P4A+ crazy radar thingy.

Reaction score
I'm pretty new to the Phantom, having just got a P4A+ and everything is fine apart from the radar display on the bottom left of the screen.
I'm really not sure why but the position of the craft is jumping around all over the place. One second its at the 12 noon position, in front of me, the next second it appears to be at 7, behind me, a second later its right on top of me, then 2 o'clock etc!
I've not seen this before - my Mavic is perfectly well behaved and I've never had this issue.
The GPS systems is fine - landing exactly where it's supposed to and the craft's position on the map is exactly where I can see it. The compass has been calibrated a couple of days ago and it seems to be ok but I cant be sure.
Anyone got any ideas on this crazy behaviour?

Here's a video that explains how the attitude indicator should function:

Yeah, ive seen that and I have a fairly good idea of what it should do but my Phantom seems to be doing something totally different, jumping around all over the place!

Feel free to post a video so we can see what you're describing.

I'm really not sure why but the position of the craft is jumping around all over the place. One second its at the 12 noon position, in front of me, the next second it appears to be at 7, behind me, a second later its right on top of me, then 2 o'clock etc!
Do you see this activity visually ( Looking at the Aircraft ) as well? What you are describing is quite confusing without a bit more detail.

Ok, I’ll my best to describe it.
Imagine that you are facing your phantom and it’s facing you but it’s 200m away and up in the sky. You can see your position in the middle and the Phantom should be ahead of you in the radar with the pointy end facing you.
On mine, it’s position on the radar may momentarily flip to directly behind you (at the 6 o’clock position) and then come back again, or it could go to the 3 o’clock position and then come back instantly.
It just flips around all over the radar screen!
It’s completely unstable compared to my Mavic - that behaves like on the video.

It’s completely unstable compared to my Mavic - that behaves like on the video.
A screen capture video of this would be most helpful in diagnosing the issue. The flight logs may also help. If you can't get a screen capture video of this, upload your device flight log to the link below and share a link back here if you would like others to assist in the effort. Instructions are on the link. As I said the screen capture video would help as well.

DJI Flight Log Viewer - Phantom Help

It’s the P4A +. Not sure how to do the compass calibration on the controller. It’s not on any of the menus on the screen. It flashed up once, asking me to move the controller in a figure of 8 but vanished shortly afterwards, never to be seen again!

It’s the P4A +. Not sure how to do the compass calibration on the controller. It’s not on any of the menus on the screen. It flashed up once, asking me to move the controller in a figure of 8 but vanished shortly afterwards, never to be seen again!

Compass calibration on the controller is located under system settings, it is a two-step process. First rotate the controller around its center axis, then do the figure 8 movement.

Yup, I found that an hour ago and did it but strangely, it involves rotating the controller around the vertical and horizontal axis, no sign of the figure of 8 thing!
It does seem a bit better after doing this but the triangle icon in the radar display is still very jittery and just not smooth!
I also did the IMU calibration just to be safe. Seems to have made little or no difference. :(

Yup, I found that an hour ago and did it but strangely, it involves rotating the controller around the vertical and horizontal axis, no sign of the figure of 8 thing!
It does seem a bit better after doing this but the triangle icon in the radar display is still very jittery and just not smooth!
I also did the IMU calibration just to be safe. Seems to have made little or no difference. :(
Is it still under warranty? Contact DJI.

Looks like it's now sorted out. Re-calibrated the RC compass and craft GPS twice and then re-booted both. Seems normal now!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl