P4P or P4P+?

The primary benefit of the + is brightness. If that's important to you consider the Samsung S8 with the P4P, same size screen as the + (maybe slightly larger) which is brighter than the + screen. The S8 has 1200nit brightness. Then you can run third party apps too and have the flexibility to upgrade to 7.9" Crystal Sky later with e P4P controller.

Remember, you cannot upgrade the P4P+ with a larger screen. With the P4P you can upgrade to the upcoming 2000nit 7.9"Crystal Sky screen, super bright.

Of course for some (like me) prefer the smaller and less bulky screen. I also like that it's all one unit that is recharged as a unit and that there is no cable to worry about.

Have you ever actually worked with a P4P+?

Oh so there are plans for a bigger and brighter screen controller for the P4P+???
No ... he was referring to the superbright Crystalsky monitor that DJI announced a while back but have not released.
CrystalSky
It's just like any other Android tablet except it's super bright and won't allow 3rd party apps to be loaded.

I have not, no.

I was asking Mr. Locke who seems determined to talk everybody out of the P4P+. I agree that it might not be the best fit for everyone, but I don't agree that it's a bad choice, especially if he hasn't actually used one. It's just theory for him if he hasn't. I've used both and there is much that is good about the P4P+.

Reactions: Solly747400
Have you ever actually worked with a P4P+?
I haven't flown with one, but I saw one at the DJI store last Saturday. They're very cute, and true they are compact, but I prefer the luxury of a larger screen. It's like asking me if I'd ever own a Smart Car. They are cute, but no I wouldn't buy one, and I don't need to drive one to know that.

I need the flexibility of other apps and phone screen just isn't big enough. Someday Apple will make a 1000+ nit bright screen iPad, it's just a matter of time. Samsung will likely get there first, given their S8 phone being 1200nit. I expect soon display manufacturers will have these larger daylight readable screens for Android tablet OEM's to use (when the cost comes down), similar to what DJI is blazing the trail with in their 7.9" Crystal Sky devices.

I was asking Mr. Locke who seems determined to talk everybody out of the P4P+. I agree that it might not be the best fit for everyone, but I don't agree that it's a bad choice, especially if he hasn't actually used one. It's just theory for him if he hasn't. I've used both and there is much that is good about the P4P+.
Yes, but you had to buy the P4P controller also, right? That's evident you can't get by without the flexibility of the P4P.

If someone wants to buy both, fine. But it seems wiser to me if you want to spend that much money to take the extra $300 you spent for the + controller, along with the $325 you paid for the second controller, and simply buy a 7.9" Crystal Sky for the P4P controller. That combination seems to provide more value, plus it gives you options! Have you used the 7.9" Crystal Sky? It's about the same price you paid for both controllers, and it's twice the screen, not to mention you don't have to tote around two controllers when on vacation to pick the one you want to use.

Others with + controllers have said it has issues, such as the intelligent flight modes don't work. Does yours work OK?

The primary benefit of the + is brightness. If that's important to you consider the Samsung S8 with the P4P, same size screen as the + (maybe slightly larger) which is brighter than the + screen. The S8 has 1200nit brightness. Then you can run third party apps too and have the flexibility to upgrade to 7.9" Crystal Sky later with e P4P controller.

Remember, you cannot upgrade the P4P+ with a larger screen. With the P4P you can upgrade to the upcoming 2000nit 7.9"Crystal Sky screen, super bright.

Isn't the 1200nits on the Samsung S8 some sort of automatic brightness mode which cannot be maintained for a long period of time as it heats up, max manual brightness is about 525nits, I got my crystalsky ultra yesterday and it smashes my S8+ completely out of the park

Last edited:
Oh so there are plans for a bigger and brighter screen controller for the P4P+???

I don't think there are plans for a P4P+ style large monitor due to power consumption which in this design comes from your RC battery I believe

but for the standard P4P it's available now, got one the other day for my P4P controller, 7.85 inches, 2000 nits

crystalsky1 - Copy.jpg

Expensive tablet, especially as they lock it down and can't add any 3rd party apps

Definitely too expensive for a monitor, you can side load apps now but they are limited in size, spent a heap lately on Titan Antennas as well, drone and batteries aren't cheap either.

Thinking about it and comparatively speaking, I think you get less bang for your buck with drones than you do with dslrs

Reactions: Solly747400
I haven't flown with one, but I saw one at the DJI store last Saturday. They're very cute, and true they are compact, but I prefer the luxury of a larger screen. It's like asking me if I'd ever own a Smart Car. They are cute, but no I wouldn't buy one, and I don't need to drive one to know that.

I need the flexibility of other apps and phone screen just isn't big enough. Someday Apple will make a 1000+ nit bright screen iPad, it's just a matter of time. Samsung will likely get there first, given their S8 phone being 1200nit. I expect soon display manufacturers will have these larger daylight readable screens for Android tablet OEM's to use (when the cost comes down), similar to what DJI is blazing the trail with in their 7.9" Crystal Sky devices.

"Some day" there will be a better drone than the Phantom 4 Pro, and possibly cheaper, but meanwhile, I'll use what's available.

I didn't buy the + because of "cuteness" and that's not why I use it.

Do what's best for yourself, but that doesn't mean it applies to everyone. The + is fantastic.

I don't think there are plans for a P4P+ style large monitor due to power consumption which in this design comes from your RC battery I believe

but for the standard P4P it's available now, got one the other day for my P4P controller, 7.85 inches, 2000 nits

View attachment 90486
2000nit? Very nice. They aren't shipping that in the US yet. Are you sure you don't have the 1000nit which are currently shipping?

Since you have one, can that device play an SD card video taken from the craft and send the video out the HDMI port, as a video player? If yes, what resolutions will it play?

2000nit? Very nice. They aren't shipping that in the US yet. Are you sure you don't have the 1000nit which are currently shipping?

Since you have one, can that device play an SD card video taken from the craft and send the video out the HDMI port, as a video player? If yes, what resolutions will it play?
There are some in the US that have received their Ultra Brightness. You can tell the difference in the monitor by the U in the upper right of the display.

There are some in the US that have received their Ultra Brightness. You can tell the difference in the monitor by the U in the upper right of the display.
Oh wow, really? I put in my request to be notified when they start shipping in the US, but nothing yet. Maybe I missed their email.

Oh wow, really? I put in my request to be notified when they start shipping in the US, but nothing yet. Maybe I missed their email.
May have come from overseas supplier. They would not say what authorized dealer they came from.

The Ultra brights are slowly coming in and are being shipped out to the people that preordered them. We have had a dealer demo for a couple of weeks now and is extremely bight in full sun. We have a client that compared the Ultra with the High brightness monitors using our dealer demo. Have a look...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
canadiansauna