P4 Pro has too many transmission glitches now!

I set my air 2 to not auto update. I'm still good. It is extremely unfortunate that dji cannot be trusted with updates to any part of the system but that's the way it is. The safest way to handle the dji system is to fly at a given firmware rev that proves to be working consistently well and then stay there. That includes the app. Any upgrading is a risk and you have to start all over again testing for consistency. It could be fine but it is still risking a properly working system to a firmware update. I'm still on ios 9.1 on my air 2. When it works, I stick. The nag screens to update are a small price to pay for keeping the system working. The only thing I updated lately is litchi and testing is showing all is good. I had no choice but to update so I can use it with my p4p. And that's the key only update when you need to.

I'm sorry but how is this helpful?

I set my air 2 to not auto update. I'm still good. It is extremely unfortunate that dji cannot be trusted with updates to any part of the system but that's the way it is. The safest way to handle the dji system is to fly at a given firmware rev that proves to be working consistently well and then stay there. That includes the app. Any upgrading is a risk and you have to start all over again testing for consistency. It could be fine but it is still risking a properly working system to a firmware update. I'm still on ios 9.1 on my air 2. When it works, I stick. The nag screens to update are a small price to pay for keeping the system working. The only thing I updated lately is litchi and testing is showing all is good. I had no choice but to update so I can use it with my p4p. And that's the key only update when you need to.

@rmfa , I think what @shockwave199 is suggesting, that for many people (I think MOST people) it's a really bad idea to have auto update enabled for your iOS or Android apps, and also your device OS version too. It's best to stick with what works. I totally agree with Shockwave199 because it's a huge risk every time you change. He's doing EXACTLY what I'm doing. There are others in this forum I highly respect that don't agree with that philosophy, but after 2yrs of DJI's shenanigans of how poor they validate software, and undesired features they sneak into new software and firmware without telling us, they just can't be trusted, neither does the Army. DJI also has a record of removing functionality too! Most pilots aren't technical enough to endure the woes of upgrade glitches. One of those glitches can ruin anyone's zen (notice I didn't use the word karma). I love DJI products, but anyone that has lived through the last 2yrs of DJI releases, and spent as much money as I have on DJI hardware, will know you're walking on a tightrope when changing app software or firmware, that's just reality. I hold my breath every time I'm forced into changing my setup (when buying new drones). Everyone can choose their own path, and for the early adopters that yearn for adventure and technical risk, they're doing others (like me) a favor when they report their findings, which I appreciate. More power to them!

Last edited:
It's helpful to consider when initially setting things up and keeping things working consistently along the way. What works for me with my P3 and now p4p is to turn off video caching, choose a custom channel, and keeping the bit rate low. I also use windsurfers. The p4p seems to like 6mbps transmission rate, at least for me. The further you plan to fly, the smaller bit rate you should be using for the most consistent video feed at distance. I prefer 2.4 channel but ymmv. If you still have issues delete the app, reboot your device and reinstall the app. Still have issues refresh the firmware via assistant 2. Still have issues remember to try another cable.

Helpful enough for you now?

That's a good idea that I'll need to try. I've been so happy with 1.3.509 firmware since May that I had literally forgotten about that option. With my P3P I always use custom ch 30, thanks to the hack. I never have to worry about interference with my P3P. Yesterday while flying my P4P the video feed was the worst I had seen, tons of aliasing, pretty garbled video. I should have tried a custom channel on 5.8, instead of relying on AUTO. Today my feed was fine, however I was using Litchi in a programmed flight. I'll try custom channel next time as a test.
I had just made up my mind to finally upgrade my P3P and pull the trigger on a deal I found for a P4 Pro. May wait a bit longer now - though I believe DJI will most likely fix this issue with another firmware update - hopefully soon.

It can also be a space issue, if you delet a bunch of photos and videos as well as flight logs it can help clear that up but i have the same issue and it sounds like its a fw issue, best of luck fly safe!

Reactions: Hounddog
I was having all kinds of transmission and video issues with my P4P and iPad Air. Just upgraded to iPad Pro. No more issues, but I haven't pulled the trigger on the latest firmware update. Has anyone else using iPad Pro tried the update?

Last edited:
I had my p4p for five days and it disconnects and the video turns green. Sent it back, they replaced both antennas and the camera board. Got it back two weeks ago made a couple of flights with the same problems. I’m trying to get my money back now, this p4p obsidian is a piece of crap!

Reactions: Hounddog
I had my p4p for five days and it disconnects and the video turns green. Sent it back, they replaced both antennas and the camera board. Got it back two weeks ago made a couple of flights with the same problems. I’m trying to get my money back now, this p4p obsidian is a piece of crap!

Had exactly same issue. Got a new (replacement) drone from them last fall and had same issues. iPad mini 4 was the problem. The quantity of data being shoved into the A8!processor was choking it causing it to overheat and glitch out. iPad Pro fixed everything. DJI keeps moving the data bar and killing under powered tablets.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
Had exactly same issue. Got a new (replacement) drone from them last fall and had same issues. iPad mini 4 was the problem. The quantity of data being shoved into the A8!processor was choking it causing it to overheat and glitch out. iPad Pro fixed everything. DJI keeps moving the data bar and killing under powered tablets.
Exactly ravedog!

I just updated to newest FW on P4P using iPad Pro. Quick 10 minute flight to spy out the golf course conditions (remaining snow sparse) and came home for my clubs.

I was having all kinds of transmission and video issues with my P4P and iPad Air. Just upgraded to iPad Pro. No more issues, but I haven't pulled the trigger on the latest firmware update. Has anyone else using iPad Pro tried the update?

I just bought a P4p 2 weeks ago...I noticed the green screen and I noticed a lot of lag as well. Seems like every time I went up. Definitely transmission and video problems. I lost it last Monday to a fly away. As soon as I turn the thing on it prompted me for the new firmware so I downloaded it. Just praying that my new phantom doesn’t have the same problems and I’m using an iPad 4 mini

I haven’t tried my iPad 10.5 yet, but both my iPad mini and iPhone X are having severe display transmission glitches, and it seems to be a problem with the fw, as after the update it’s very hard to find a robust channel to use in both the 2.4 and 5.8ghtz ranges. I’m just frustrated beyond belief at the new fw update.

from the beginning it seemed like I was having problems. And then of course two weeks later I lost my bird! Let me tell you about not being happy brother LOL

I haven’t tried my iPad 10.5 yet, but both my iPad mini and iPhone X are having severe display transmission glitches, and it seems to be a problem with the fw, as after the update it’s very hard to find a robust channel to use in both the 2.4 and 5.8ghtz ranges. I’m just frustrated beyond belief at the new fw update.
I know it’s a long shot, but try a different lightning cable.

I’m at a loss. I’m still on the beta firmware that preceded this new release and no issues on iPad or iPhone X. Been reluctant to upgrade.

I’m at a loss. I’m still on the beta firmware that preceded this new release and no issues on iPad or iPhone X. Been reluctant to upgrade.
I had no preoblems to speak of before the latest update, now I'm scared to fly in auto mode.

I agree with John Locke and others above. The newer firmware/s don't appear to work as reliably as the earlier versions. I've had similar probs with my ipad 4 mini since the introduction of iOS 11 and the associated go4 update in October 2017. Before that it worked fine.

I did extensive troubleshooting and tried various adjustments/settings and the only thing that worked was downgrading the aircraft firmware as indicated below. Also I'd be on iOS 10 if I could.

Good luck.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20