P4P P-mode speeds

Reaction score
Hi peeps.

Quick question regarding P-mode speeds with/without OA...

Manual states with OA enabled the drone reaches 31MPH with tilt @25 degrees. With OA disabled, it can reach 36 MPH at 35 degree tilt? But I thought the latter was referring to Atti mode? So which is correct?

What extra speed do I actually get if I disable OA in P-mode?

Answers on a post card please :)

Per the P4P specs, the max speeds are as follows:

S-mode: 45 mph (72 kph)
A-mode: 36 mph (58 kph)
P-mode: 31 mph (50 kph)

Manual states with OA enabled the drone reaches 31MPH with tilt @25 degrees. With OA disabled, it can reach 36 MPH at 35 degree tilt? But I thought the latter was referring to Atti mode? So which is correct?

What extra speed do I actually get if I disable OA in P-mode?
In P-GPS mode with OA disabled, your P4 pro will get 16 metres/sec = 36 mph (in still air)

Hi Meta4 thanks for confirming. so the instructions are correct :)

I take it then the similarities of flight tilt and speed of P-GPS mode (with OA off) vs atti mode are the same, bar from the fact that the former will have gps with only vision positioning on, vs the latter with all sensors disabled only with internal barometer?

Not meaning to be disrespectful to anyone in any way, but these questions about "speed" are to me irrelevant. These birds do have the capabilities for such, but being designed primarily for photography purposes, speed is an absolute non-issue and in fact detrimental to the photography aspect. If a user wants to fly fast, that's not an issue but use a different platform specifically designed for such. P4's and P3's are not racing drones. Sorry, but just have seen so many of these speed related posts for both, it makes no sense. That's just my opinion so don't take that personally.......

Reactions: Blessed77
Not meaning to be disrespectful to anyone in any way, but these questions about "speed" are to me irrelevant. These birds do have the capabilities for such, but being designed primarily for photography purposes, speed is an absolute non-issue and in fact detrimental to the photography aspect. If a user wants to fly fast, that's not an issue but use a different platform specifically designed for such. P4's and P3's are not racing drones. Sorry, but just have seen so many of these speed related posts for both, it makes no sense. That's just my opinion so don't take that personally.......
Got to disagree with you FlyDawg. Speed can be great for shooting video at a slightly higher altitude to make ground move more and be more interesting. Chasing boats, cars, motorcycles all need some speed to keep up too. As for photography, it's really good to get to a spot sometimes really fast to shoot and get your shot and manage battery power.

Speed is important for a lot more than having fun flying fast.
Speed can be very important if you are flying any distance for your photography.
With obstacle avoidance enabled, the Phantom wastes battery covering distance slower.
And if you are dealing with a headwind coming home, speed can be of critical importance.

The whole point of posting up my question was to try and clear up a confusion I had with aircraft functionality. To understand my drone thoroughly I can better adapt it to certain situations.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
The whole point of posting up my question was to try and clear up a confusion I had with aircraft functionality. To understand my drone thoroughly I can better adapt it to certain situations.
Then Singer pretty much answered that for ya right?

Speed can be great for shooting video at a slightly higher altitude to make ground move more and be more interesting. Chasing boats, cars, motorcycles all need some speed to keep up too.
I agree to a point, if you think about it though, the higher your altitude, the less speed you need to keep up in that aspect. In the instance of "Chase footage" I agree, but not for still photos. Video is fine for that. I was simply stating the fact that more times than not, speed is irrelevant. Even in the aspect that @Meta4 mentioned "Speed" is not the most critical in a strong headwind, that is more about remaining power, distance and altitude in that strong wind to get you back.

Even in the aspect that @Meta4 mentioned "Speed" is not the most critical in a strong headwind, that is more about remaining power, distance and altitude in that strong wind to get you back.
It's not going to be important to the way that everyone uses their Phantom but speed is very important for a lot of my photography.
I shoot (sometimes) fast moving subjects that can be well out with winds that can seriously affect my ability to get the picture.
I have to be well aware of the interactions between drone speed, subject speed and wind speed and direction to be able to shoot what I do.
If I get it wrong, some possible outcomes include missing the target altogether, not being able to get into position to compose properly before the subject is gone or going home with one less Phantom.
Here's an example:
DJI_0080b-X2.jpg

The ship is making 22 kts into a 12 kt headwind. My Phantom can't keep up with that combination.
I have to be in the right position and get only once chance to shoot this view before it's gone.
At that range, calculating for the return journey is also important or critical depending on the wind strength and direction.

speed is an absolute non-issue and in fact detrimental to the photography aspect..
I would say speed is THE most important issue, and in fact ESSENTIAL to the photography aspect. Similar to the saying "the best camera is the one you have with you", the best shot is the one you are there for. :cool:

It's not going to be important to the way that everyone uses their Phantom but speed is very important for a lot of my photography.
I shoot (sometimes) fast moving subjects that can be well out with winds that can seriously affect my ability to get the picture.
I have to be well aware of the interactions between drone speed, subject speed and wind speed and direction to be able to shoot what I do.
If I get it wrong, some possible outcomes include missing the target altogether, not being able to get into position to compose properly before the subject is gone or going home with one less Phantom.
Here's an example:
DJI_0080b-X2.jpg

The ship is making 22 kts into a 12 kt headwind. My Phantom can't keep up with that combination.
I have to be in the right position and get only once chance to shoot this view before it's gone.
At that range, calculating for the return journey is also important or critical depending on the wind strength and direction.
Love your photos meta

Reactions: berndennis
I would say speed is THE most important issue, and in fact ESSENTIAL to the photography aspect.
I wouldn't go that far, and as far as my comment goes, i should have chosen better wording for what I was attempting to say. "Detrimental", was a bit harsh and I agree that for shots as mentioned above, speed would most likely be a factor in getting the shot you want. My comment was actually more leaning toward the fact that the OP never stated anything about the photography aspect, and I may or may not have taken that in to account when I replied. It was really more about for inanimate stills as far as the photography part goes. I have shot a few college football games in my days and I am fully aware of moving targets....Anyway, that's all I really meant.

There have been a few guys here in this forum that have ran tests for speed versus distance efficiency. The result I recall was 28 to 30 mph was the optimal speed to maximize distance, assuming no wind.

The other interesting benefit of 30mph is the P4P gimbal rarely flips, an inherent design flaw that DJI has been unable to solve with firmware, to my knowledge.

As a result, I will often use P mode with OA enabled, not because I desire the obstacle avoidance to prevent crashes. I use it to optimize mileage and mitigate gimbal flips. The built-in speed limit of OA to about 30mph facilitates both goals.

BTW, speed is very important to mitigate sudden wind coming up, VERY important. And if you ever owned a Yuneec Q500 (17mph max) you'll learn the issues of having a lack of speed, oh my.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik