P4P - Defeat Altitude Restriction w/ Compass Error?

Reaction score
Is there a way to defeat the altitude restriction on a P4P when there is a compass error?

Flew in a boiler this morning to perform a visual inspection of the burners along the side walls. Because I am inside a large metal structure with metal top, bottom and sides, the compass goes nuts, showed an error and limited my altitude preventing me from reaching the superheater pendants at the top of the boiler.

Any way to fix this?

Any way to fix this?
My statement would be no. The compass is far to sensitive to even attempt what you are doing. When the aircraft looses compass direction, it is basically useless to even attempt to fly period. You are extremely lucky that you didn't crash. Obviously you had no GPS and were flying in ATTI. But as I said, when the compass acts up. You are quite honestly in serious jeopardy of loosing the aircraft, and more often than not.

Is there a way to defeat the altitude restriction on a P4P when there is a compass error?

Flew in a boiler this morning to perform a visual inspection of the burners along the side walls. Because I am inside a large metal structure with metal top, bottom and sides, the compass goes nuts, showed an error and limited my altitude preventing me from reaching the superheater pendants at the top of the boiler.

Any way to fix this?

How much did you lack from reaching the upper most section?If it was just a few feet you could "erect" some type of temporary launch platform and takeoff from that to give you the needed "reach".

With today's systems becoming more and more "idiot proof" there are fewer ways to get around what the manufacturer (and I tend to agree) would call a Critical System Error. Maybe get an older aircraft with older software that will only display errors instead of limiting your flight parameters.

Also you might want to consider something like a Yuneec for this type of work as I don't think (and I'm assuming) they don't limit flight parameters with such an error. Keep in mind you might be trading one "allowance" for a different hurdle.

We flew "inside" a bridge structure a few weeks back and the Compass Error was such an annoyance but fortunately the Alt limit did not hamper what we were trying to do but it did require us to be proficient in flying in ATTI mode without a doubt.

Reactions: Herc
We flew ten sorties without incident and the client was pleased that we could get such great video of the interior.

The distance to the upper part of the boiler was an additional 50’, so no way to cheat the system by starting off of anything at the boiler throat.

I appreciate all the help with this issue.

Everybody have a good day and be safe.

Attachments

• 3D2B9C62-8976-432F-B6CC-4ACC9E43BA11.jpeg
    3D2B9C62-8976-432F-B6CC-4ACC9E43BA11.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 348
We flew ten sorties without incident and the client was pleased that we could get such great video of the interior.
The distance to the upper part of the boiler was an additional 50’, so no way to cheat the system by starting off of anything at the boiler throat.
How far did you reach?
If you flew to 100 feet up up, you have reached the limit for flying without GPS.
If you only topped out at 26 feet, you can go higher by disabling the VPS system in the app settings.
Doesn't simply launching in ATTI mode avoid the altitude restriction?
Here's the relevant note from the manual.
Very few people encounter this situation as most are flying in P-GPS most of the time.
i-Sd8N6Xb-M.jpg

When flying without GPS ....
If you have VPS activated, the altitude limit is 8 metres.
If you disable VPS, the limit is increased to 30 metres.

Reactions: Herc and BigAl07
Meta4,

I was topped out at approximately 100’ based on the diagram of the boiler provided that showed elevations for the various components visable inside the boiler. We experimented with different configurations and found that collision avoidance warnings were too distracting to the VO and provided no benefit except that with them off we could at least get that first 100’.

Turned Expo down and found that to be exceedingly helpful. Very squirrelly in the corners of the vessel and extremely sporty just below max altitude permitted. Lots of uncommanded motion in all three axes so constantly on sticks adjusting based off of my line of sight with VO providing guidance to get / keep camera on target. The ability to take those little bites helped keep from over correcting.

Could not disagree more with the response that the P4P has no business in this setting. Yes, it was challenging. But we flew safely and well within the specifications and operating limitations of our equipment. I would not recommend this mission to just anyone but still very doable.

Have a good evening and be safe.

Attachments

• BD0B9948-C16E-4FD2-AE63-F671D348EEA1.jpeg
    BD0B9948-C16E-4FD2-AE63-F671D348EEA1.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 337
Reactions: BigAl07
I was topped out at approximately 100’
That's a big boiler.
You did well to do what you did in that environment.
One other thing that might help (not sure because I've not flown in that situation) ...
I wonder if Tripod Mode would be of assistance?

Meta4,
That is a good suggestion, thank you.
Going to go do my post production to identify each component in the video for the client.
Portion of the raw video at link below.
Have a good day and be safe.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07
That shows good control and lighting.
Great inspection video.

@Meta4 nailed it. Very smooth control. With the EXPO turned down it gave the look/feel that we were watching something under water with that "fluid" feel to it.

@Meta4 & @BigAl07

I appreciate the compliments. It was indeed sporty.

Replaced raw video with one the completed videos for the client:

Also think that I might have found a work around on the the altitude restriction that can also help the client by them not having to scaffold the throat of the boiler.

Here is a non-flying question for those who do post production on their videos: what software do you use? I put this together on the iMovie program mostly because it was free and I could do subtitles to identify each of the boilers. Any advice on a paid program that is worth it?

Here is a non-flying question for those who do post production on their videos: what software do you use? I put this together on the iMovie program mostly because it was free and I could do subtitles to identify each of the boilers. Any advice on a paid program that is worth it?

We use a combination of programs but mostly use MovAvi. It has a lot of flexibility and isn't hard to figure out. It's not nearly as feature rich as some of the others but it does just about anything we need. Once in a while I'll pull up Filmora for certain effects bust mostly MovAvi.

Reactions: Herc

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctlfreak