P4P Motors lifespan/MTBF?

Reaction score
Working on a project in a tropical environment with a P4P. We're flying mapping missions with DJI Ground Station. We've got about 80hrs on the system an I'm starting to worry about the motors and ESCs. We run about 10 batteries per day for a week at a time. What's the lifespan or MTBF of those motors? Any maintenance suggested besides keeping them clean and dry as possible?

Good question, I also wonder if to use some kind of oil is a good move?

I haven't checked but on a design like this they should have used pre-lubricated sealed bearings. Putting oil on them will just collect dust and debris on the bearing seals and surrounding area possibly hampering cooling or causing other problems.

Would love the manufacturer's MTBF numbers for the motors though.

Reactions: erickwill
I haven't checked but on a design like this they should have used pre-lubricated sealed bearings. Putting oil on them will just collect dust and debris on the bearing seals and surrounding area possibly hampering cooling or causing other problems.

Would love the manufacturer's MTBF numbers for the motors though.

Thanks for clarifying ;)

Hundreds of hours MTBF sans trauma.
Probably outlast most people's flying skills.

Reactions: BCBasher
Actual motor and ESC failures are extremely rare on these units, and usually happen right away (defect) rather then after long use. I suspect the MTBF is far longer than the expected life of the craft. These are excellent motors. I wouldn't be too concerned about it. Motor and ESC failures are very high risk to craft and bystanders. They are of very high quality due to this risk. The one thing I would check, is to make the prop mounts haven't loosened up.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl