I can't make my P4P fly away - a thread of a different color...

Good video. The usual first response to a fly away is to blame the software, usually Litchi is the fall guy that gets the blame.
The experts on this forum(not me), have debunked many of the flyaways and found the cause. A very common cause is the wind being too strong at a higher altitude, or not being skilled in Atti mode, or perhaps not even realising you have dropped into ATTI.

Glad you failed to initiate a fly away.

Good video! Agree completely, thanks for sharing.

Good video.

Thank you.

The usual first response to a fly away is to blame the software, usually Litchi is the fall guy that gets the blame.

I've noticed. Hopefully, this video imparts some understanding and debunks some false narratives.

The experts on this forum(not me), have debunked many of the flyaways and found the cause. A very common cause is the wind being too strong at a higher altitude, ...

I may make a video about that, too. Generally speaking, wind is calmer at lower altitudes. So if I feel like I'm fighting a bunch of wind, I'll descend while pushing toward home. This usually works.

...or not being skilled in Atti mode, or perhaps not even realising you have dropped into ATTI.

Touché. ATTI can be your best friend...or your worst enemy.

Glad you failed to initiate a fly away.

Me, too. I've always been kind of curious how these mapping programs would behave under loss-of-signal. Quite honestly, they behaved in a very predictable manner. This technology we have is pretty amazing.

I started off flying gas helicopters in the '80s. My SECOND helicopter had a gyrosensor installed. A younger me thought that THAT was amazing...LOL....

D

Last edited:
Reactions: RunningWithScissors
HD,

Good video and it confirms what I've believed all this time.

Also, I cannot believe you land in those stones!!!!

AD

HD,

Good video and it confirms what I've believed all this time.

Glad you found it helpful and/or useful.

Also, I cannot believe you land in those stones!!!!

AD

Hehe...yeah, that's one of the caveats of my girlfriend's back yard. I can usually squeeze the drone down into the patio, but I had a bunch of camera junk all over the place, so I just landed in the stones.

When I'm out in the field, some of the landing zones are very dubious. I try to make the landing pad as flat as possible, but it's usually a pretty uneven surface.

DSC01472.JPG

D

Wow.

I feel I'm overloaded when I put 5 batteries in the car to go fly.

You've got a Honda Generator in the mix!!

AD

Wow.

I feel I'm overloaded when I put 5 batteries in the car to go fly.

You've got a Honda Generator in the mix!!

AD

Hehe...yessir. We just finished a 1850 acre plot a couple weeks ago (photo taken from that job). We did roughly 600 acres/day for 3 days. That's back-to-back flights for roughly 6 hours (limited by lighting and long shadows with time out for downloading and checking photos). We did roughly 39 flights (13/day).

D

Glad you found it helpful and/or useful.

Hehe...yeah, that's one of the caveats of my girlfriend's back yard. I can usually squeeze the drone down into the patio, but I had a bunch of camera junk all over the place, so I just landed in the stones.

When I'm out in the field, some of the landing zones are very dubious. I try to make the landing pad as flat as possible, but it's usually a pretty uneven surface.

View attachment 99468

D
Great set up, but...... I recommend getting a Hoodman Launch Pad, its got a steel ring built into it, keeps it from flying away, way better than a towel with rocks :) other than that very impressive.

Great set up, but...... I recommend getting a Hoodman Launch Pad, its got a steel ring built into it, keeps it from flying away, way better than a towel with rocks :) other than that very impressive.

That landing pad is made of thick rubber and weighs a ton. If it's windy enough to blow that pad away, we're not flying anyway.

The blue tarp is little more than decoration, just there to keep the bottom of the landing pad clean and give us a little buffer zone. It's lightweight, fold-able, and easily held down with rocks (which we do not have to store or carry). Dare I say, the setup is perfect. It's field tested donchaknow...<;^)

I would like to know what would happen on longer autonomous missions and the batterielevel goes down to a point where DJI GO would initiate a RTH. Will it still try to complete the mission or will it RTH without completing the mission?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl