P4P New RTH Features

I wonder if the new RTH works similar to the Typhoon H now that we have 5 sensors?

On the Typhoon H it always records the last 30 seconds of flight regardless if obstacle avoidance was necessary or not. This is how the Typhoon H can avoid objects it's already passed through when the obstacle avoidance sensor is facing a different direction. It marks all sensed objects via GPS and other internal sensors.

If the Phantom 4 Pro does this then it would mean a bread crumb path is made as it flys, yet only a portion of it remains in memory. When RTH the P4P could make use of this if it immediately encounters objects on RTH.

My guess is the P4P records the info, but still rises to the RTH height set by the user before making it's way home in a straight line. It's probably more designed for when flying around hills/mountains/rocks where the RTH
height may be incorrect.

I'm surprised we have not seen demos of this (other than DJI) yet on YouTube since it is a new feature.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'm surprised we have not seen demos of this (other than DJI) yet on YouTube since it is a new feature
There don't seem to be a lot of pre-release P4P's out there, plus the reviews I have seen have been pretty lightweight. At this rate we will have them in our hands before anyone does an exhaustive review.

The P4P actually does more than leave breadcrumbs. It seems it builds a 3D map (point cloud probably) of it's environment as it flies and uses that 3D map to help avoid obstacles. It can also use that data to help it return to home on the same path it took to get where it is.

I'm hoping it records more than 30 seconds of the flight path, that would be mediocre IMO. It would seem easy to record elevation and GPS coordinates once a second. That's not much data during a 20min flight. However I'm unsure how much internal memory they have included to deal with this feature.

Can you imagine flying down a narrow canyon (clear view of sky of course) without worry of sudden RTH execution if you lose signal (which inevitably happens) as you go around corners ? You wouldn't have to worry about adjusting RTH height, guessing what the AGL is of the mountain tops. With P4P it just backtracks through the canyon until you regain a connection.

Can you imagine flying down a narrow canyon (clear view of sky of course) without worry of sudden RTH execution if you lose signal (which inevitably happens) as you go around corners ? You wouldn't have to worry about adjusting RTH height, guessing what the AGL is of the mountain tops. With P4P it just backtracks through the canyon until you regain a connection.
You try it first :)

Reactions: FlashBuddy

The problem with this is that you may have flown for miles before losing signal. You might even be 1000' away. Now the P4 is going to fly for miles, run out of battery and then land where ever it might get to 10%.

The problem with this is that you may have flown for miles before losing signal. You might even be 1000' away. Now the P4 is going to fly for miles, run out of battery and then land where ever it might get to 10%.
Naw, you won't find me flying miles down a canyon. Besides, the battery monitor is too conservative for that, you'll be warned. It would be a gross pilot error to drain the battery that low on this kind of mission, and I don't make those errors. :p I also wouldn't do a canyon flight with a prevailing wind, so that wouldn't be a factor.

It will be interesting to see how accurate RTH backtracking is, and how consistent the flight tolerances are to maintain the exact path. I'm assuming 15' accuracy, worse case, but expect <10'.

Naw, you won't find me flying miles down a canyon. Besides, the battery monitor is too conservative for that, you'll be warned. It would be a gross pilot error to drain the battery that low on this kind of mission, and I don't make those errors. :p I also wouldn't do a canyon flight with a prevailing wind, so that wouldn't be a factor.

Does not need to be miles away, could be back, forth, side, side. Just flying all around a small area. The P4 is then going to follow all of that on it's way back.

From the manual:
88287c06966dfa7162871eca3209105d.jpg

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Unfortunately the manual isn't very complete and raises more questions than answers. I think we will have to wait for real-world testing of the new RTH modes to get any detailed information.

Unfortunately the manual isn't very complete and raises more questions than answers. I think we will have to wait for real-world testing of the new RTH modes to get any detailed information.
Yes, the written Chinglish/Engleese leaves a lot to be desired! It's confusing at best! :rolleyes: It probably makes more sense, if you already know the answer, while reading it! :p

Yes, the written Chinglish/Engleese leaves a lot to be desired! It's confusing at best! :rolleyes: It probably makes more sense, if you already know the answer, while reading it! :p
Agreed, these DJI guys don't have command of the English language, that's obvious. This paragraph in the manual about RTH makes no sense at all. Here you have a billion dollar company that can't hire a US born American with an English degree and a passion for drones to validate the marketing collateral. My my.

Agreed, these DJI guys don't have command of the English language, that's obvious. This paragraph in the manual about RTH makes no sense at all. Here you have a billion dollar company that can't hire a US born American with an English degree and a passion for drones to validate the marketing collateral. My my.
They tried to recruit Americans, but no one wanted to relocate to China, which was a job requirement. True story. :cool:

I'll give it a try.

