P4P GPS issue

Reaction score
I’ve recently acquired a P4P. With only 2 hours of flight time, 0 crashes and 0 issues, I’m getting a “can’t take off” “no gps signal” message. I do not have a warranty on my drone, and really am hoping to not spend more money as this thing was expensive enough. The location this happened is the same exact place I’ve flown multiple times at with no signal loss or fluctuations of any kind. Could this be a bad GPS? I also tried to download the new firmware to fix, but the firmware download fails every time on mobile app and PC as well. Very disappointed in this $1,600 drone so far. Can anyone help?

I’ve recently acquired a P4P. With only 2 hours of flight time, 0 crashes and 0 issues, I’m getting a “can’t take off” “no gps signal” message. I do not have a warranty on my drone, and really am hoping to not spend more money as this thing was expensive enough. The location this happened is the same exact place I’ve flown multiple times at with no signal loss or fluctuations of any kind. Could this be a bad GPS? I also tried to download the new firmware to fix, but the firmware download fails every time on mobile app and PC as well. Very disappointed in this $1,600 drone so far. Can anyone help?
If you get no GPS out in the open, you either have a bad GPS unit or the connection from the GPS antenna to the mainboard is loose.

Does it fly in Atti mode? No gps so a little tricky. Be careful, good luck.

If you get no GPS out in the open, you either have a bad GPS unit or the connection from the GPS antenna to the mainboard is loose.
Any word on the firmware update issue? It fails at 90% on my phone and on my PC

That suggest a hardware problem.
This drone has no GPS signal because I blocked it.
But the drone starts and flies as normal.
i-M45s6SC-L.jpg

The power on self test will see the GPS receiver even though there is no GPS signal.
It really looks like your GPS connector has come loose or the GPS receiver is broken.

If it's just the connector, that's a quick job to open the case and plug it back in.

That suggest a hardware problem.
This drone has no GPS signal because I blocked it.
But the drone starts and flies as normal.
i-M45s6SC-L.jpg

The power on self test will see the GPS receiver even though there is no GPS signal.
It really looks like your GPS connector has come loose or the GPS receiver is broken.

If it's just the connector, that's a quick job to open the case and plug it back in.
I was debating pulling it apart and checking the plug. I watched a YouTube video of a gps module replacement and the process involved a lot of things to remove, and soldering. I’m not stupid, I work on cars everyday removing many things, and putting them back, but for a first timer involving this, could it be done rather easily without a soldering and dismantling every piece?

I was debating pulling it apart and checking the plug. I watched a YouTube video of a gps module replacement and the process involved a lot of things to remove, and soldering. I’m not stupid, I work on cars everyday removing many things, and putting them back, but for a first timer involving this, could it be done rather easily without a soldering and dismantling every piece?
I wouldn't think there would be any soldering.
There wasn't for the Phantom 3 series, so I'm guessing it's similar for the P4?
The connector is a simple push on one and the GPS antenna of the P3 series was taped to the top of the shell.
The worst part is opening/closing the shell of the P4 series.

I wouldn't think there would be any soldering.
There wasn't for the Phantom 3 series, so I'm guessing it's similar for the P4?
The connector is a simple push on one and the GPS antenna of the P3 series was taped to the top of the shell.
The worst part is opening/closing the shell of the P4 series.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
check this video out and tell me what you think? I appreciate you’re help with all of this.

check this video out and tell me what you think? I appreciate you’re help with all of this.
He seems pretty competent.
That looks a lot more complicated than it was on the old P3 series.
On those it was a simple matter of unscrewing the top cover and lifting it off.

He seems pretty competent.
That looks a lot more complicated than it was on the old P3 series.
On those it was a simple matter of unscrewing the top cover and lifting it off.
Actually I believe you can get to the plug before he de-solders and actually lifts out the guts. Sure you have to do that to “replace” the module, but not to ensure connection

Getting to the plug is fairly easy. The gps not so easy. You will need a soldering station. Yo have to in solder at least one motor from the esc board. Do not cut and splice. If it is the gps itself which I doubt, send it to a professional

Getting to the plug is fairly easy. The gps not so easy. You will need a soldering station. Yo have to in solder at least one motor from the esc board. Do not cut and splice. If it is the gps itself which I doubt, send it to a professional
Definitely. Is it weird that it won’t even fly in ATTI mode? Would the GPS module being unplugged cause that

One other thing it could be is the power module where the gps plugs in. I have seen a couple go bad. Not sure about it not flying if unplugged as I have not tried that. If you are in beginner mode it will not fly without gps

One other thing it could be is the power module where the gps plugs in. I have seen a couple go bad. Not sure about it not flying if unplugged as I have not tried that. If you are in beginner mode it will not fly without gps
I am not in beginner mode. Will not take off in any mode.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31