P4 Hard Set Altitude limit?

That 'spec.' is referring to max altitude for operation, i.e. air density.
Thank you, I was about to post that this was my thought as well.

400 feet is not a law here in the US, but flying in violation of that height recommendation can, under the right conditions and with the right witnesses, could get you a reckless endangerment charge. There can be consequence,. until this actually becomes law, which I suspect is not far off.

Thank you, I was about to post that this was my thought as well.

400 feet is not a law here in the US, but flying in violation of that height recommendation can, under the right conditions and with the right witnesses, could get you a reckless endangerment charge. There can be consequence,. until this actually becomes law, which I suspect is not far off.

Yeah, the FAA website is very adamant about the 400 ft....um...rule...suggestion...whatever you wanna call it. lol

Reactions: kenargo
I believe we pledged to stay under 400 in the registration process.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Anyone else notice this in the specs?

Max Service Ceiling Above Sea Level 19685 feet ( 6000 m )

( Software altitude limit: 400 feet above takeoff point )

That sounds like an insanely impressive capability, but I wonder if you can change that 400' limit like you currently can?
Guys, that's in case you are on a mountain.

You can't set it higher than 400.

If you're on a mountain that is 19000 when you start, you can leave it at 400 BUT

If you're on a mountain at 19400, you can only set it to 285.

Guys, that's in case you are on a mountain.

You can't set it higher than 400.

If you're on a mountain that is 19000 when you start, you can leave it at 400 BUT

If you're on a mountain at 19400, you can only set it to 285.
I am sure you can set it above 400 feet, just like on the P3, with a software waiver. You have to, as otherwise you could never be able to fly uphill!

Reactions: Phantom Flyer123
You cannot fly anymore in a no-flyzone with a P3 that has the latest firmware. I guess DJI will do the same with the height limits.

You cannot fly anymore in a no-flyzone with a P3 that has the latest firmware. I guess DJI will do the same with the height limits.
Until the P4 can accurately measure AGL, there will always have to be a range from the launch point elevation to accommodate changing terrain heights, such as the current 500m ascent and 200m descent limits, to stay within 400 feet AGL.

I just watched the vid on Simon's Kitchen Table and one of the comments below was that the poster was in a chat on the DJI forum and one of the mods or whatever said 400 ft is a hard max on the P4. Now - I have also heard on this site that the mods on the DJI forum are wrong - like all the time. So I'm just relaying what I heard. Don't shoot the messenger. :)

Post was made by Michael Hatchey

I just talked to a dji representative friend who confirmed that the 400 feet is the max altitude for the p4

I just talked to a dji representative friend who confirmed that the 400 feet is the max altitude for the p4
But they could do that not to the P3 if they wanted to so why would they not?

At least that wouldn't hurt sales.

Hey DJI, if you're reading, if this is true, I will cancel my order immediately upon finding its true including testing it during my 7 day period.

On a diff forum where there are DJi test members they have said the test P4 they have had for a few weeks is not limited to 400ft. Their DJi Go App version has the same default set and the same 500 meter limit stated. So unless it changes the beta versions of the Go App for the P4 are not limited to 400ft.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
This is from DJI's web site.
Beginner Mode

The Phantom 4’s beginner mode limits Beginner flyers to 100ft (30m) up and away. It also prevents camera tilt controls to allow beginner pilots to familiarize themselves with flying before adding more distance and camera control. When beginner mode is switched off, the Phantom 4 will default to a maximum flight altitude of 390ft (120m) above the takeoff point. This can be adjusted to a maximum of 1640ft (500m). You can also set your own maximum distance.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Beginner Mode

The Phantom 4’s beginner mode limits Beginner flyers to 100ft (30m) up and away. It also prevents camera tilt controls to allow beginner pilots to familiarize themselves with flying before adding more distance and camera control. When beginner mode is switched off, the Phantom 4 will default to a maximum flight altitude of 390ft (120m) above the takeoff point. This can be adjusted to a maximum of 1640ft (500m). You can also set your own maximum distance.
Since the P4 still can't measure AGL, the 200m below and 500m above the launch point only makes sense (like the P3), to allow for elevation changes during flight to maintain 400 feet AGL or less.

For the 400th time, the FAA doesn't make law, they make recommendations to the legislative branch of congress who will or won't enact laws by vote.

The only federal non-congressional body that can set law (and only by precedent) and they make it by striking down lower courts is the SCOTUS who are part of the legislative branch but does not answer to congress and is indirectly appointed by voters as the president picks him/her. Thanks Scalia!

For the 400th time, the FAA doesn't make law, they make recommendations to the legislative branch of congress who will or won't enact laws by vote.

For the 401st time, please stop repeating this. It is 1) off topic, 2) wrong. Any other posts here on this topic will be deleted.

Everyone else, for the 2nd time, the P4 has a 500m limit.

Beginner Mode

Well that's good news!
Still going to wait and see.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20