Three modes of RTH are:

FAILSAFE RTH.
This is simple language for: "Crap, I've lost connection with my drone!!!!"
If connection is lost for 3 seconds or more, then FAILSAFE is initiated.
If the P4P had a GPS signal druing the entire flight it will then retrace it's flight route home (the route was electronically mapped). If you spent 10 minutes flying donuts, it will probably only do 1 donut on the way home (that's my guess). Note: The manual is unclear between retracing the route at the height flown or at the pre-set RTH height.
Forward Vision system must be enabled to avoid objects on RTH. Side & rear vision systems disabled due to speed.

SMART RTH.
This is simple language for: "Where the hell is my drone, I'm freak'n out and pressing the RTH button now!"
Drone will fly in a straight line back to home at pre-set RTH altitude.
Forward Vision system must be enabled to avoid objects on RTH. Side & rear vision systems disabled due to speed.

LOW BATTERY RTH.
This is simple language for: "The drone wants me to decide between continuing the mission and crashing or coming back to home safely"

I'll give it a try.

Three modes of RTH are:

FAILSAFE RTH.
This is simple language for: "Crap, I've lost connection with my drone!!!!"
If connection is lost for 3 seconds or more, then FAILSAFE is initiated.
If the P4P had a GPS signal druing the entire flight it will then retrace it's flight route home (the route was electronically mapped). If you spent 10 minutes flying donuts, it will probably only do 1 donut on the way home (that's my guess). Note: The manual is unclear between retracing the route at the height flown or at the pre-set RTH height.

SMART RTH.
This is simple language for: "Where the hell is my drone, I'm freak'n out and pressing the RTH button now!"

LOW BATTERY RTH.
This is simple language for: "The drone wants me to decide between continuing the mission and crashing or coming back to home safely"
Smart RTH is a stupid function that has caused multiple crashes when the home point is different than the pilot thought, and even though the aircraft is within sight, sends it away on a "fly away" mission, that can crash it into nearby objects while the pilot tries to regain control to land the aircraft, cancelling the ascension to the preset RTH height! Turn it OFF! For me, it would cut short every mission, and result in every flight landing with 30% remaining battery, instead of 10%!

It's certainly user selectable. You always get a verbal warning and a screen warning for RTH for battery reasons, giving you 10 seconds to cancel out of RTH. You can easily select to cancel out of it and return to home manually, which is what everyone should do, if they have half a brain. You can then choose to ascend and return on a beeline course, or manually fly another route within reason of your battery reserve.

If the craft loses signal, it hasn't lost signal for very long when the craft ceases to continue and enables RTH. It's usually 3 seconds typically when RTH is triggered. If it turns around to backtrack the course, the control signal will soon return and you can select to cancel RTH at that time and carry on with your mission, or return. This scenario is the primary benefit if you unknowingly go behind a building, mountain or other interference that disconnects the RC from the craft. Backtracking is the most efficient and least risk method to regain control. You should have no more worries about RTH height settings, specific to each location.

Where this really helps out is if you are way out beyond VLOS (shame on me) and I accidentally drop behind something and lose signal, the craft will come out of the area safely (assuming it's got a good GPS signal) on a known clear path so I can regain control. This also helps if radio interference a mile away disables the craft from communicating with the RC.

I like this backtrack feature. I see little downside.

Some pilot use RTH as a crutch. I'm unsure why, but when they are done flying the mission, they click and hold RTH and let the craft fly itself back. I never do this, so if the beeline option isn't there, I won't miss it.
Does backtracking include altitude changes as per the flight out?

Until DJI gives us complete setting control over these autonomous features, the pilot will remain smarter than the software set for an idiot who just bought it today, and needs to be protected from himself! Fighting forced Autoland at 10% battery when over water and trying to make to dry land is not helpful! Shutting off "smart" batteries when in flight when any cell momentarily drops below 3.0V is plain stupid. Need I go on? :rolleyes:
What is your definition of complete setting control. By design, MR is a fly by wire design, your stick input is interpreted and translated to the esc signals which in term translated into the motor rpm. Unless you did your own fc, esc and motor design, you will NEVER have complete setting control.

What is your definition of complete setting control. By design, MR is a fly by wire design, your stick input is interpreted and translated to the esc signals which in term translated into the motor rpm. Unless you did your own fc, esc and motor design, you will NEVER have complete setting control.
I thought I defined it rather well: "Until DJI gives us complete setting control over these autonomous features, the pilot will remain smarter than the software set for an idiot who just bought it today, and needs to be protected from himself! Fighting forced Autoland at 10% battery when over water and trying to make to dry land is not helpful! Shutting off "smart" batteries when in flight when any cell even momentarily drops below 3.0V to protect the battery is plain stupid.” Those two "autonomous" features, which the pilot cannot turn OFF, have caused most crashes, where the pilot was still fully otherwise in control!:eek:

Reactions: Drestin Black
hopefully the smart rth will be like 3dr had for solo in beta testing, when signal is lost it will retrace its path for a set distance like say 70 feet and if signal isn't regained at that point it will go into normal rth mode.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1