P4P crashes

Reaction score
Hi. I read a lot in different forums about P4P dropping out of sky and crashing. Personally i've never updated firmware in my bird nor the DJI Go app in two years now and never had any issues or what so ever ! Flew 136 hours so far. At the beginning of each flight i wait for the green signal telling me"ready to fly" and than proceed. So what are people doing wrong ? Have i been lucky so far or what ?

Reactions: lasersbee
Hi. I read a lot in different forums about P4P dropping out of sky and crashing. Personally i've never updated firmware in my bird nor the DJI Go app in two years now and never had any issues or what so ever ! Flew 136 hours so far. At the beginning of each flight i wait for the green signal telling me"ready to fly" and than proceed. So what are people doing wrong ? Have i been lucky so far or what ?
All of the Phantom series are very dependable. 90% + of the crashes (maybe more) are pilot error.

Nevertheless, I do recall several posts describing P4's "falling out of the sky" earlier this year and from what I can recall, there was some evidence to suggest the battery compartment had some sort of design flaw allowing the battery to slip out.

I don't fly the P4 but ever since reading those stories I double check that the battery is secure on both of my P3's.

Happy flying!

Yip I lost a p4s due to a bad battery error,heard Tom Pettys song ""free falling"",I think most wait for safe take off but just sometimes things can happen beyond our control and have no choice in the matter I thought exactly what you said till it happened to me,,it certainly plays on the mind of future flights and still haven't gained trust in me new p4 yet knowing at anytime :eek: over land or water the drone don't care,,,

As yous guys said, Battery is not always pushed all the way:astonished: in causing crashes... but could there be some other outside forces interfering with the circuit boards while flying that can result in freezing part of the on-board electronics ??

Reactions: Harleydude
I think such crashes anyway are very rare. Within all P4P that are flying over the world the % of crashes is probably much below 1%. More likely one per 1000 P4. If not counting those which happened by pilot error a drone failure is even much less frequent. I don't have the data but I'm sure that DJI does calculate the probability as it is a basic quality control for the product. Of course almost all crashes come to this or that forum making the picture of relatively frequent and numerous incidents. Making all this into account P4 are very reliable machines and almost never fall down just like that (by itself).
If you have bad luck and have one of such accidents there is nothing you can do. Just relax. It's not the end of the world. Much more falls are due to pilot errors which can be prevented.
About the issues of not properly attached battery there is a cure. Push the battery in with quick push like as you close the doors of the car. If you hear a loud click it is for sure that the battery is securely attached. You can verify this by looking at the up and down side of the battery where the clips are, grab it and gently try to move it up and down. If no movements are detected the battery is properly secured and won't fall out during the flight.

Whatever you do, I'd wouldn't update firmware, that is not the problem for P4 drones falling from the sky. If you have version 1.3.509 (before June 2017) in the craft, that version is valuable to keep. It has the ability to easily change the craft flight parameters.

Reactions: Harleydude
Can’t blame it on the prop mounts, that’s only on the P4. (Change to Pro mounts). Always checking the underside of the battery after insertion is the major problem. As said earlier, It will fly with only the top latch working but it will eventually come loose and fall from the sky. ?

Is it possible to roll back your firmware to that version if someone like an idiot decided to update already (not me of course, I'm asking for a friend) lol....?

That is interesting.... I thought I was the only one.
I haven't updated by P4P+ or Mavic Pro firmware
since I purchased them a few years ago.
They both fly great and have never has any issues
with either of them.
They flew great and as was advertised when I bought
them... So why update and get locked out... as I've heard
at that time.

Jerry

You are absolutely right! The same is with me. I have P3A for five years and P4P for three years now and never come to an issue.

Legacy firmware and legacy apps will keep your drone fun, reliable and YOURS forever. I'm in the same boat.

D

When I first started thinking about getting a phantom drone (was looking at the P3P which I did buy), I saw a lot of stories, or what seemed like a lot, saying how they ‘fly away’ or ‘crash’ with no warning. I spent many hours researching and thinking about whether to buy a DJI or Yuneec drone.

One day I came across this forum and a gentleman (don’t remember his screen name) told someone who was bad mouthing DJI this: you can find plenty of people who come to these forums and complain ‘my DJI drone is a piece of crap, it flew away, or crashed’, but you will almost never find anyone writing how they have zero issues.

After reading that I realized he was right; look at how many phantom drones DJI has sold, then compare that with the number of people complaining about their drone and it’s minuscule. People don’t typically come to these forums to tell everyone how awesome their drone is, they usually want to tell about how their drone malfunctioned and it’s the drones fault.

I know that sometimes there are truly issues that have nothing to do with the pilot, but if we all take the proper precautions before we take off, we’ll all have hours and hours of fun with our drones (no matter who made them...DJI, Yuneec, Syma, etc).

Reactions: LarBear360
Conversely, crash threads garnered more than twice the interest.

In this thread I had experienced prop failure mid flight. So the good news is that I HAVE crashed. The bad news is that it was NOT due to operator failure.

D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31