P4P crash: camera constantly tilts up/down

Reaction score
•Video included•
Experienced a fairly significant drone crash a few weeks ago. Drone hit some tree limbs which broke a prop, sending it spiraling down my yard then skipping across the road. The Drone itself still works to fly, but now the camera constantly tilts up and down. I'm still getting good camera footage, but unable to control the camera with the remote. I have gone through the IMU and gimbal calibration multiple times, to no avail. Once I was able to stop the camera tilt during the IMU calibration and it went through the entire calibration correctly, except after rebooting it went right back to tilting up and down constantly. There are no Nick's in the ribbon connecting the camera, nor are there any visible signs of damage to the camera or gimbal unit or where it connects to anything. I called the closest certified drone repair shop in my town, and I was told they would probably have to replace the entire camera gimbal unit Plus labor which will cost in excess of $750 +. For a $1,200 new out-of-the-box bird, this is an unacceptable cost that I'm willing to swallow. Any suggestions or recommendations that would allow me to troubleshoot this and possibly replace a part myself, otherwise I'm now sitting on $2,500 worth of garbage (extra batteries and accessories will be useless on a non-working drone). I really appreciate up front any help and comments given here. I am greatly Desiring to break into the Drone Imaging business and this was going to be my ticket to start practicing (not photography, but thermal & multispectral. My degree is in remote sensing and GIS, also well aware that this drone does not do any of that, just using it to practice.). Being down a drone at this cost, and at my level, I am unable to repurchase something this expensive... or swallow and $800 repair on something that is not even making me any money yet.
Here is the YouTube link of the footage:

I believe I can help you. I repair these in Clermont Florida. I you want to ship it to me I am sure I can take care of it. I would guess it is either the roll motor or the roll arm. I will PM u

Reactions: kevin261
Had a similar issue, after walking back up to the P4P I found that when it was doing the initial system check the camera was striking a small twig sticking out of the ground I didn't see when I set it down. Basically it saw a resistance (obstruction) when it was calibrating the cameras up and down movement on start up. You said it only stated this after the crash so I'm thinking one of two things, #1 there is something in the pivoting assy that is binding up and not allowing the camera to move freely in the full axis causing the system to reset and try calibration over and over OR #2 the bearing assy or pivot shaft has been bent reducing the movement. At this point it's not under warrenty so if it was my bird I would remove the entire camera base (watch the connections) and piece by piece disassemble the gimbal looking for any dirt, or other obstructions and also making sure nothing was bent or knocked out of place in the pivoting assy.

Hope that helps and GL on finding the cause.

Reactions: Hounddog
From my experience repairing these, the roll arm has a small bend or the pitch motor shaft is bent. It does not take much. With the system off the camera show move freely up and down. Any resistance is a problem

Sooo...did you get this figured out? I’m having a similar problem. I’m just looking for some direction.

I would replace the pitch motor or check for a bend in the roll arm that is causing resistance to the pitch. It is probably one or the other. put up a video so we can see it or does it only happen in the air?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl