P4 Pro battery swollen

Reaction score
Hi guys I have had my P4 pro 18 months, and have discovered one of my batteries has swollen, has a slight bulge top and bottom.. As a result won't fit in the slot. Don't think I have ever overcharged it, I have always watched it while charging. Has anybody ever seen this?

That battery is damaged. It's not safe to use and/or charge. You should safely dispose of it.

Hi guys I have had my P4 pro 18 months, and have discovered one of my batteries has swollen, has a slight bulge top and bottom.. As a result won't fit in the slot. Don't think I have ever overcharged it, I have always watched it while charging. Has anybody ever seen this?

As stated above it has been damaged beyond safe use. While not accusing you, the most common way this happens is by storing it above 60-40% charge since the onboard electronics should protect it from over charging or discharging.

As stated already it's no longer SAFE to use. Even though it may (or may not) indicate it's within operational range "should" you get it into the aircraft it no longer has the PUNCH need for flight operation.

This is called "PUFFING" of the LiPo and common when the battery is overcharged or over discharged (manually or left sitting idle long periods of time).

Here's an interesting and entertaining read on PUFFED LIPO BATTERY:Why...

Reactions: SeabirdP4
BigA107,
Interesting read on your link on lipos thanks.
Sometimes i don't use drone for 2 weeks is it better to store the battery around 40 to 50% in that time?

Sometimes i don't use drone for 2 weeks is it better to store the battery around 40 to 50% in that time?
Check out this post for tips on storing your batteries.

As stated above it has been damaged beyond safe use. While not accusing you, the most common way this happens is by storing it above 60-40% charge since the onboard electronics should protect it from over charging or discharging.

I will watch my batteries like a hawk as I had one swelled battery and took it out to a open field of mine and damaged it on purpose. I wanted to see how much smoke it would make . The amount was crazy . I would not want a battery to do that in my house . I think the smoke would choke everyone in the house . I think I will be storing my drone batteries in my heated shop just to get the risk out of my house . The amount of smoke was like a brush fire . I think the smell could hurt people in the house before they could get out . I have many LiPo battery’s and they now get a new home .( shop )
Moral of the story ::
Get a damaged battery out of your house and away from your family.

I will watch my batteries like a hawk as I had one swelled battery and took it out to a open field of mine and damaged it on purpose. I wanted to see how much smoke it would make . The amount was crazy . I would not want a battery to do that in my house . I think the smoke would choke everyone in the house . I think I will be storing my drone batteries in my heated shop just to get the risk out of my house . The amount of smoke was like a brush fire . I think the smell could hurt people in the house before they could get out . I have many LiPo battery’s and they now get a new home .( shop )
Moral of the story ::
Get a damaged battery out of your house and away from your family.
Yes it's outside

It’s a good reminder to us all who have spare lipos in the house, I will double checking mine.

Won’t fault safety measures but brick-mortar retailers have hundreds of LiPos on the shelf as well as distributors with many more in their warehouses.
LiPos are not timebombs and are safe unless damaged physically or abused during charge-discharge.
They have high energy per density and should be respected but not categorized as unstable.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj