has been phased out, but did any other users notice that it's easy to not get the props on properly? I would always push them down and turn them, thinking they were properly in place. Then I would start up the drone only to have one of the props go flying. This could seemingly be an eye hazard, but fortunately they would always fly upward before coming down. Usually no harm done, but I lost one in the water. I finally learned that this problem can be avoided by trying to rotate the prop back and forth to verify that it's securely in place. I never had one fly off after starting to do that test.
A lot of us still have the P4P...and love it. When I load the props, once in place, I twist both ways to make sure they are secure. Never had a problem.

Reactions: WV. Rootman
I'm going to guess you have aftermarket props. The OEM's have a very positive feel to them. I've logged well over 100 P4P flights for Lord knows how many hours and the only propeller issues I ever had were with aftermarket props. The OEM props install very positively.

Here's how to tell which props you have. Advance to 5 minutes to cut to the chase.

D

No, I have the OEM props. It's just that I didn't immediately discover a way to be certain that are fully seated into position.
There are two steps; Push and turn. If you just push without the turn of the motor or the prop, the prop just pulls right back off. Hard to imagine you couldn't feel that.

D

There are two steps; Push and turn. If you just push without the turn of the motor or the prop, the prop just pulls right back off. Hard to imagine you couldn't feel that.

D
It's not that simple. If you only push and turn, the prop won't necessarily be locked into place. It needs to also be set in the groove. If it's not set in the groove, it won't pull back off, but it will turn and then pop off when you start up the drone. You can make sure it's in the groove, by trying to rotate back and forth.

It's not that simple. If you only push and turn, the prop won't necessarily be locked into place. It needs to also be set in the groove. If it's not set in the groove, it won't pull back off, but it will turn and then pop off when you start up the drone. You can make sure it's in the groove, by trying to rotate back and forth.
Interesting. That's not my experience. I actually have to work at it to mis-install the prop in that manner. I got so tired of arguing about it that I actually made a video demonstrating how hard it is to mis-install the prop. As you can see, I actually have to properly install the prop, but then back off to just the exact right amount.

Are you SURE you have OEM props?

D

Interesting. That's not my experience. I actually have to work at it to mis-install the prop in that manner. I got so tired of arguing about it that I actually made a video demonstrating how hard it is to mis-install the prop. As you can see, I actually have to properly install the prop, but then back off to just the exact right amount.

Are you SURE you have OEM props?

D
I think this video demonstrates very well why they spin the motors up quickly before taking off.

XOAR wood props with spin-on adapters are bullet proof. Unfortunately expensive.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj